Rebel stakes/San felipe Stakes

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

follygirl
2yo Maiden

Rebel stakes/San felipe Stakes

Postby follygirl » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:39 pm

The Rebel Stakes with Afleet Alex and Rockport Harbor is about to go off in 8 minutes; The San Felipe with a bunch of Derby contenders will go off at about 7:15 EST in case anyone is interested--

Cathy
Cathy

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:11 pm

Greater Good gave a great performance to beat Rockport Harbor; the sprinter whose brother Unforgetable Max was also a sprinter (how much of a pedigree guru do you have to be to see that? And yet the people who picked him in the Derby Future Wager evidently didn't) finished either last or second to last.

-llbean
Last edited by llbean on Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bcassidy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby bcassidy » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:11 pm

What happened to Afleet Alex? Why didn't he run in the rebel? I just tried to pull up the results but I couldn't find him or a reason he didn't run.
best regards Brendan

follygirl
2yo Maiden

Postby follygirl » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:14 pm

Afleet Alex ran. He just didn't do anything!
c
Cathy

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:20 pm

bcassidy wrote:What happened to Afleet Alex? Why didn't he run in the rebel? I just tried to pull up the results but I couldn't find him or a reason he didn't run.

ceeeeeeeRACK!

I doubt we see double A running any farther than a mile again.

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:36 pm

[quote="llbean"]Greater Good gave a great performance to beat Rockport Harbor; the sprinter whose brother Unforgetable Max was also a sprinter (how much of a pedigree guru do you have to be to see that? And yet the people who picked him in the Derby Future Wager evidently didn't) finished either last or second to last.

-llbean[/quote]

Unforgettable Max is also graded stakes placed twice at 1 1/8 miles. They are out of a Hawkster mare, who is out of a *Hawaii mare. Hard to find more stamina influences than that nowadays. Northern Afleet also won around 2 turns. I suppose you called Smarty Jones and Funny Cide sprinters, too.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:45 pm

>>Greater Good gave a great performance to beat Rockport Harbor.<<

Is Intidab a stamina influence now--or Phone Trick? How about a second dam who was a champion sprinter?

Shepdog
Newborn

Postby Shepdog » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:49 pm

Well, since I'm a Rockport Harbor fan, I've been waiting for this race for a while.

I have to say... I'm pretty impressed with him. I'm glad he got the race under him, and considering all the layoffs and foot issues; plus that stumble and rush from the gate at the opening - he actually did better than I expected him to do this time out. :)

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:55 pm

Sysonby wrote:>>Greater Good gave a great performance to beat Rockport Harbor.<<

Is Intidab a stamina influence now--or Phone Trick? How about a second dam who was a champion sprinter?

An excellent question, Sysonby. We should note though that that fine Champion Sprinter started 32 times and showed some nice versatility in winning the Black Eyed Susans (G2) and finishing second in the prestigious Beldame (GI).

Calling Intidab a stamina influence might be premature given the small sample size of his first crop; but I wouldn't put it past him.

-llbean

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:03 pm

I missed the race, but the Equibase report says Afleet Alex suddenly stopped. I'm guessing he bled or flipped his palate, or possible injury. Hope he's okay.
Rocking H

StrawberryFelidos
Allowance Winner

Postby StrawberryFelidos » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:19 pm

From what I hear Consolidator won his race in record time (1:40.11 ) and by 6 1/2 lengths, whereas Greater Good won his race in a rather slow time (1:44 4/5) by 1/2 length... It's obvious which of those was the more impressive victory today,yet strangely enough I admire Good's record over Consolidator as a whole. Consolidator seems to have his "on" days (today, Breeder's Futurity) in which he whips everyone, and his "off" days (San Vicente, BC Juvie) where he zones out, whereas Good seems to be pretty much in the "on" gear. I guess it's not the how they do it but the consistancy that I like the most.
But then again Consolidator was pretty damn fine today, wasn't he? :wink:
I guess it's all moot anyway, pure speculation until they race one another!
:lol:

StrawberryFelidos
Allowance Winner

Postby StrawberryFelidos » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:27 pm

By the way, anyone seen the picture of the San Filepe win on the Horsephotos homepage? I think I'll call it "Consolidator Posessed" :lol:

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:58 pm

The Santa Anita track--where Consolidator won his race today--was turning in fast times all day. Apparently a MSW winner had come close to setting a track record earlier on the card.

I thought Rockport Harbor did a great job in the Rebel. He was probably short for the race, then stumbled at the start, and still managed to run creditably. I was very impressed by his performance.

citation011
Weanling

Not so Afleet Alex-Rebel Stakes

Postby citation011 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:20 am

What happened??? I watched it in person today- It appears to be a bunch of derby pretenders. Wow--All the hype about the big three 3 year olds at Oaklawn>>>> The most unexpected was Rockports suprise effort -very impressive, but he has a long way to go to be a factor in the Derby. Afleet Alex???? He looked great putting the saddle on- but thats about it! Congrats to GG- but I'm guessing the BSF will be not much better than the 85 he had in the Southwest.

el camino
Allowance Winner

Postby el camino » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:38 am

I think Greater Good was very impressive because of the slow pace. He was/is a deep closer who needs some pace and there was none. He still was able to get to the wire. He also showed some tactical speed breaking well and getting good position from the outside. Looks like a serious derby candidate and 1 1/4 horse. Giacomo was also impressive as he probable was close to the stakes record as well as Consolidator blasted it by 1 1/5 seconds.