Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

5 Three Year Old January Winners Who Impressed Me

Postby Bobster » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Mac
Allowance Winner

Re: 5 Three Year Old January Winners Who Impressed Me

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Bobster, enjoyed every word of your analysis. Thanks for the great forensics. These prospects look promising for all the reasons you came up with. It will be really interesting to follow them. The pedigree aspects are so interesting...Aflleet Allex having more than one high class 3 year old...Birdstone living up to his first 2 years of explosive success if this one keeps going...

Shaping up to be an interesting Derby year.

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bobster » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:05 am

I appreciate your compliments Mac-very kind of you. I enjoy writing this stuff and trying to figure out who has what it takes to make it to the Derby and the other Triple Crown races. These five are interesting because they are coming on strong or beginning strong and the potential is there for a strong push IMO. I will keep showcasing these derby contenders throughout the Winter and Spring and as we go along I want to see if they have the ability to get the distance or not. Once again, thanks.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:29 am

All 5 look to be interesting, but I really like the Unbridled's Song colt (Gorgeous Bird).

Khozan is interesting because he is a flashy Pletcher horse at Gulfstream, which we've seen before. He may be the real deal with that pedigree. Hopefully they don't rush him from here. If he's anything like his sister, they should continue to take their time with him.

I question the stamina of Prospect Park - both of his sisters were better at 1 1/16 mile and under, and I don't think Tapit adds more stamina to him. We'll see!

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby stancaris » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:37 am

Bobster: Very interesting analysis. By the way Khozan and Lehigh Five both carry Buckpasser in the X passing position which is a definite positive for the Derby.

Lehigh Five is not nominated to the Derby yet so he will have to be a late nomination if he continues to do well.

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bobster » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:23 am

Cree, Prospect Park's 2nd dam sire, Skywalker, was the dam sire of Sky Jack-a Hollywood Gold Cup winner (1 1/4 miles). His 3rd dam sire, Relaunch, was the dam sire of Ghostzapper (Breeders' Cup Classic winner) and Real Shadai, a leading Japanese sire who won at over a mile and a half. Skywalker is a great stamina influence. I think the Derby distance is well within Prospect Park's reach.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:17 pm

One colt I saw win at Oaklawn on Saturday was Conquest Curlinate. I was impressed by the win - any thoughts on his pedigree Bobster?

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bobster » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 am

Having Curlin on top is nice-he's already produced a brilliant 12 furlong winner. His dam was a Grade 2 winner. There is some class further back in his dam line. His dam sire, Peaks and Valleys, was a champion who is a stamina influence. His 2nd dam sire, Mt. Livermore, sired 9 millionaires and 6 champions, making him an important sire. His 3rd dam sire, Blushing Groom, had been a champion miler but a fair amount of his progeny are renowned for their stamina and have been able to win consistently at longer distances. Overall, I'm looking at a horse who has an nice blend of speed, class and endurance-should have no problem covering a mile and a quarter.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:23 am

Yet he is not among the "Conquests" nominated for the Triple Crown.

He looked very good breaking his maiden at a mile and a sixteenth. Maybe a late nomination?

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Ok so it's Mid February - any three year olds impressing anyone this month?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:31 pm

geowarrior wrote:Ok so it's Mid February - any three year olds impressing anyone this month?

Hi Geo,
From the beginning of the season two have impressed me, most impressive since his debut was Upstart. The other is El Kabeir, but may be limited when they stretch out? Then Pletcher threw Far From Over into the mix when defeating El Kabeir in the Withers in NY. Far From Over beat that solid competitor off a layoff while being trained to the minute in Florida (Palm Beach Downs Training Center) and shipped north to get his Graded stakes brackets.
Now we have the capable Upstart looking to win the Fountain of Youth at GP Saturday, but Pletcher has Itsaknockout entered in this prestigious race off two lesser wins. Seems to be following in Far From Over's footsteps, though training a bit faster. Frosted and Gorgeous Bird are worth watching as well....both have upside potential. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:31 am

Easy to say a MSW winner at Gulfstream in the slop looked like a sprinter to follow.
Edited by Moderator