Derby Prospect: Bolo

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Derby Prospect: Bolo

Postby Bobster » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:10 am

BOLO is the police abbreviation for Be on the Lookout and I am with this horse. Here is why:

http://regalbloodlines.com/2015/01/27/p ... -prospect/

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Re: Derby Prospect: Bolo

Postby geowarrior » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Read your article. I like him too. Great reading.

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bobster » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you geowarrior. Should be a dandy of a race.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:08 pm

Bobster I like your articles and read them whenever I check into the site.

I have been pulling for Temple City because Dynaformer was getting old and there was no heir apparent other than Temple City, Point of Entry and Brilliant Speed. No one else seems to have a shot. Purim was getting a few high class runners before his untimely death but most Dynaformer sons have not come close to the potential of their sire until this guy.

My respect for Dynaformer is that he got TWO TURN horses, and very high quality ones at that. I studied Dynaformer a lot and have never wholly understood his amazing genetic success, but wow has he been a huge contribution to American racing. There are other continents where his successes won't be argued with, either. Between Dynaformer and Arch, there are not many channels for the Roberto influence to continue, and Temple City may be one of the most important opportunities we've had.

Your write-up on Bolo is excellent. He may get tremendously better as he goes further which is not an advantage a lot of our American sirelines have. As to whether Temple City progeny can run on dirt, I asked Carla Gaines that very question. A couple years ago I was interested in breeding a mare to Temple City and I decided to get in touch with Carla Gaines, who was very gracious when I called her. To my question, she said she thought Temple City moved beautifully over dirt in training, although his stakes attempt over dirt was not successful for other reasons, he basically hadn't handled the shipping well in her opinion.

It definitely seems that Bolo is the kind of horse that, on paper, would relish going long. Whether he can actually get the distance or not is yet to be proven, but I agree with you that his pedigree is beautiful for the longer distances.

My surprise with Temple City is that he's gotten some early runners who can be this competitive at 2 and early 3. I didn't see that coming and am so glad for his owners/farm and the breeders who took a chance on him. It will be interesting to see if they can stretch out and even be better as they mature, like their sireline would suggest.

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bobster » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:32 am

Thank you for the compliment. I really like your passion and knowledge on this horse and his pedigree. Temple City has a great pedigree, both on the male and distaff side. His best races were late in his career, so it is nice to see him put out some high quality 2 year olds. It would be nice if Bolo has matured from two to three. Given his sire line, plus his dam line and Seattle Slew in his dam sire line, Bolo should be able to run long. I like that in his Eddie Logan he ran 1:34 and change for a mile (swift) but also ran 12 and 12 for his final 2 furlongs. Tells me he has a big engine. My only concern will be how he handles the dirt. Also, he is running against some very good horses in the Robert B. Lewis Stakes. If he doesn't run well, I think he is still a very promising turf runner.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Bobster, I total agree with your take. Whether Bolo can handle dirt is a question soon answered, but should it not be his thing, the turf career would seem promising given all that he has going for him.

Keep the great articles coming. They are really appreciated :)

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bobster » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks for the compliment Mac. I will, usually weekly.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Love this discussion.

Dynaformer was always one of my favorites, for the reasons Mac outlines. My concern with his offspring as sires is that I was concerned that the remaining prospects might all be considered as turf only sires and not have the opportunities I'd hope for.

So not only do I like the fact that Temple City is getting early winners, I see that some of them are on dirt, which bodes well for future opportunities for him.

If a promising colt like Bolo does well on the dirt then so much the better. Maybe we can preserve this sireline after all.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:00 pm

agree, geowarrior. Dynaformer was something very special. He overcame obscurity and less-than-stellar mares in the beginning of his career yet rose to the top of North American racing as an elite sire. He did it all, the classic winners, the turf legends, and especially the day-in-day-out graded stakes winners, so many of them, as if that it is easy. Hopefully Temple City, Brilliant Speed, or Point Of Entry will continue that legacy.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:05 am

Majestic Affair looks like he could be a good one. He is out of a mare sired by Dynaformer's son Blumin Affair.
Dynaformer still has lots to say.

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bobster » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:18 am

And just think Dynaformer first stood for $2500 at a small farm in Kentucky. He sure did work his way up! He probably would have had more success in Europe than the U.S. given his ability to produce turf winners and long-distance runners.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:15 pm

I see Bolo has been dropped from Haskin's Derby Dozen, apparently because he is not going in the Robert B. Lewis but is staying on the grass :( .

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:43 am

I recognized Temple City as a hopeful stallion and thus have our mare, Rage For Fame, scheduled to meet him probably the end of March.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:48 pm

Jagger she certainly has hot stuff in her pedigree. Good luck with the mating. He will be a well supported sire and a lot of us are pulling for him.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 am

That's very cool Jagger. I hope you'll keep us posted.