Vekoma

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Vekoma

Postby skeenan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:17 pm

This horse has connections to New Hampshire (my home state), so I'm rooting for him. :D

If you watched the Blue Grass Stakes, he had a "unique" way of running down the stretch. It was almost like he didn't know what to do, being out front: https://www.nbcsports.com/video/vekoma-wins-2019-blue-grass-stakes

Hoping he puts it together for the Derby and has a good trip! :D

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Vekoma

Postby mehile » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Saw him in person Saturday, he looked like a gangly teenager but it was quite impressive how he pulled away once he focused. He looks like he has a really big stride or at least he can sure get those front legs way up there while he's goofing off in a G1.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm

I saw the run down the stretch. I'm actually concerned. A horse struggling to run straight doesn't need to try a mile and a quarter if it's mile and an eighth looks like that. He's not in balance. This looks to my eye like a problem, if not disaster, waiting to happen in a big field with the craziness of the Derby.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 pm

I saw the run down the stretch. I'm actually concerned. A horse struggling to run straight doesn't need to try a mile and a quarter if it's mile and an eighth looks like that. He's not in balance. This looks to my eye like a problem, if not disaster, waiting to happen in a big field with the craziness of the Derby.

jm

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:30 am

I agree with Joltman. Regardless of the cause, wandering all over the stretch like that is a Very Bad Idea in a huge field with all kinds of crowd noise.

At a very minimum, blinkers. Get him to pay attention to what's in front of him.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:35 am

Admittedly, I haven't watched replays of his other races, but read this in Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen column:
8—Vekoma, George Weaver
Candy Ride (ARG)—Mona de Momma, by Speightstown
As mentioned last week, this colt is getting little respect for what he’s accomplished. Many are turned off by his action, but as Weaver said, “It's just the way he goes. He’s always moved like that. I guess you would think it’s less than ideal action, but he’s always been a real sound horse and he covers a lot of ground. You wouldn't know it watching him walk. Perhaps he just moves that way out of his shoulders. There has been a lot of talk about it, but I’d rather have a horse that moves like him and can run like him than a horse that moves perfectly but can’t run.” Weaver said he will train Vekoma into the Derby from his base at Palm Beach Downs. He will work twice there and then ship to Churchill Downs. He figures it worked for the Blue Grass so he might as well stick to the winning formula, especially since the colt trains well at Palm Beach and is used to the track.

Weird as his running style is, it's apparently his shtick. :|

Who are you guys rooting for this year? :D

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:35 pm

I'm still not buying it. Stride efficiency is so important when a horse is stretched to the max.such as a 3yo at a mile and a quarter. Inefficiencies create imbalances that strain the joints and bone already at their max. I can remember a very crooked colt that ran at CT that went to the paddock in heavy wraps. Had a brilliant turn of foot, but I don't think many riders would give him a try.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:55 pm

He does look very awkward.

I think it's Omaha Beach, but I'll also be rooting for Tacitus.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Thu May 02, 2019 4:55 am

Crazy that Omaha Beach is out. Tacitus is looking great in his workouts. I finally saw Vekoma, his paddling wasn’t as obvious. He looked alert and fit.