Consolidator and Andromeda's Hero

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Consolidator and Andromeda's Hero

Postby George William Smith » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:05 pm

Interestingly, I analyzed 12 yearlings for Fusao Sekiguchi. Two of those I analyzed are now called Consolidator and Andromeda's Hero, both on the Kentucky Derby trail.

To show you how sharp I am, I liked them all since I knew they all had vetted out and were outstanding individuals. But when push came to show, I ranked Consolidator 10th of 12 and Andromeda's Hero 11th of 12.

My top pick was a Kingmambo-Isle De France named Baie des Flamands and I have no idea of whether he ever got to the track. Maybe it was the Nureyev 3,2 through Miesque and Isle De France that I loved that was my undoing.

:oops: :oops:

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:00 am

George, you tell the best stories. Probably because you're not afraid to tell them on yourself. :)

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:57 am

George who are your favorite clients too work for? Who is the best yearling that you ever recommended to an owner that the owner did not buy only to become a champion?
Thx
FM

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Clients

Postby George William Smith » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:49 pm

Easy answer with regard to clients:
I prefer clients who listen to what I say [not just give lip service], weight their options then make their own decisions whether they choose my recommendations or not and then keep me updated on what is happening with their horses.

With regard to Champions, I know of a few regional Champions, but none at a higher level or that I can remember.

I have not been highly used as a bloodstock consultant in yearling purchases or as a pedigree analyst for that matter. That part of most thoroughbred operations is usually sewed up by long entrenched bloodstock agents or the trainers of the owners horses, even though many of them are incompetent and/or just plain nefarious.

That's why when an owner/breeder find a knowledgeable bloodstock agent or trainer or pedigree analyst, they should treat them like gold as they are not a common item. Money attracts all kinds. So check your pockets and see if someone else has their hand in your pocket.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:06 am

Bloodstock agent seems like a perfect term. I would guess at least half have the clients interests at heart? Eventhough they have none! lol

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:35 pm

When I look into a TB eyes, not to look for the breeders eye vs racing eye. I am talking about the ability to read a TB mind by the expression of his eyes, as the eyes of the TB are the camera to the brain.

I have made a million notes in my mind to separate the class TB vs the also ran TB.

When I was a racing pigeon fancier, I would attend the auctions where hundreds of pigeons were put up for sale. I would look for the intelligence of those superior individuals that had a class look about them that would separate them from the rest, as their eyes tell you their class level.

At the fall of the last hammer, I would see how my selections rated to the sale topper and the top 5, as their cost.

I would most always select the sale topper and the top 5 were on my list many times.

This is my way I look for class TB that have the heart of a lion and intelligence of a superior individual.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:42 pm

George,

I would not be so harsh on yourself until we see what pans out here this year. This is a very odd year with "Derby Trail". horses running inconsistently. I think a good bit of this trail crop may end up "distance challenged". Also, for one reason or another, I can't ever recall seeing such well bred 3YO maidens starting in MSW at Gulfstream this year. For some reason, they could not get to the races at 2. Usually it's a few, but this years 3YO MSW races look more like 2YO MSW's at Saratoga for the breeding of them, big sires.