Justify Sidelined--Now Retired

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

Justify Sidelined--Now Retired

Postby TJ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:20 am

Filling found in Justify's left front ankle will put his late Summer racing plans on hold until a full examination is conducted. Personally I doubt we'll see him race again...hope I'm wrong, but it's just too risky to take a chance with him considering his late start and tough campaign to become our thirteenth Triple Crown Champion. TJ
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ns-on-hold
Last edited by TJ on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Re: Justify Sidelined

Postby Shergar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:48 am

I agree in we probably won't see him on the racetrack again.

A real shame as I would have liked him to take on his elders in the Classic.

Regards,
Shergar

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Not willing to throw in the towel just yet, Baffert will supervise Justify's recovery while under his wing at Del Mar. If Justify comes to hand, he could attempt a fall campaign leading to the BC Classic?? TJ
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... at-del-mar

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:21 am

why no imaging or no mention of imaging? :?:
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Not super surprised by this.
Hard to think he'll race again.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Toccet02 wrote:why no imaging or no mention of imaging? :?:

Hi Toccet,
I was wondering that myself? Though it's possible they've done this by now and found nothing. They said there's swelling, but did not mention heat? If this is a serious issue, there would usually be heat along with the swelling? So guess we'll just have to wait and see where this goes. Below is another article where Baffert says he is not unsound and from what I surmise in the first paragraph, Justify will be re-evaluated next week. Hopefully we will learn more at that point?? TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/justifys-swolle ... -two-weeks

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:43 pm

It's official, Justify has been retired. TJ
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rom-racing

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Justify Sidelined--Now Retired

Postby Cree » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:59 pm

After the multiple times he showed up after a race “off”, this is no surprise. All of these parades are obnoxious, I’m sorry, but I like horseRACING.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Definitely disappointing... was looking forward to seeing if he could pull off the “grand slam”.

Jusanothafox
Newborn

Postby Jusanothafox » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:36 am

Very unfortunate that the horses that get people excited are so quickly carted off.. That's what was so good about the people that use to breed just to race, they kept their horses in competition because they valued the sport, their horse and wanted him or her to race. Breeding as a business is part of the problem. Obviously inevitable but Michael Jordan did not quit his Rookie season, so why do people get to retire a " Michael Jordan" of this sport? Because of money? Unfair. If he really had a health issue, of course retire him, but only time could give us that answer, and that time was never taken. Especially after a grueling 115 days of a career that was spectacular. Approximately 115 days... Justify could of been.. As the Triple Crown #13 Will be wondered upon until our next Champion comes along....

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:19 am

It will be interesting to see what Justify's next "step" will be. I, for one, would probably not, even if money was no object, send a mare to a horse as unsound as Justify apparently was.

Curiously, a fellow in my barn has a horse that was "given" to him last year. The previous owners claimed the horse, who ran twice at two and twice at three, from Nov 2016 through Jan 2017, and came out of each race Dead Lame with hot tendons and/or filled ankle(s). When my pal got him back to the barn after that last of those the horse was finally x-rayed and it was discovered his knees were still open! at nearly three years old! At this point the owners gave up and my pal took him home to his farm for a year plus. He is back now and has run a very game 2nd recently and his knees are fully closed. I'm not trying to imply that was Justify's problem - just that sometimes the strangest things can be at root.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....