Some More Derby Pedigree Angles To Ponder On

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Bobster
Maiden Special Weight

Some More Derby Pedigree Angles To Ponder On

Postby Bobster » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:53 pm

I personally feel that these tidbits of information are helpful in my handicapping process of the big race. Do you have any to share?

http://regalbloodlines.com/2015/04/12/s ... ponder-on/

TJ
Darley line

Re: Some More Derby Pedigree Angles To Ponder On

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:47 pm

Bobster wrote:I personally feel that these tidbits of information are helpful in my handicapping process of the big race. Do you have any to share?

http://regalbloodlines.com/2015/04/12/s ... ponder-on/

Hi Bob,
I agree with you, any and all information helps when trying to predict the winner of the Derby or any race for that matter....and thanks for sharing.
I read both your articles so far concerning these angles. Interesting concerning Storm Cat and the quality Derby contenders that carry his blood this year. Also read your Turn-To angle and a rare occurrence turns up this year, with the direct Turn-To sire line appearing in Bolo. The last time a direct Turn-To sire line winner was seen was Barbaro in 2006, you have to go back to Sunday Silence in 1989 to find it again. Only 5 have been seen in the last 60 years. The Raise A Native sire line has long been a factor in Derby winners, though RAN usually appears in so many of the Derby starters.
One thing I've noticed and will follow closely this year is the Bold Ruler sire line. When the Raise A Native and Bold Ruler sire line came on the Derby scene (1969 and 1970 respectively), the Bold Ruler line was dominant from 1969-1980 winning 7 against Raise A Native's 3. Then Raise A Native took charge and remained the top Derby sire line till present day. The Bold Ruler sire line hadn't been heard from since 1984 (Swale)....then in 2013 the Bold Ruler sire line mysteriously emerged with back to back sire line wins (Orb, 2013 and California Chrome, 2014). I will be looking closely at that line this season. The last time the Bold Ruler sire line produced two Derby winners in a row....he didn't stop there while continuing on with 5 in a row 1973-1977. The Bold Ruler sire line will be represented this year by Frosted, Upstart, Danzig Moon, Stanford and Mr. Z. TJ