Runhappy wins........trainer fired!

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Runhappy wins........trainer fired!

Postby wilf » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Runhappy wins and trainer is fired by the "manager" who takes over again. Way to spoil a feelgood day at the races.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Re: Runhappy wins........trainer fired!

Postby Shergar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:10 pm

I just read the story on The Bloodhorse. Appears the decision to take Runhappy from Borell has been a while in the making. Or should I say Wohler has been scheming for a while to get Runhappy back. The whole thing just stinks to high heaven.

Trainers on the forum please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the day after a race, at most the horse would just be taken out and walked.

Regards,
Shergar

Cryptic Ninja
Yearling

Postby Cryptic Ninja » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:32 am

Either a walk or a swim in a pool. The latter most likely if the horse was sore(or suspected to be) and needed to be off their body weight.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Shergar wrote:I just read the story on The Bloodhorse. Appears the decision to take Runhappy from Borell has been a while in the making. Or should I say Wohler has been scheming for a while to get Runhappy back. The whole thing just stinks to high heaven.

Trainers on the forum please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the day after a race, at most the horse would just be taken out and walked.

Regards,
Shergar

Hi Shergar,
As hard as he was trained going into the BC and the great race he ran...he deserved a couple days of walking at the very least. Then bring him out to jog/lope a day or two before asking him to gallop. What should be brought out is that the horse was in Wohlers hands when he won his first start....then broke down in his 2nd start due to a fracture. It's obvious Wohlers doesn't have a clue and if she didn't realize he had a fracture brewing, what does she possible know about a horse. Wohlers cites they jog him after he runs to relieve the lactic acid buildup in his muscles after a race....that's not how it works, Lactic Acid is a by product of exercise....after exercise to alleviate a possible case of azutoria, that's when you jog the horse....this jogging can cleanse the bloodstream of any possible lactic acid buildup. Not the day after as Wohlers suggested. Here's a tweet from John G Veitch on the Paulick Report article, he's an owner related to John M who trained Alydar...John G. Veitch • a day ago I've never heard of jogging a horse the next day after a race to rid them of a lactic acid buildup...
If there was filling and heat, that means there is a problem brewing....Maria made the safe and sensible move, trying to prevent a possible problem that simple time could possible prevent a catastrophe. If Wohlers takes over the day to day training, I'd expect to see Runhappy's previous problem, that sent him to the shelf, to recur in the hands of the same trainer who put him there last year.
It's a tough business and owners and part time trainers like Wohlers, that know enough to think they know, have ruined so many good horses in the past. Here's a young lady (Maria) with experience in all phases of horse racing including being a vet tech and her hard work brought Runhappy back from a fracture that Wohlers obviously wasn't aware of....like I said tough business and what makes it tougher is owners like McInvale who think they know more than those in the stall with them 24/7. This fool fires everybody and in firing Borell (number 34) she is in good company considering he fired Bobby Frankel and Bob Baffert as well as 31 others. TJ
Last edited by TJ on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:31 am

Terrible story, so sorry about Maria Borell, but you see these things happen everywhere. When my first filly raced, the only thing she did the next day, was to go for a walk or beiing put into a paddock.
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:53 pm

The more you hear, the worse it sounds. Gonna be hard to root for this horse in the future because quite honestly I don't want the people to feel validated if he does well, and if he does poorly I don't want it for the horse's health and well-being. I suppose it's asking a lot to hope someone makes an offer on this horse and either gives him back to her or retire him. Heck, at least give him to a trainer that knows what the heck they're doing. By the time Wohlers is done "prepping" him for another (completely unnecessary) race this year, he might not have a viable 2016 campaign to go on to, so anything is probably better.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Certainly a sad situation...but now they are trying to disparage Maria Borell. Stories are coming up that she didn't properly care for her horses on the farm she rented. As well as the farm owner taking Maria to court to have her evicted. The farm owner is also posting video's and belittling remarks about her.
There was one remark Maria made after winning the Kings Bishop which sticks in my mind....she said she expected to have the horse taken away from her after that win. That we know didn't happen, but it sure came down swiftly after the BC win?
Here's a link to a recent tweet by Maria concerning the whole situation. TJ
Some words from myself. https://www.facebook.com/IamMariaValent ... 0131242077

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Postby murphysmom » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:38 pm

I agree with TJ & I'm afraid the horse will break down again under Wohler's training, especially since she never saw the problems coming the first time around. It's obvious that Maria only had RunHappy's best interests at heart. It's a shame that the owners don't have the horse's best interests in mind.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:56 pm

Here are accusations and videos posted by Borell's landlady: https://www.facebook.com/kara.harrisontucker

