RIP Allen Jerkens

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

RIP Allen Jerkens

Postby Mahubah » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:47 pm

"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Jorge

Re: RIP Allen Jerkens

Postby Jorge » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:06 pm

Mahubah,

Thanks for posting this reference on the passing of Allen Jerkens.
Being a super-favorite beater was a better description of his achievements
than any other more dramatic title. But those achievements were legendary indeed.
May his soul be Blessed and rest in peace.
Thanks again.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Avalyn, that was a wonderful piece you wrote about the Chief. He was the kindest, most giving person ever to grace the backstretch. Not to mention, in my estimation, the best horseman that ever lived. This is a very sad day for racing, his friends, but most of all his family.
Harry Allen "Chief" Jerkens was quite the racing historian....seldom if ever forgot the name of any horse that set hoof in his barn. The better ones who became sires or broodmares, he would follow their offspring, even if he wasn't training them. Out of the blue one day, the Chief would walk into your barn and ask about a horse in your care and if he could take a peek. Then he would go on to tell you all about the history of your horses bloodlines and the type of horse they were, "yep she had speed and he sure looks like his Daddy". By the time he finished talking with you, you had a pedigree blueprint, how best to go about training that horse.
Condolences to Jimmy, Steven, Allen and Julie. Dear Chief, Rest In Peace, you will be sorely missed...with love and respect. TJ

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Thank you, Avalyn and Tom. Between you you've made us see and appreciate a truly unique horseman. Mr. Jerkens was both the compleat trainer and a consummate gentleman.

One wishes today's trainers paid as much attention to pedigree and a family's performances. My broodmare, Fiddle, was trained by Alan Jerkens. The races in which he entered her recommended her to me as much as her pedigree and the stakes she won.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Very sad loss. My deepest condolences to all that have known and loved him.
He defines horseman.

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:40 am

I was lucky enough to shake his hand some years ago down at Calder. He was sittin' there under the umbrella, with his wife, coolin' his heels near the paddock. He was there racin' a horse called Medallist - horse won the race. Never have forgotten that day and the value of those 7fl works.

Sure was a privilege.

The Chief may be gone, but certainly not forgotten. He lives in our memories and thus is immortal.
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas
~
It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire