TDN magazine on synthetic tracks

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

ides of ice
Maiden Special Weight

TDN magazine on synthetic tracks

Postby ides of ice » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:51 pm

He that lives in a glass house throws no stones.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: TDN magazine on synthetic tracks

Postby DDT » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:30 am

ides

Yes, it is a really good article however, as usual, the track owners and track management are motivated by handle, and racing on the safest surface available is not conducive to profit, and of course if you want to be considered as a site for the Breeder's Cup you change back to dirt, the surface that has the worst record for safety. These people have always had their head in the sand and are the kings and queens of double talk. They continue to state that integrity and safety are the two most important factors in racing but their actions tell a different story. They continue to keep their collective heads in the sand while their world crumbles around them in regards to drugs and race day medications. They continue to butt heads concerning race dates and ignore the fact that if they continue to operate against each other instead of work on schedules that do not conflict with each other the future appears to be very bleak. It took years before they realized that lowering the minimum wager produces a larger handle in the long run. During the period 1980-2010 I personally churned an average of $1,000.00 a day, 6/7 days a week, I can count on one hand the number of track visits I have made since 2010. Even hardcore players like myself reach a point where it is almost impossible to generate a profit with the small fields and lack of competition.

As an example only, ignoring the fact that Hall of Fame trainers and jockeys can joke about using electronic/mechanical devices to win races on film and not be called to task for it demonstrates the lack of integrity common in the sport today. There was a time when that sort of thing was not tolerated, now they just look the other way.

DDT

ides of ice
Maiden Special Weight

Postby ides of ice » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:17 pm

I have to wonder if the current breeding practices are partly to blame for these breakdowns. Also, the fact that more breakdowns happen during training than racing is interesting.
He that lives in a glass house throws no stones.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Breeding, especially close inbreeding, could certainly share some of the blame, however the track surface, maintenance and upkeep are more than likely the main cause along with previous injury which can be masked by the use of medication. I do not have the actual numbers on hand, but I believe there are at the very least twice as many horses working out as opposed to horses racing on a daily basis at the majority of tracks, plus you have to consider that the average horse works many more times that he/she races in any given year, thus many more opportunities for a mishap.

DDT