Margano gelded?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Margano gelded?

Postby Heidilady » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 pm

His Equibase page has him as a "G" for gelding. When did that happen? I saw "his" FB page showed works where they referred to him as a 5yo horse as in still intact, so I'm confused.

If it's true, I guess they figure they've got Lentenor and Nicanor at stud and don't need to preserve all the Barbaro brothers' genes for breeding, but did he have any sort of temperament issue or discomfort that led to that? Is it inhibiting his best performance? I remember them being particularly high on him as a baby. If he was gelded, I assume we're more likely to see him racing a little while longer.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Margano gelded?

Postby Cree » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 am

There is no major draw to any of these horse's other than they are full brothers to ill-fated Barbaro. They will never be him, or replace him. It seems realistic to me to geld Margano, simply because the other 2 are not exactly popular in the breeding shed. Maybe they should try him over jumps?

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Postby Affirmed1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:02 am

Sadly, none of the three brothers really did anything on the racetrack to justify standing them as stallions.
My fear is that the rescues will be advertising unwanted horses who are "nieces and nephews" of Barbaro in a few years. Between the lack of achievement on the racetrack and the posible passing on of the difficult Dynaformer temperament, I really fear for the future of the offspring of the two UNgelded brothers. :(

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 am

if i actually had a farm, and i had a daughter, i'd pay a pretty penny to have one of barbaro's brothers as a riding horse or something like that
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein