wow :lol:

lol Romans beat his ass at that lol. Romans is my new fav trainer
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

hpkingjr

Re: Indian Charlie / Dale Romans get it on at CD backstretch

Postby hpkingjr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:39 pm

FROM THE LOUISVILLE CJ
Eddie Musselman, publisher of the irreverent and satirical Indian Charlie backside newsletter, has been suspended 30 days by the Churchill Downs stewards and ordered into an anger management program for getting into a fight with trainer Dale Romans.

Romans was not sanctioned. Tammy Fox, Romans' life partner who jumped in after the fight broke out on the Churchill backside last Thursday, received a 15-day suspension and mandated anger management.

The rulings, issued Wednesday afternoon, have not yet been posted on the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission's website. But Romans and Musselman's attorney, Bob Heleringer, told The Courier-Journal what the sanctions were, and Kentucky chief state steward Barbara Borden confirmed

Borden said a stewards hearing was held Sunday. She said Musselman was cited for being the aggressor in an altercation, Fox for being a participant in an altercation and Romans was not cited because "he was swung at, and he defended himself."

Fox told The Courier-Journal shortly after the fight that she'd been hit and was protecting herself. Fox also said that she ultimately pulled Romans out of the fight.

Romans said Fox will appeal.

"I'll comment for her," he said. "I don't think she should have any punishment, either, just like I didn't. Our reports strictly say she was trying to help break up the fight."

Heleringer said he did not yet know if they will appeal the stewards' ruling. In such an appeal, a hearing officer holds a formal hearing and makes recommendations to the racing commission.

"We're exploring our options," Heleringer said. "There are so many things to take into consideration: Whether or not this could end up in court, either in a criminal sense or in a civil suit, whether initiated by us or the Romans' side of this. Unfortunately, the window for an appeal is very short, only 10 days. So if we want to go to the commission, we'd certainly ask for a stay as part of that appeal.

"I'm inclined to recommend that he does appeal. There are lots of unfair things in life, and I hate to use the term miscarriage of justice, but it's pretty close. We expected a fine; maybe everybody would get a fine. That's what these fights usually result in from altercations between jockeys or other people on the track. This was nothing more than that."

Musselman reportedly told the head of Churchill Downs security and others that he threw the first punch because he thought Romans and Fox were about to jump him. Asked by the C-J about that after the fight, Musselman only said that "I think we were already in the fighting stage" when the punch was thrown.

Musselman declined to speak to a reporter Wednesday on the advice of Heleringer. The attorney said the security report "pointed fingers at everybody."

"We believe Dale Romans was the aggressor and Eddie was only defending himself, and there's a witness to that effect in the security report," Heleringer said. "That's what we argued on Sunday. I said we acknowledge there was an altercation, we acknowledged we participated in it. We denied that we were the aggressor, but that it happened and unfortunately it happened. Both sides were injured. My client looks like he went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Somebody beat him up pretty good. He needs medical attention and he's getting it."

Musselman wrote a scorching commentary about Romans in his June 14 newsletter. Romans said that he and Fox were heading to watch a horse work on turf when they ran into Musselman near their barn. Romans said he only wanted to talk to Musselman when Musselman took a swing at him and the brawl began.

"I hope this is the end of it," Romans said. "It's an unfortunate incident that I wish had never happened, but I've got bigger and better things to look forward to the rest of the summer."

Contact Jennie Rees at 502-582-4042. Follow her on Twitter @CJ_Jennie, Facebook.com/CJJennie and courier-journal.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.