American Pharoah wins triple crown :)

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

Re: American Pharoah wins triple crown :)

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:37 am

Sorry Hoss....I see I pulled the trigger too late:>) TJ

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:39 am

I'm enjoying the moment as much as anyone, but racing had better remember that the euphoria surrounding American Pharoah's TC sweep won't fix its problems and has the potential for a backlash: http://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com/hoofprints.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:51 am

Still enjoying the moment. I really couldn't believe what I was seeing and until I heard all the info about the fractions, I thought it all looked too easy.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Congratulations American Pharoah!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Mahubah wrote:I'm enjoying the moment as much as anyone, but racing had better remember that the euphoria surrounding American Pharoah's TC sweep won't fix its problems and has the potential for a backlash: http://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com/hoofprints.

Hi Mahubah,
I agree and it does seem national uniformity is dragging out. But one of the key issues was getting the Florida legislature moving to allow the changes the RMTC is promoting. Florida legislature held up many because it is a major racing hub during winter racing. Without Florida legislation being passed, it really messed up the entire program. They are now set to implement the new RMTC rules and this will pretty much unify all the major racing outfits and racing jurisdictions. They have to make a strong effort over the next 6 months to get this done nationwide....or we will see government intervention. Some may think that is the ticket....but after seeing what went on in NY with the State oversight, I doubt the Feds will do any better. The article below will shed some light on the importance of getting the new rules through Florida's legislation, which was held up since 2013 with attached fat on the race bill. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... we-all-can

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:53 pm

jagger wrote:Soooo.....does he race in the Breeder's Cup or next year?

Hi jagger,
American Pharoah's tentative scheduled race options, barring anything unforeseen are The Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on Aug. 2nd or the Jim Dandy at Saratoga Aug. 1st. Baffert has had great success in the Haskell winning 7 editions of that race, not to mention the additional $600,000 in purse money.
Later in the month of August his options are The Pacific Classic against older at Del Mar over it's brand new dirt course on Aug. 22nd...or The Travers Stakes at Saratoga on August 28th. The consideration here would be if AP needs more time between his last race with six extra days if he waits for the Travers.
Finally the BC Classic at Keeneland on October 31st. TJ

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:25 pm

TJ:

Bob Baffert previously trained Point Given to a similar Belmont win in 2:26.56 by 12 1/4 lengths. I realize that they're different horses but both contested all three classics and I wondered if Baffert harked back to his experience with PG when he was preparing AP for the Belmont. What similarities, if any, did you notice in the way he trained the two?

Thanks!
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:08 am

Patuxet wrote:TJ:

Bob Baffert previously trained Point Given to a similar Belmont win in 2:26.56 by 12 1/4 lengths. I realize that they're different horses but both contested all three classics and I wondered if Baffert harked back to his experience with PG when he was preparing AP for the Belmont. What similarities, if any, did you notice in the way he trained the two?

Thanks!

Hi Patuxet,
In 1998 I certainly wasn't as free to observe what others were doing, so to answer that question would be to no avail. Trainers in general use previous training patterns that have worked for them. Though horses are not the same and in order for a pattern to work for one, you would want a similar individual to use it with. I would think Dortmund, as opposed to American Pharoah, would have been the horse he'd attempt a similar PG training pattern because of their size. As it turned out, we know they did follow the same race sequence into the Derby....that being the San Felipe and Santa Anita Derby.
As far as training similarities I would think Bodemeister was the blueprint he used for American Pharoah...Bode being fast and by Empire Maker out of a Storm Cat line mare and AP also fast:>) and being by a son of Empire Maker out of a Storm Cat line mare and both were under the gun to be ready to go the derby distance.
The similarities I see between Point Given and American Pharoah is they are both the only two horses to win 4 million dollar races in a row. That is why I think Baffert will run next in the Haskell, so American Pharoah can hopefully win his 5th million dollar race in a row to hold that distinction alone. He went Haskell, Travers with Point Given and won both and went Haskell, Pacific Classic with War Emblem but lost the Pacific Classic. So I would think with Bafferts Haskell record, we will see AP in the Haskell next. Oh yes, future similarities...both 3YO Champion's and Horse of the year as 3YO's, and future hall of famer as is Point Given. AP does tap Point Given since he was also 2YO champion. Point Given lost that honor to Macho Uno. TJ

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks, Tom. I had a similar expectation for Dortmund, especially with a winner of the 12-furlong CCA Oaks on his bottom line.

I greatly appreciate the way you've shared your expertise and insights with us here. You've made an exciting classic season even more rewarding. Many thanks.

Allison
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks Allison, I don't know about all that expertise....but I do enjoy sharing and helping anyone interested in horse racing. I try my best to reflect some of my experience and hopefully give answers that are helpful to our pedigree query members.
It's like Harvey Penick a great teacher of the game of golf in his 2nd book titled, "And If You Play Golf, You're My Friend: Further Reflections of a Grown Caddy". It's a great book and a long title, but it works for me on this horse racing forum....If you like horses, you're my friend:>) TJ

Sailor Kenshin
Starters Handicap

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:40 pm

skeenan wrote:Me, too! I was on my feet, screaming and crying the whole race, I had a feeling all day that this might finally be the year. Especially when Victor let him go around the last corner. I think I was hoarse by the home stretch, lol! Very emotional race for me, I am so happy I witnessed history. :D

You're not the only one!mmi never CRIED watching a race before.
Somebody bet on the gray!

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:25 am

I know, I've never cried like that before, except during the tragic Barbaro tragedy. I was bawling when he broke down that day...

Just curious, no one thinks his stud fee won't start out closer to the half mil mark? Seattle Slew was still commanding a half a mil up until he was pensioned. Especially if AP sweeps the BC Classic?

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 pm

BETFAIR has priced American Pharoah at 8-13 to stand for a fee of between $175,000 and $200,000 during his first season at stud.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:24 pm

Hmmm... yeah, looking through the stallion registry (I've been out of touch with the breeding side of things for a few years)... I guess that would be more in line with the stud fees I'm seeing.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:57 am

Less then a week after winning the Triple Crown, American Pharoah returned to the racetrack this morning (Friday 6/12) at CD. He jogged a mile the wrong way, which is the norm after his brief time off. Baffert said he will begin galloping Saturday morning, in time to take a bit of the edge off him for his appearance Saturday evening at CD. He will be paraded in the Churchill Downs paddock and on the track prior to the Stephen Foster Handicap. AP will remain at CD till Thursday (6/18) when he will be flown back to his California home base. TJ