Will D. Wayne Lukas win another Derby?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Keith
Grade III Winner

Will D. Wayne Lukas win another Derby?

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:24 pm

D. Wayne Lukas looks tough with Consolidator and Going Wild. Lucas has done well in the Triple Crown races. Will he win another Derby?
Last edited by Keith on Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:25 pm

Do you mean D. Wayne Lukas?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Keith
Grade III Winner

Lukas looks tough

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:35 pm

Lukas looks tough but will he have his horses peak too soon? Lukas has won many of the preps over the years and came up short in the Derby many times but he has also done well over the years in the Triple Crown races. Remember the days of Lukas and Woody Stephens in the Triple Crown races. Zito, Pletcher, and Frankel also look tough this year. I would like to see an underdog win it like Greater Good. Greater Good keeps on winning and still does not get much respect as a top Derby contender. He does not dominate his races but he gets the job done and that is what counts.

Keith

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:37 pm

Go Greater Good.... and win for the underdogs. It would be the first horse from the Phone Trick line... and by a son standing for a mere $3500.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:48 am

hi Keith

You ask "Will he (D. Wayne Lucas) win another Derby?

Strictly conjecture...but...

...I'd say the odds might be 5-2...as to the question...Will he win another Derby (any Derby) ?

Whereas I'd say the odds might be 11-1...as to the question...Will he win another Ky Derby ?

With D. Wayne...almost anything is possible. He can still train and does still get some stock (although not what he was afforded years ago) that seems to be designed for that kind of racing. And when Lucas has his hands on the goods he can get a horse ready for a specific race better than most.

Respectfully

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:12 pm

I think FOS was right on. Will he win another Derby ? Who knows. But can he win another Derby, absolutely. As long as this man is in the game he can win this race.

His percentages are already up from 2004, which was a bad year for him. I think in some ways he was a victim of circumstances last year. He rode Pat Day alot, who was hurt and the horses didn't do well and then he had trouble getting jocks and it's a snowball.

I really think he's not done yet. He's a very competitive man. you also have to consider he's lost almost all of his longtime assistants, something he is very proud of and should be. I think he's got a few tricks up his sleeve, maybe Breeder's Cup, which is where he really shines.

I'll never forget Spain for $56, don't count this man out.