first Grade 1 winner for Union Rags

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

first Grade 1 winner for Union Rags

Postby Affirmed1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:15 am

Union Strike won the Del Mar Debutante, Grade 1. She's a big girl, with a big blaze.
Looks like her daddy. Pretty good way to break her maiden! 8)

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: first Grade 1 winner for Union Rags

Postby Cree » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Got his 2nd G1 winner today with Dancing Rags in the Alcibiades.
I'm very happy to see him producing so quickly out of the gate!

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:13 pm

He's sure off to a hot start.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:57 am

Union Strike has been turned over to trainer Craig Dollase. These things happen all the time to trainers who seem to be doing a good job, what is odd about this move is Union Strike's previous trainer is the owners daughter? Shelby Ruis was the trainer of Union Strike for her father Mick and mother Wendy Ruis and had a very good record in 2016, her first year as a trainer. She had 39 starters, won 6, placed in 6 and showed in another 4 races for earnings of $447,285. She ranked 422 of 5,482 trainers nationwide when she was fired. Any west coast insiders have the skinny on this one:>) TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ion-strike

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:24 pm

He's got another G1 winner in Paradise Woods, who is small and (so it seems) unruly. She can run....
He's not just a filly sire, he's also got Patch who is in the top 20 for the Derby.

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Postby Affirmed1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:04 am

His filly Union Strike, who won a G1 at 2, won her 3yo debut this weekend, in the Santa Paula.
I expect his offspring will only get better with age. Great fun to watch, since I followed Union Rags during his racing career.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Me too. Huge fan of his when he was racing. I love this branch of the Northern Dancer line - Dixieland Band has become a fabulous broodmare sire, Dixie Union died too young, so it's nice to see Union Rags carrying the male side of things.

I never expected them to come out running like they have, and I agree they should do well as they age. Now we just need one of his colts to win a big one!