Daredevil

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

Daredevil

Postby TJ » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Let's Go Stable of Verrazano fame, looks like they have another running More Than Ready colt. His name is Daredevil and he's scary good. Track was muddy and sealed for his Belmont debut and he couldn't have been more impressive. Daredevil is a 1/2 brother to BC Dirt Mile and Donn Handicap winner, Albertus Maximus. Will have to see the same performance over a fast track before getting too high on him, since he was bred to love today's surface? TJ
http://www.nyra.com/belmont/videos/race ... 913/9/pan/

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Daredevil

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:41 pm

I was just going to start a thread about Daredevil. I watched that race and I agree that he did look very impressive. Despite being his debut, Daredevil was the favorite, indicating that people knew about him already. His works have been good as well.

He should be able to stretch out as his BM sire is Forty Niner and his 2nd dam sire is Sunny's Halo. He is inbred to Mr. P (4x3) and Halo (3x4). Sounds like a good combination.

Anyway, Daredevil should be one to watch.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Daredevil is entered in the Champagne Stakes Saturday (10/4) at Belmont. It is the 8th race and the purse is $500,00. I think it is a grade 1 stakes race.
Shawklit Won.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Daredevil is entered in the Champagne Stakes Saturday (10/4) at Belmont. It is the 8th race and the purse is $500,00. I think it is a grade 1 stakes race.

Hi Shawklit,
Look a couple posts below, the past performances are listed there for the GR I Champagne Stakes. Daredevil has to prove he has similar form over a fast track. Though he may get the same track Saturday, as rain is very likely? Still no gimme, some nice 2YO colts are in the field.
Also Saturday is the GR I Frizette Stakes and you might be interested to know a 1/2 sister to Alto Sky is in the field....her name is Feathered. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Daredevil still has to show he can handle a fast track...but he was very impressive today winning the GR I Champagne S as the rider pleased. He received a huge 107 beyer in the process. TJ

http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:49 pm

TJ: I think that Daredevil will be able to handle a fast track OK. I just hope that he stays healthy. If he does, then I think that he should be a Derby horse next year, and definitely a Breeders Cup Juvenile colt this year.

I think that the slop hurt all the horses in the Champagne today. 1:36 and change is good under those conditions, IMHO. Especially for a 2YO.
Shawklit Won.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:TJ: I think that Daredevil will be able to handle a fast track OK. I just hope that he stays healthy. If he does, then I think that he should be a Derby horse next year, and definitely a Breeders Cup Juvenile colt this year.

I think that the slop hurt all the horses in the Champagne today. 1:36 and change is good under those conditions, IMHO. Especially for a 2YO.

Hi Shawklit,
I still have to see it.....he's out of a Forty Niner mare? We haven't had a top 2YO make it all the way in a long time. Though this guy looks really special, his rider (Johnny Velazquez) had to go out of town to ride Wise Dan. While he was there he won a GR I on another Pletcher 2YO, who ran just as impressively at Keeneland over a fast track as Daredevil was at Belmont. Keep your eyes on this one also....Carpe Diem. Race video below. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:51 am

I definitely think this colt is a good one, but the slop kind of "muddles" it a bit. IMO

I am also quite a pessimist and don't see this horse making it to the Derby...Pletcher's slower developers are the ones I like to look out for.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:58 am

Cree wrote:I definitely think this colt is a good one, but the slop kind of "muddles" it a bit. IMO

I am also quite a pessimist and don't see this horse making it to the Derby...Pletcher's slower developers are the ones I like to look out for.

Hi Cree,
That's how I feel...though in most cases today, the purses are so good for 2YO's they keep pushing to make the big pots and don't look forward to the TC events as they did in the golden years of racing when a good 2YO could take that form into the Derby and stay sound. These babies can take just so much of that before springing a leak....especially when they have great ability, chances of getting hurt are increased. I expect Daredevil to handle the fast track OK, just want to see him do it first.
Did you take a look at Carpe Diem....he looks like a good one too. Both these Pletcher 2YO's earned a fee free berth into the BC Juvenile and Johnny V has the call on both of them. The 2YO he goes to will probably be key in accessing who is the better of these two. TJ

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:04 pm

Great day for Pletcher yesterday.

I will be rooting for Daredevil in the BC Juvenile, but Carpe Diem might just seize the day.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Another impressive thing about Daredevil's race is that the rider never went to the whip. I noticed that the other jockeys did, but Daredevil just cruised along on a hand ride.

He had no trouble stretching out to a mile, and I don't expect him to have trouble going longer than that.

I think that he is the real deal. Just stay healthy Daredevil.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:50 am

HI TJ,
I watched both races, but to be honest, I like Carpe Diem a little more (of course who doesn't like a $1.6 million horse?). I thought his race was very impressive. Daredevil's was too, but I thought Carpe Diem's won with "authority". Like you said, the jockey decision in the BC Juvenile might tell us. Both look like really nice colts, but I still think American Pharoah is the one to beat going into the Juvenile, although he hasn't face something like these 2 in California.