The Pacific Classic

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

The Pacific Classic

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:34 pm

Interesting race Sunday at Del Mar. Two classy 3YO's, Shared Belief and Toast of New York take on the best older horses on the west coast over the all weather surface. PP's below. TJ

10th Race. The 24th Running of the $1 Million TVG Pacific Classic (Grade I) Purse $1,000,000 Guaranteed One Mile And One Quarter(All Weather) FOR THREE-YEAR-OLDS AND UPWARD.

1 FRAC DADDY (L) '10 C 124 Garcia, A Magic City Thoroughbred Partners McPeek, Kenneth
2 IRISH SURF (L) '10 C 124 Trujillo, E Gainesway Stable or Thor-Bred Stable LLC Hendricks, Dan
3 IMPERATIVE (L) '10 G 124 Desormeaux, K KM Racing Enterprise, Inc. Papaprodromou, George
4 ICE CREAM TRUCK (L) '10 G 124 Pereira, Tiago J. Seacoast Racing, LLC Avila, A.
5 GAME ON DUDE (L) '07 G 124 Garcia, M Diamond Pride, LLC , Lanni Family Trust, Mercedes Stable, LLC or Bernard Schiappa Baffert, Bob
6 YOU KNOW I KNOW (L) '09 G 124 Edwin A. Maldonado Anthony J. Chacon or Paul M. Mangini, Jr. Sadler, John
7 MAJESTIC HARBOR (L) '08 H 124 Baze, T Gallant Stables, LLC McCarthy, Sean
8 TOAST OF NEW YORK (L) '11 C 118 Espinoza, V Michael Buckley Osborne, Jamie
9 CLUBHOUSE RIDE (L) '08 H 124 Talamo, J Six-S Racing Stable or Nikolas Petralia Lewis, Craig
10 MYSTERY TRAIN (ARG) '10 R 124 Perez, F Red Baron's Barn LLC or Rancho Temescal Vienna, Darrell
11 SHARED BELIEF (L) '11 G 118 Smith, M Jungle Racing LLC, KMN Racing LLC, Jerry
Hollendorfer, Jason Litt, Alex Solis II or George Todaro Hollendorfer,
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1369520

dublino
Grade I Winner

Re: The Pacific Classic

Postby dublino » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:25 am

The Dude is a good yard stick for the 3yr olds.

I think he might just come out on top here over Shared Belief.
Edited by Moderator

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:39 am

game on dude is going to run shared belief in the ground
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Majestic Harbor to upset both, mostly because I'm feeling ornery.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Hubba hubba Mahubah! :wink:

I think THE DUDE is one dimensional, and will not get the uncontested lead he needs to win.

I want SHARED BELIEF to win and think he will be close, but kinda like Mahubah's pick MAJESTIC HARBOR to win!

It should be a great race.
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:17 pm

I second the Majestic Harbor pick. I think Clubhouse Ride will also factor.

walaa
Starters Handicap

Postby walaa » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Toast of New York and Mystery Train :) At least this and the Travers will be much better betting races than the last few, lots of longer odds, and the mile and a quarter is always a curveball for at least a quarter or more of the fields

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:48 pm

There are quite a few horses in here that look good, but seem to be less effective over the all weather surface. Del Mar will be following suit and will return to the dirt at the end of this meet. Keeping that in mind I will try to focus on the AW surface horses. TJ

1st: Shared Belief undefeated in 5 lifetime starts and four of those wins came over the all weather surface. Mike Smith jumps off Game on Dude to ride this 3YO.
2nd: Toast of New York another 3YO had 6 career starts winning 3 and finishing 2nd over the all weather surface while earning $1,208,119 in the process. His two off the board finishes came over the turf. Sharp, hands-on, Euro trainer reaches out for Derby and Preakness winning rider Victor Espinoza.
3rd: Game On Dude gets Martin Garcia to replace Mike Smith...it worked well before, when Baffert gave MG the mount on Bayern in the Haskell after Gary Stevens went in for repairs.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:12 pm

I am rooting for Shared Belief. His first huge test. The horse has been nothing but sensational, he likes the surface, and Hollendorfer has eased him into this. Betting wise, I am not winning any money. I am realistic about that.

I think Dude and the import horse Mystery Train will use each other up. Irish Surf woke up in his last race, I like him to be in the top 3.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:09 pm

of all the races everywhere, the pacific classic is my fav by a long country mile. The atmosphere, is everything I think racing should be. At night, the sun is setting, you can smell the ocean from the track, the track is packed with people. I love the race.

- Einstein

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:42 pm

taking a stab with clubhouse ride.

- Einstein

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:59 pm

Here's the finish:

Shared Belief
Toast Of New York
Imperative
Game On Dude

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:11 am

Was there an inquiry here?

I have seen horses getting DQ'd for less in American races.

What was Garcia doing on Game on Dude why he took that horse on early for the lead?
He was out on his feet after 6f.

Good win for Shared Belief but lucky to keep the race imho.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:10 am

dublino wrote:Was there an inquiry here?

I have seen horses getting DQ'd for less in American races.

What was Garcia doing on Game on Dude why he took that horse on early for the lead?
He was out on his feet after 6f.

Good win for Shared Belief but lucky to keep the race imho.

Hi Dub,
It looked like the call was correct and I stood to make a few extra "bob" if they reversed it. Game on Dude appeared to come out slightly (tiring from his early effort) while Shared Belief came in slightly just as Toast Of New York attempted to make his bid between them for the lead. If Espinoza had more horse and got in between those two, the stewards most likely would have taken him down....there was no contact made between the top two. Toast Of New York did have to steady....but it was not nearly as severe as the rider made it look, he was never in danger of clipping heels and going down, which would have been the case if Game On Dude or Shared Belief ducked in sharply.
It reminded me when Angel Cordero was riding and he would play to the crowd and the stewards...we called it "grandstanding". Yanking up on his horse at the opportune time, while knowing he was 2nd best before they sprung the gate:>) Take a look at the replay below and see what you think. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:35 am

Don't know about that one TJ if the horses were reversed and the small trainer from Englands horse came across the 2yr Old American Champ and sideswiped him like that the places would have been changed.

Shared Belief got away with one the head on clearly shows he changed "lanes" and took up Toasts turf.

I have seen far less "incidients" and the horse DQ'ed.

Yes best horse won the race clearly but hmmm............
Edited by Moderator