Power Jam

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Power Jam

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:34 am

Looks like Baffert has another top notch 3 year old in his barn, and probably a couple of them. Power Jam made his debut yesterday at Santa Anita and won in a hand ride in 1.08 and change for the 6F. Power Jam is by Concord Point, a son of Tapit, and if Power Jam is as good as he looks, then Concord Point may be in demand as a stallion, if he is not already.

Second place in that race was another Baffert colt, Wolf Man Rocket, a son of Mineshaft, who also made his debut. Wolf Man Rocket did not win, but maybe that should not be held against him. It looks like he was in very tough considering Power Jam's very impressive performance. I would not be surprised to see both of those horses win stakes races up the road, and for Power Jam, anything seems possible. I will have to look at their pedigrees and see if it looks like they should be able to stretch out.
Shawklit Won.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Power Jam

Postby Georgerz » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:41 am

There was a beautiful gray Tapit son yesterday at Gulfstream Park, that won at first asking very impressively, named Alaqeel (I think).

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Georgerz wrote:There was a beautiful gray Tapit son yesterday at Gulfstream Park, that won at first asking very impressively, named Alaqeel (I think).

Yes, I saw that race too, and put Araqeel, Power Jam, and Wolf Man Rocket into my Virtual Stable yesterday. That Tapit just seems to be made of gold.
Shawklit Won.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:45 pm

I took a look at both Power Jam and El Camino Real Derby winner Metaboss in "Hoofprints" today (http://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com/hoofprints).
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks for posting. Interesting article.

Power Jam is inbred to A.P. Indy 4X3 and Seattle Slew 5X5X4, so he may be able to stretch out, but he is getting a late start as far as the Derby goes, as the article says. I do think that, barring injury, he ends up winning graded stakes.
Shawklit Won.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:57 am

Not sure now much the extra Slew cross will help Power Jam's distance capacity as it is through Capote, who proved more of a speed influence at stud.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:51 pm

True, but if he can't stretch out, then he looks like he is a very good sprinter.
Shawklit Won.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:10 pm

Definitely. He may stretch out with maturity, but he sure looks like a top miler prospect as he stands.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Looking over the pedigree of Power Jam, I noticed that it is his sire (Concord Point) that had the cross of Capote in his pedigree. Yet, Concord Point won graded stakes at 9F and 8.5F. Power Jam is inbred to A.P. Indy 4X3 with the 3 in the bottom half (dam's) part of his pedigree. That being the case, I think that it could be likely that Power Jam will be able to stretch out.

Trouble is, he is getting a late start as far as the derby and triple crown is concerned. I think that barring injury, Power Jam should win graded stakes races at a mile or maybe even longer.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Looking over the pedigree of Power Jam, I noticed that it is his sire (Concord Point) that had the cross of Capote in his pedigree. Yet, Concord Point won graded stakes at 9F and 8.5F. Power Jam is inbred to A.P. Indy 4X3 with the 3 in the bottom half (dam's) part of his pedigree. That being the case, I think that it could be likely that Power Jam will be able to stretch out.

Trouble is, he is getting a late start as far as the derby and triple crown is concerned. I think that barring injury, Power Jam should win graded stakes races at a mile or maybe even longer.

Also, Concord broke the track record winning the Iowa Derby at 8.5F in 1:40:37. This race was only about a couple of weeks after the Belmont Stakes in 2010 (6/26/10).

If Power Jam does as well as expected, then it bodes well for Concord Point's stud career, especially if he gets another good one anytime soon. If those things happen, then expect Concord Point to be in much demand as a stallion. Besides, Concord Point is a son of Tapit.
Shawklit Won.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:36 am

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Concord Point do well. He looked like a rapidly improving colt before his racing career got derailed. An interesting point of his pedigree is that he has the full siblings Moon Glitter and Relaunch 4x3.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:58 pm

I just watched Concord Point's debut race and it is like deja vu all over again. Concord Point won his first race rather easily at 6.5F in 1:15:11 and was 1:08:71 for the 6F in that race. The race looked almost identical to Power Jam's first race.

Anyway, I have a feeling that a few years from now, people will look back at when Concord Point's stud fee was $7500. and see what a bargain he was. I would certainly breed a mare to him at that price, but I have a feeling that Concord Point's fee will be higher next year.
Shawklit Won.