Verrazano to Join Shanghai Bobby at Stud ( V Runs Saturday)

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

Verrazano to Join Shanghai Bobby at Stud ( V Runs Saturday)

Postby TJ » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:56 pm

After Verrazano runs in the BC Dirt Mile at SA on Friday, he will be retired to stud and join Shanghai Bobby at Ashford. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/verrazano-be-re ... -dirt-mile
Last edited by TJ on Thu May 15, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:22 am

Verrazano, who was scheduled to enter stud duty this season, will instead be sent to Europe to continue his racing career. I always thought Verrazano would excel as a grass runner. Looking forward to see what he does across the pond. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... pe-in-2014

TJ
Darley line

Re: Verrazano to Join Shanghai Bobby at Stud

Postby TJ » Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Verrazano prepares to make his European Turf Racing Debut for Coolmore's Ireland-based Ballydoyle Stables under the tutelage of Aidan O'Brien. Verrazano is entered to run this Saturday in the G1 JT Lockinge Stakes at Newbury. He's got his work cut out for him to handle Olympic Glory, but I always wanted to see what this guy can do on the grass. TJ

2014 Lockinge Stakes (G1)
5/17/2014, Newbury-GB 1 mile (Turf) 4+ M

1 Chopin A. Wohler, J. Spencer
2 Empire Storm M. Attwater, K. Fallon
3 Montiridge R. Hannon, R. Hughes
4 Olympic Glory R. Hannon, F. Dettori
5 Sruthan P. Deegan, C. Hayes
6 Top Notch Tonto B. Ellison, D. Swift
7 Tullius A. Balding, J. Fortune
8 Verrazano A. O'Brien, J. O'Brien

TJ
Darley line

Re: Verrazano to Join Shanghai Bobby at Stud ( V Runs Saturd

Postby TJ » Sat May 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Verrazano ran a respectable 3rd going a straightaway mile for the first time in his life on turf. As expected Olympic Glory won the race with Tullius running 2nd in the $355,000 Stake. Verrazano was devoid of his customary early foot and made a decent bid from next to last. TJ
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... zano-third

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:43 pm

IMHO he'd do much better in Australia where they are more pace dependent than in Eruope where a strong turn of foot is required.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 18, 2014 7:46 am

bdw0617 wrote:IMHO he'd do much better in Australia where they are more pace dependent than in Eruope where a strong turn of foot is required.

Hi bdw,
I think he'll be just fine where he is. They need to make a name for him in European racing. Part of the motivation in bringing him to Europe to run on the Turf, was because they plan on shuttling him to Australia when he goes to stud. More Than Ready, V's sire has done extremely well at Stud in Australia. When you consider the change in surface and the venue....a straight away mile on the turf, he ran very well. It's a lot for an American horse to negotiate for the first time. American horses never run such a straight distance without a turn. It had to be a bit confusing for V under the circumstances and to switch when the rider asks for it. It's a new game without turns, where most horses will naturally lead into and out of a turn on a different lead. I think this race will help him move forward in his Euro racing experience going a straightaway mile. I'm looking forward to his future races, especially if they opt for him to go a distance with turns to negotiate along the way. The new "British Champions Series" of which the Group I JLT Lockinge Stakes is a part of, will offer Verrazano and his connections a variety of short and long races to choose from...it will be interesting to see which route they will choose for him. The race replay link is below, as well as the "British Champions Series" race calendar. TJ

JLT Lockinge Stake (Group I) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WyAa8cFUU4

British Championship Series http://www.britishchampionsseries.com/f ... endar.html

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue May 20, 2014 2:00 am

A most impressive beast, dwarfed his opposition in the padddock.

Ran on late to take third as most of O'Briens do he will come on leaps and bounds for his seasonal reappearance.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 20, 2014 6:07 am

dublino wrote:A most impressive beast, dwarfed his opposition in the padddock.

Ran on late to take third as most of O'Briens do he will come on leaps and bounds for his seasonal reappearance.

Hi Dub,
I assume you got out to see him, as your mention of his "dwarfing his opposition in the paddock". Glad to hear he didn't loose his good looks:>) I expect his bottom line will help him in his European racing career. Hoping it brings back the great influence of top producer Remedia of King Ranch fame. Her dam was Monade, who was purchased by King Ranch. She being champion 2YO filly in Europe, then champion older mare in France. Monade was a winner of the 1962 English Oaks and Prix Vermeille winner, as well as achieving a second-place finish in the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe. Below is the race replay....seems the link above has been removed due to a copyright infringement. TJ

JLT Lockinge Stakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQy2cEp5xE

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu May 22, 2014 5:42 am

I find some of the things Coolmore are doing are strange - no way I would have taken Verrazano away from the USA this year, the older divisions are weak and this crop of 3yr olds are piss poor.

I can see Verrazano back in the BC Classic come the end of the year.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 22, 2014 8:24 am

dublino wrote:I find some of the things Coolmore are doing are strange - no way I would have taken Verrazano away from the USA this year, the older divisions are weak and this crop of 3yr olds are piss poor.

I can see Verrazano back in the BC Classic come the end of the year.

Hi Dub,
I doubt V will return to run in the BC Classic. I believe Coolmore's reasons in sending V overseas, was to get some group race status, focusing on being earned in the British Championship Series. In this way showing his versatility in handling the turf and to enhance his stud career in the European market, where it seems they have decided to stand him.
I don't agree with you concerning this season's 3YO crop, but that's horse racing....although it is a good thing, if our opinions were the same, racing would be very boring:>) TJ

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu May 22, 2014 12:54 pm

It's not the European market they're really after, it's a dual-hemisphere stallion. Verrazano is a son of More Than Ready who doesn't carry Danehill or Encosta de Lago, he was an early runner, and he's fast. He has the female family to appeal to the Europeans, and if he runs well on the grass against the toughest milers in the world, he'll get more attention up there.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu May 22, 2014 2:50 pm

He's not a 10 furlong horse anyway, I thought he proved that last year.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 22, 2014 3:00 pm

kimberley mine wrote:It's not the European market they're really after, it's a dual-hemisphere stallion. Verrazano is a son of More Than Ready who doesn't carry Danehill or Encosta de Lago, he was an early runner, and he's fast. He has the female family to appeal to the Europeans, and if he runs well on the grass against the toughest milers in the world, he'll get more attention up there.

Hi Kimberley,
I agree, it's not just the Euro market, though I'm sure there will be a positive response to him considering his connections. I also said, in response to bdw...Part of the motivation in bringing him to Europe to run on the Turf, was because they plan on shuttling him to Australia when he goes to stud. More Than Ready, V's sire has done extremely well at Stud in Australia. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:20 am

Verrazano retired to stud injured....

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... 04829/top/

Strange decision to bring him over here 0-3 and could have easily taken a G1 this year in America.

Maybe Coolmore should rename themselves the dumb ass trio and go play basketball against some kids in wheelchairs - they are doing some strange things of late...
Edited by Moderator