Scipion Off the Triple Crown Trail

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

LSB
Grade II Winner

Scipion Off the Triple Crown Trail

Postby LSB » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:23 am

He fractured a cannon bone during a work.

This come from the Daily Racing Form:

Scipion fractures leg in workout
By JAY PRIVMAN
ARCADIA, Calif. - Scipion, the winner of last month's Risen Star Stakes at Fair Grounds, came out of a workout on Wednesday at Santa Anita with a fractured right hind cannon bone, his trainer, Patrick Biancone, said Thursday morning.
According to Biancone, Scipion suffered a non-displaced condylar fracture, which was to be repaired via surgery on Thursday at a nearby clinic operated by Dr. Vince Baker.

"We will operate and then go from there," said Biancone, who said Scipion would be out several months. "Fortunately, the break is non-displaced. It's nice and clear."

An A.P. Indy colt owned and bred by Virginia Kraft Payson, Scipion most recently finished sixth in the Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds. His next scheduled start was the Grade 1, $750,000 Santa Anita Derby on April 9. He has won twice in six starts.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:11 am

hi LSB

Unfortunate...arguably Scipion had a running style (and pedigree) that might have been very well suited for the classics. Hopefully we'll see him return this fall...or in 2006. He seems like a horse that should get better with age...hopefully his time off (although not by choice) will do him some good.

Assuming he recovers to his connections' satisfaction...do you expect he'll resume his racing career in California ? The Southern Cal racing surfaces (at least every once-in-a-while) seem to get some not-so-kind reviews.

Any thoughts on the Southern Cal racing surfaces ?

Respectfully

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:51 am

FOS, so far, I'm only familiar with the racing surfaces in Kentucky and Florida. So my opinion of the California tracks would be anecdotal at best.

What I'm wondering is whether the notion that Scipion will be "out several months" is overly optimistic. A nice colt out of one of my mares had a condylar fracture in 2003 and is just now resuming his career.

I'd love to see Scipion race again. I hope he doesn't end of being one of those that's retired to stud early.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:42 am

hi LSB

I felt (as apparently you did also) that Biancone's "out several months" comment might be "overly optimistic" (at least based on the limited info we've been offered). That's why I commented "Hopefully we'll see him return this fall...or in 2006."

As you know...G3 winner Scipion's pedigree has a lot of potential market appeal...and needless to say...his 2-yo champion half-brother Vindication is arguably one of the hottest young thoroughbred commodities in the world today.

I expect it's fair to say that Mrs. Payson would love to get her Scipion back to the races in tip-top shape...and something tells me that his connections will attempt to do all the right things in hopes of accomplishing that.

Hopefully the best of Scipion (as a race horse) is yet to come.

Best to you.

Respectfully

ballymoss
Yearling

Postby ballymoss » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:28 pm

Another recipe for unsoundness comes to fruition:

SCIPION:

THREE CROSSES OF ULIMATE UNSOUNDNESS OF TURN-TO, and

TWO OF THE BROKEN-DOWN HAIL TO REASON.

When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn.

Houses (or horses) built on WEAK FOUNDATIONS have no future.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:48 pm

Ballymoss,

Could you use your "Turn-To = Unsoundness Theory" to predict for me the next big one to break down?

I ask because the way you always wait until After the horse breaks down somehow seems to take the challenge out of prediction and it may be compared to a Cowboy in a Rodeo Riding a Female Bull (also known as a "Bullete").

-llbean

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:00 am

:lol: Well put, llbean... Also, there is no need to shout, ballymoss.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:28 pm

Don't worry. Ballymoss will probably choose Roses in May, who (aggh!) is a direct male descendant of the dreaded Hail to Reason (only four generations back!) and just cleaned up the Dubai World Cup by three lengths.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:28 am

:lol: :lol: I had that VERY thought... the horse is FIVE and nudging at the world record for earnings... breakdown must be Imminent for Roses in May!!!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:34 pm

madelyn wrote::lol: :lol: I had that VERY thought... the horse is FIVE and nudging at the world record for earnings... breakdown must be Imminent for Roses in May!!!

The sad thing is that the odds are in favor of RIM getting injured at some time. Two constants in racing is that they all get beat and they all get hurt--and ballymoss will be in here to crow about it if it happens. Yuk.

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:08 pm

Sysonby wrote:
madelyn wrote::lol: :lol: I had that VERY thought... the horse is FIVE and nudging at the world record for earnings... breakdown must be Imminent for Roses in May!!!

The sad thing is that the odds are in favor of RIM getting injured at some time. Two constants in racing is that they all get beat and they all get hurt--and ballymoss will be in here to crow about it if it happens. Yuk.

The REALLY stupid thing is the guy is acting as if all of these so-called breakdowns are career ending/life dangering events.

FOR GOD'S SAKE, DECLAN'S MOON HAS A CHIP IN HIS KNEE! And he's acting as if the horse is going to have to be put down.

Are you that daft, Ballymoss, that you haven't a clue as to how many horses run with chipped knees (D'UH! Real Quiet ring any bells?) and NEVER have them removed or have them removed and come back after a few months off?

idiot needs to learn to distinguish between a real breakdown, an injury caused by poor training/track conditions and an inherent unsoundness problem.

Then he needs to figure out that a horse 5 gens back has very little to do with a horse whose father was a cheap ass speed horse and broke down after 3 starts. I'd say it's pretty obvious Ballymoss isn't a breeder, otherwise he'd know you need to pay more attention to the horse in front of you not the ones 5 generations back.

and on that note.. can we PLEASE stop feeding this idiot troll

(As I said before, most times Ballymoss is a reasonably logical and intelligent poster .. until he starts in with this crap and turns into nothing more than a troll looking for attention. You'll notice he never ONCE offers a rebuttal to the HUNDREDS of examples of Turn-To horse that retired sound or made 30+ starts)

Swaps1955
Allowance Winner

Postby Swaps1955 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:15 am

Regarding the unsound "broken down Hail To Reason": is Ballymoss aware that this broken down horse ran 18 times as a two year old and those 18 times were between January 21st, 1960 and September 10th? !!!!!!!!!!

He started once in January(Santa Anita), once in February (Santa Anita), 3 times in March (Aqueduct), twice in April (Aqueduct), 3 times in May (Aqueduct), once in June (Monmouth), twice in July (Aqueduct), 4 times in August (Saratoga and Momouth) and once in September (Atlantic City).

18 starts, 9 wins, 2 seconds and 2 thirds. Ran from 3 to 7 furlongs.

That's 18 starts for a 2 year old in less than 8 months. I don't know his foaling date, but it's probably a cinch that he was still a yearlilng when he made his first start on January 21st, 1960.

That's a pretty enviable record.