Triple Crown winners and names

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Triple Crown winners and names

Postby DDT » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 am

As we get ready for the final leg of the Triple Crown I decided to share my take on the names of the winners. Looking at the 12 Triple Crown winners to date, 10 had regal names befitting the accomplishment, Omaha and Whirlaway were the only winners that had rather ordinary names. It can be said that Sir Barton, Gallant Fox, War Admiral, Count Fleet, Assault, Citation, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed and American Pharoah all have rather regal names. If the racing Gods are watching and with a clean trip and a little luck, I do believe that Justify will become the 11th Triple Crown winner with a regal name to add to the list. Remember, this is my opinion, some may think that Omaha and Whirlaway are not ordinary or common names, you know what they say about opinions!!!!!!

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Re: Triple Crown winners and names

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:51 am

DDT wrote:As we get ready for the final leg of the Triple Crown I decided to share my take on the names of the winners. Looking at the 12 Triple Crown winners to date, 10 had regal names befitting the accomplishment, Omaha and Whirlaway were the only winners that had rather ordinary names. It can be said that Sir Barton, Gallant Fox, War Admiral, Count Fleet, Assault, Citation, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed and American Pharoah all have rather regal names. If the racing Gods are watching and with a clean trip and a little luck, I do believe that Justify will become the 11th Triple Crown winner with a regal name to add to the list. Remember, this is my opinion, some may think that Omaha and Whirlaway are not ordinary or common names, you know what they say about opinions!!!!!!

DDT

Hi DDT,
Yes, I certainly know what they say about opinions....I wonder about Justify attempting to become the 13th Triple Crown winner after breaking the long standing curse of Apollo and the lesser standing Storm Cat curse? :>)

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:34 am

TJ

I would take your opinion over anyone when it comes to horses and maybe golf. I guess you will have to blush again, because it is very hard to put into words just what you mean to this forum. I would love it if he draws the 7 hole because three 7's is a big hit on most slot machines.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 am

DDT wrote:TJ

I would take your opinion over anyone when it comes to horses and maybe golf. I guess you will have to blush again, because it is very hard to put into words just what you mean to this forum. I would love it if he draws the 7 hole because three 7's is a big hit on most slot machines.

DDT

Thanks DDT, I'm a deep purple again:>) I want to thank you and all our posters for keeping this board viable through the fast and slow times here....and most importantly civil. I don't think there are better racehorse versed contributors found anywhere else on an internet racing/breeding forum!
You know, maybe that 7 post (7-7-7) could help ward off overcoming 2 curses and currently 13's juju:>) TJ

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Justify drew post position one. I've seen a couple of comments that it is a bad draw, referencing Big Brown, but I don't think it will affect Justify at all. I surely hope he leads gate to wire in a champion's race.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:17 pm

DDT wrote:As we get ready for the final leg of the Triple Crown I decided to share my take on the names of the winners. Looking at the 12 Triple Crown winners to date, 10 had regal names befitting the accomplishment, Omaha and Whirlaway were the only winners that had rather ordinary names. It can be said that Sir Barton, Gallant Fox, War Admiral, Count Fleet, Assault, Citation, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed and American Pharoah all have rather regal names. If the racing Gods are watching and with a clean trip and a little luck, I do believe that Justify will become the 11th Triple Crown winner with a regal name to add to the list. Remember, this is my opinion, some may think that Omaha and Whirlaway are not ordinary or common names, you know what they say about opinions!!!!!!

DDT

I rather liked Whirlaway as a, "regal" name. Though I loved the horse, I though Seattle Slew was rather a offbeat name.

Just my opinion, and we know what they are like.

Regards,
Shergar

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:09 pm

I liked Smarty Jones as a horse, but that name was not Triple Crown Worthy. Charismatic would have been.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:47 pm

Charismatic. Yes, that was a good name. The two TC spoilers in Touch Gold and Victory Gallop had great names.

Shergar

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:06 am

Georgerz wrote:Justify drew post position one. I've seen a couple of comments that it is a bad draw, referencing Big Brown, but I don't think it will affect Justify at all. I surely hope he leads gate to wire in a champion's race.

Hi George,
The one post is never the best place to be with a horse who has Justify's running style. It does require a bit more planning and a list of possible scenarios the rider and trainer might talk over. That being said, no amount of planning or possible scenarios of how you predict the race might develop, seldom comes to pass. In this situation you have to put your faith in the horse and due to the one post the rider. Since it comes down to a real time fraction of a second decision coming out of the gate which will decide Justify's trip. Mike Smith, who I'm sure found himself in similar spots in his long career, knows a thing or two about how to handle this situation and I'd say is the right rider to overcome this obstacle. Usually when a rider is faced with such a situation they take full advantage of the faith they have in their horses ability and take charge the way it was done with American Pharoah, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, War Admiral, Whirlaway, Citation, Count Fleet and Gallant Fox....9 of the last 12 TC winners took the front running path. If he is a worthy TC champion (and I think he is) that should be the way it will play out. BUT, that will be the split second decision Mike Smith will make when the gate opens and he can see how the pace plays out.
The biggest disadvantage to Justify being on the rail would be a horse or rider out to sabotage Justify as Jerry Bailey did to Smarty Jones 17 years ago. I point out Bailey because his horse was more of a closer and he also wanted to ride Smarty in the Belmont Stakes and Servis turned him down. After the Belmont Stakes debacle Hennig never rode Bailey on Eddington even though he rode him 7 of 8 starts prior to the Belmont Stakes. He raced 8 more times after the Belmont Stakes without Bailey in the irons and won 4 of those starts. By the way Smarty faced 9 others in his TC attempt, same as Justify will. https://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/07/spor ... e-end.html
With Justify breaking from the inside post, it could be easier for anyone willing to compromise his horses chances of a better placing just to keep Justify from winning the race. That is the main concern from the one hole when you have a target on your back and taking charge is the best defense. TJ