Courtly Dee

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Courtly Dee

Postby Cree » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:35 pm

She is in the female family of two top 3-year-olds: Far From Over and Where's the Moon, both bred by Alexander Groves Matz (I think that is the correct spelling).
Neat to see.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Re: Courtly Dee

Postby Patuxet » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 am

Cree wrote: “Far From Over and Where's the Moon, both bred by Alexander Groves Matz ...”

A friend explained the breeding entity thusly: “Deaver Alexander and Helen Groves (who are divorced) seemed to have cornered the market with the Courtly Dee blood (as they were involved with his ownership at stud). They also bred Aquilegia, Aishah, Althea, Amizette, Twining and He's Had Enough to name a few of the many they put on the ground. Big time racing family, Deaver Alexander ran King Ranch and Helen Groves was the daughter of Bob and Helen Kleberg of King Ranch fame....their siblings are well involved....daughter Helen is married to Mike Matz.“
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:57 am

Generally right but specifically wrong - Courtly Dee and her family have been owned by the Alexanders for a long time, they rarely sell a filly from that family. The horses named all are from that family. Michael Matz is married to DD Alexander, Helen's sister, etc.
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:08 pm

According to John Sparkman, Courtly Dee was claimed by Lee Eaton at Laurel for $15,000. Eaton sold her at the 1980 Keeneland Nov. sale, in foal to Alydar, for $900,000 to Helen Groves, Helen Alexander and David Ackroyd. The foal she was carrying was subsequently named Althea.

Courtly Dee produced 11 daughter, nine of which were stakes producers. A tenth (by Damascus) was granddam of a 2000 Guineas winner in Japan. This great-granddaughter by A.P. Indy sold at Keeneland last Nov. for a mere $1000: http://www.pedigreequery.com/vixenish2
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:36 pm

G1SW & Leading Sire ARCH and his GSW siblings Acoma & Festival of Light are out of a grandaughter of Courtly Dee, as is G1SW Aldiza. The family is absolutely top quality.

Eaton claimed her, bred her to Al Hattab and that first foal was G1SW Ali Oop; her 2nd foal was G3SW Native Courier. She was already a very successful broodmare when purchased for $900,000 in 1980.

Will Rogers

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:07 pm

This is the GREATEST BLOODLINES IN RACING to me....I try to follow all their offsprings..

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Des, you should check out a mare named LA TROIENNE.

Will Rogers

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Yea, Da Hossman I know of her but when you mention the name Courtly Dee it sends chills down my spine. My dream is to own something from her bloodline and I hope to fullfill that dream some day soon. I try to track all their offsprings.