Doug O'Neill Suspended by NYRA

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

bdw0617
Darley line

Doug O'Neill Suspended by NYRA

Postby bdw0617 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:47 am

http://www.drf.com/news/oneill-suspende ... commission

this is a joke. he doesn't even really race there lol. suspended from a track where he doesn't race. that'll show em
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

dublino
Grade I Winner

Re: Doug O'Neill Suspended by NYRA

Postby dublino » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Also suspended from this years breeders cup.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:26 am

They're after this guy with a full magazine...additional 45 days applied (read below). He's got a couple for the BC, wonder if they will be taken away from him and given to another trainer to participate? California has been after him a long time and got him through the back door with the help of NYRA. Although O'Neill was not in NY at the time of the positive on his horse, the trainer responsibility rule always prevails and the trainer is held solely responsible. This rule could use another look....but it is well used by authorities to knock out certain trainers they deem undesirable. I'm not defending "Drug" O'Neill (as he's affectionately been called in the press:>), but I do question the trainer responsibility rule which can't account for the action of any employee who might have larceny in their blood? TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/probation-viola ... suspension

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:46 am

Just saw this....they gave O'Neill a pass and will allow his assistant to run the horses in his name?? Makes no sense, especially since he could have been the guy that was in charge of the horse who tested positive in NY. They go one step forward and two steps back. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/oneills-horses- ... tants-name

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:47 pm

What's the point? They might as well not suspend him. They need to improve on this rule.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:59 am

TJ wrote:They're after this guy with a full magazine...additional 45 days applied (read below). He's got a couple for the BC, wonder if they will be taken away from him and given to another trainer to participate? California has been after him a long time and got him through the back door with the help of NYRA. Although O'Neill was not in NY at the time of the positive on his horse, the trainer responsibility rule always prevails and the trainer is held solely responsible. This rule could use another look....but it is well used by authorities to knock out certain trainers they deem undesirable. I'm not defending "Drug" O'Neill (as he's affectionately been called in the press:>), but I do question the trainer responsibility rule which can't account for the action of any employee who might have larceny in their blood? TJ

What I don't understand is the arbitrary application of the trainer responsibility rule. What is going on with Granitz in IN? His assistant trainer was suspended and Granitz himself is not. Not much parallelism with O'Neill's New York case.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:12 am

ct2346 wrote:
TJ wrote:They're after this guy with a full magazine...additional 45 days applied (read below). He's got a couple for the BC, wonder if they will be taken away from him and given to another trainer to participate? California has been after him a long time and got him through the back door with the help of NYRA. Although O'Neill was not in NY at the time of the positive on his horse, the trainer responsibility rule always prevails and the trainer is held solely responsible. This rule could use another look....but it is well used by authorities to knock out certain trainers they deem undesirable. I'm not defending "Drug" O'Neill (as he's affectionately been called in the press:>), but I do question the trainer responsibility rule which can't account for the action of any employee who might have larceny in their blood? TJ

What I don't understand is the arbitrary application of the trainer responsibility rule. What is going on with Granitz in IN? His assistant trainer was suspended and Granitz himself is not. Not much parallelism with O'Neill's New York case.

Hi Ct,
This suspension hinged on a security guard seeing a vet with a handful of syringes walking into a stall he thought was Granitz "in today" horse (Tam Tuff)? Vets routinely fill two or three syringes outside the barn, then proceed to the horse or horses they will be treating. If this vet was looking to do something illegal, would he have the syringes visible when entering the barn? Yet this same security guard didn't immediately tell the stewards and waited till the following day?? This enabled the horse to run and allowed this situation to get as far as it is now....sounds fishy to me. There is also a claim by the vet and Estvanko that the security guard had the barns mixed up? They circumvented the sole trainer responsibility rule by stating that the stall was issued to both trainer Granitz and assistant trainer Richard Estvanko and since Granitz was not there, the trainer responsibility rule fell on Estvanko? I've never heard of a stall being issued to both the trainer of record and his/her assistant trainer. If this was the norm, then both O'Neill and Ricky Dutrow would have a case to overturn their rulings, since neither of these two trainers were present in NY when they received their suspensions and in Dutrow's case banned for 10 years? On the bright side, this ruling may start a move against the "sole trainer responsibility rule" and further look into who was on the grounds with the horse at the time. It may also set precedence for overturning many suspensions that were given to trainers who were not on the grounds at the time of an infraction...can of worms anyone:>)TJ

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:18 pm

I agree that its now has the potential to become a giant can of worms. Trying to create some parallels to the real world. Perhaps the onsite trainer/assistant picks up "20" days and the absent "responsible" party picks up "10".

Interesting to see that the Estvanko wife went after the security guard.