Shades of Zenyatta

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

Shades of Zenyatta

Postby TJ » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:34 am

Ziconic, a 3YO 1/2 brother to Zenyatta by Tapit, brought back memories of Zenyatta's exciting come from behind style. Though he fell short, finishing 3rd, he ran his last 3/8ths in a fast 36 3/5 seconds and galloped out clear of the others past the wire. Watch the video below, he's number 5 in the familiar Moss colors. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRtFzuUg0xo

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Shades of Zenyatta

Postby Cree » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:50 am

It was hard to gauge how good his effort was since half the field were running backward at the end. That last 3/8th was quick, but he didn't do much running before that. It sounds like they will stretch him out next time. He seemed very green, so this was a good learning experience for him.
He is certainly not his mother. :D

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:18 pm

By the way, Ziconic is a son of Zenyatta, not a half brother to her. his sire is Tapit, indeed.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:58 pm

Georgerz wrote:By the way, Ziconic is a son of Zenyatta, not a half brother to her. his sire is Tapit, indeed.

Hi George,
Thanks for the correction, a son of Zenyatta he is....guess I had Cosmic One in my mind. Anyway, he does have her running style and I think he might be a decent sized chip off the old block:>) He showed a nice long stride the last 1/8th, when Stevens asked him to get serious. TJ

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:16 pm

in my uneducated opinion, I think that Ziconic had a very good start to his career. He just needs more ground to run. And he is a beautiful colt, has the pretty looks from his sire, as his mother looked to me rather coarse.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:14 am

The field was weak, yes it was just a maiden - but according to people who watch him work out he is of limited ability so maybe a maiden and an allowance is the best he can look forward to.
Edited by Moderator

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:44 am

Looking at his running style, I'm surprised he isn't trying the lawn.

He obviously has a better brain than his half-brother.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:52 am

kimberley mine wrote:Looking at his running style, I'm surprised he isn't trying the lawn.

He obviously has a better brain than his half-brother.

With what the Danehill line has done with Street Cry Mares and Zenyatta's liking for poly tracks I am surprised they haven't tried for a grass horse breeding wise...
Edited by Moderator

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Not just Street Cry, but Zenyatta is a half-sister to a grade 1 winning polytrack mare, their dam is by major turf sire Kris S, and her dam produced a pair of graded stakes horses on turf in Europe.

If Danzig isn't an option (and I loved the War Front pairing), Kitten's Joy does really, really well with a return of Roberto.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Every picture tells a story. Nice article following Ziconic into and out of his first race, by photographer and blogger Cynthia Holt. He is a handsome son of a gun. TJ

http://www.americasbestracing.net/en/th ... ic-debuts/

Cryptic Ninja
Yearling

Postby Cryptic Ninja » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:15 pm

What was the distance of that race?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:41 am

7 furlongs

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks for those wonderful photos TJ, he is a lovely specimen and looks like a race or two more will bring him up to scratch. I wonder if a trip to Woodbine and the polytrack / tapeta that is now in place might be on the cards if he doesn't win bog on the dirt.? I know from personal experience that it is like night and day to some horses.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:54 pm

wilf wrote:Thanks for those wonderful photos TJ, he is a lovely specimen and looks like a race or two more will bring him up to scratch. I wonder if a trip to Woodbine and the polytrack / tapeta that is now in place might be on the cards if he doesn't win bog on the dirt.? I know from personal experience that it is like night and day to some horses.

Hi Wilf,
Nice to see you and glad you enjoyed the picture show:>) I hope you, Tevez and the new yearling are doing well.
Getting back to Ziconic, knowing Shirreffs style, I doubt he'll leave California with that horse, unless they ban racing there:>) He does have a string in NY now, but seems like he sent a lot back to California. He won his first stake in 2 years in that state with one of the NY returnee's (Keri Belle)....maybe he will be ending that NY experiment? All the best to you Wilf, TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:35 am

Speaking of Zenyatta shades, Cozmic One posted a 47:20 workout at Santa Anita on 3/1/2016, 2nd fastest of 23.

Seems a little better than his usual.