More here with substantiation and further negative provided by a fellow trainer: http://www.americasbestracing.net/en/th ... -runhappy/

Unbelievable that someone would pay $200,000 for a horse and turn it over to a trainer without a win to her name. Wonderful horse. Sad, unsavory story.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:46 pm

Really starting to get ridiculous now. Even if Maria Borell didn't take the best care of the farm she rented, she took good care of the horse she trained for Mattress Mac. The farm issue and any neglect that may have happened with the animals (of which I never heard any statements by owners suing for neglect) would be adjudicated in the courts, as it is a separate issue....and has nothing to do with pulling the horse from her.
It's tough making ends meet when you're on the racetrack and many trainers owe a lot to the feed man, the farms, the vet, the van company etc. When they win races they pay their debts....now Maria is trying to get the 10% owed to her by the owner. She was retained on salary, not day money therefore the owner paid all the bills the horse incurred....shipping, feed, vet, blacksmith, vitamins, supplements, meds, etc. But a salaried trainer is still entitled to 10% of the earnings which would be $128,690. That should get her out of debt and allow her to buy a couple of her own if no owners come her way. By the way, while in Wohlers care, her 10% share of the purse money she won with Runhappy would be $1,440. This outfit in 16 years of owning horses, never won a Gr 1 race and won 2 with Borell in 5 starts. Now they are trying to stiff her for the money they owe her. She is now lawyer-ed up and from what I understand, he is a serious mouthpiece. Here's the most recent article. TJ
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/breed ... i-am-owed/

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Postby murphysmom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:35 am

I agree with you TJ. I personally don't care about the hoopla regarding Borell's renting of a farm from some one.

The point is that borell did an awesome job with RunHappy, kept him sound when others couldn't & stood firm against some one doing something that wasn't in the horse's best interest. Sounds like my kind of trainer.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:57 am

Additional story from the bloodhorse, Wohlers flatly stating Borell is not entitled to her 10% share of the BC. After the Kings Bishop they gave Borell a $10,000 check which she did not cash....makes sense to me since she was entitled to a 10% share of the winning purse which is $27,500. Wohlers said they had a verbal agreement, so if that is a fact....they must revert to the industry standard of 10% of the winning purse which is what trainers have been paid since the beginning of time. I do hope she gets what is owed her and believe she will without a written agreement. TJ

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... urse-money

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:46 am

A story in today's Paulick Report points out that Borell's financial problems included a judgment against her in court for non-payment of rent on a farm she leased and that the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission made repayment a condition of her being licensed. Given this, would the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission have standing in any suit Borell brought to be fairly compensated"?

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s ... the-money/
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Postby murphysmom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 am

Wayne Stacy: What I do know is business, and business is no different from one type to the next. You have businesses that are geared to profit, and those geared to failure; some do it by design, others do it out of ignorance, some do it out of love.
People open restaurants because they love food, and they want you to love their food. Most close within 5 years; many within 24 months; it wasn't about money; It was about love.
Many big businesses want profits from the creation of a service, or device, to dominate, Apple, Microsoft, etc. if a service or product fails, it kills it because its all about the profits.

There are two kinds of racehorse owners...
Those who out of love and ignorance will invest time, energy, and countless dollars into an animal and a team because they have love for an animal and they believe in it; the money is no consideration.
And those who look at a racehorse as a way to write off debt as a capital gains loss, and tax deduction.

Jim Mcingales is the latter in my opinion. Every single time he has a trainer, rider, horse that is ready to take the world by storm, create a great buzz, put the stakes earnings on track to profit - he destroys it. Because if the horse is a winner, then he pays taxes; he is no longer creating deductions on loses.

This man keeps throwing horses at his inept sister in law because he knows she couldn't train a barrel to hold trash. Maria was fired because she and RH made money.
You want proof?

First off, you don't fire 35 (now 36) of the best trainers in the business over the course of 18 years without being a little bit touched in the head. Since 1997 Mcingales has posted 31 stakes horses (subtract RH from the lot and you are left with 27 races). in 18 years his horses have had three 1st place finishers, two 2nd place finishers, and two 3rd place finishers.in 18 years. His average finish for a horse is 5.4 always outside the money.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that he uses horse racing to offset the profits obtained as the "mattress king".

Wohlers is a middle management yes man(woman), who went crying to the brass when she didn't get her way in front of the "help". Mcingales is a narcissist who believes anyone else's face on the screen or in print other than his own does him an injustice.

If RH goes off to California and finishes a race higher than 5th place.......I will be beyond astounded.

They can try to spin their PR all they like, but they can't spin math and statistics.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:05 am