2 year old training question

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Laro
Yearling

2 year old training question

Postby Laro » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:41 am

I have a 2 year old colt that I bought as a yearling in Sept in Keenland. He has been in training since then and has been doing well. I am thinking of taking him off the track for up to 6 months and bringing him back as a 3 year old. He is getting ready to breeze for the first time. He has been galloping, and has 2 minute licked a few times. He will be a full 2 years old on 4/15. He hasn't had any problems at all so far and the trainer thinks I should go on with him. I'm thinking I have a better chance of keeping him healthy if I wait. I think his bones have had enough work to build some density, and think I would be better off turning him out and letting him be a horse for awhile. Any thoughts?

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:51 am

The schedule I use is a little different. I, too bought a yearling at Keeneland in September. She was turned out until early December when she went to a training center for two months to be broken and get acquainted with some of the routines that will be expected of her when she races. She was not, however, put into any sort of regular work or training. When she came home at the end of January she was turned out again.

Sometime in late spring or early summer, I'll x-ray her legs (mostly to make sure her knees have fully closed) and then think about sending her back to the training center to refresh her memory about what's she's already learned, get fit, and start working a little more seriously. From that point, if she shows the desire and the talent to go on, I would expect her to be 4-6 months away from being ready to race.

If you're thinking of not racing your colt until he's three, there's absolutely no reason for him to be breezing now. I'm kind of wondering why he's been "in training" for so long and what that was meant to accomplish at his young age. I think turning him out for a while is a great idea. He'd probably really appreciate having a break.

Laro
Yearling

Postby Laro » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:15 am

Thanks for the advice LSB, I wasn't sure if I was going to race him at two or not, but the more I look at it I think my chances of success are much greater if I wait until he's older. I only have 2 horses of racing age, and am thinking why rush either of them as they both seem to be decent horses.

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:36 am

If it was my colt I would take 3 things into consideration: 1ST would be the colts physical make up,2nd would be his mental condition,3rd would be his pedigree. I am assuming money is not the issue at this time.

I have waited with horses hoping that they get stronger and more mature and they have gotten hurt right away and I have pushed them right along and I have won early stakes in May..Mind you these horse were Standardbreds!

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:19 pm

I'm with freddymo. If the horse is eager, xrays clean, and travels well, and comes from a precocious family, go ahead with him. If any of these are missing, give him some time to mature. If he's ready to race, you'd hate to lose all that training you've already paid for. I would particularly wait if he is a heavy-bodied or crooked horse, as he will be hard on those immature legs. What's his name and heritage?
Rocking H

Laro
Yearling

Postby Laro » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:32 pm

His name is Woodrow and he is by Woodman. He seems to be taking the training well and he has grown alot, he has gotten really tall. My first thought was to put him in the 2 year old in training sale, but prices weren't great and I really liked him, so I kept him out. He would be ready to run in about 3-4 months, if I go on with him. He seems to like it, it seems to be a big game to him. He has been perfectly sound up until now, although I haven't had him ex-rayed. There hasn't been a need. He is the only 2 year old in the barn that hasn't been out with some problem or another. Cold, virus, or legs. I understand its always a gamble, just trying to do the smartest thing.

DanN
2yo Maiden

Postby DanN » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:08 pm

I'm with LSB on this one.. We break ours in dec. and gallop for about 6 weeks and then bring them home in the pasture for 60 days to just be a horse.. Seems they do a lot of growing at this time.. Then we go to the track with light training and if the knees are closed after a couple of months we get serious but if the knees are not we wait till they are 3.. GOOD LUCK

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:03 pm

I have a two-year-old that I presume will be a late bloomer, and I had her get about 6 wks of charm school last fall, be handled and ridden, then turned her out. I doubt I'll even resume training again until December or so. My other girl is immature but handles training well, and we hope to race her this summer if her knees are closed.
Rocking H

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:56 pm

I for one cannot figure out why Woodrow has been going for 7 months apparently non-stop and yet has not done any speed work, ie one eighth sprints. Its not that I would advocate rushing any young horse at all but I just see no plan here except by the trainer to keep the money coming in.My 2yrold has been in and started for 8 weeks then out for a month then in again for 8 weeks and is now relishing the new grass and warmer weather here as I find this is a great time for young ones to bloom as they are less occupied in keeping warm. Its so great having them devouring the new grasses and plants that may well protect their immune systems later on.Of course if he looks like a precocious type well you best be getting on with it as long as his knees are closed and his upper respiratory health is fine. All this said I still see no justification for 7 straight months of education , perhaps the regime at the training center is more relaxed than usual ,is it in So Cal near you? I had a beautiful Woodman who just improved with age. Whatever you do ,lots of success.

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby George William Smith » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:19 pm

Depends on the 2yo. Some can only win and run in good company at two. At two, depending on their pedigree and importation of what they get from each parent, some have a huge advantage over others just like a kid can be a star soccer play at 12, but below average at 17 once the other males have caught up.

When I was beginning my running career, almost everyone beat me as they were faster than I, but by the time I was in Grade 12, they were all behind me. And the ones furthest behind me were the ones who trounced me in Grade 8. Clearly I needed more time. However, a lot of those other kids got some solid self-esteem beating the pants off of me and others early in jr. high and high school and could say to their kids I used to beat that George Smith guy and he was a national team athlete.

Some breeders throw away any hope of their horse paying its way by not training and racing that horse at two. Very few horses are good at all ages.

:)

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Laro

Postby Denise » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:39 am

We're doing virtually nothing with our two year old homebred this year.
He was easily saddle broken last fall, has been gate schooled and ridden out on the trail, and done everything we've asked, happily and professionally. He's got an amazing, easygoing disposition like his sire, (unlike his dam), who both did win as two year olds. So why do we wait?
His sire has had very little success with two year olds in his first crop, and our trainers don't push babies. Of the four fillies that we have asked to run as two year olds, only one won, and on the turf in late fall.
This two year old baby is by an Unbridled line sire, out of a Cozzene mare, both later maturing progeny stallions. So we made the decision to just let our little guy be a horse and grow up in the field. He continues to get taller and scopier, so we want those bones to knit solidly. They'll get back on him in the summer and puddle around a bit in the fall, and then, come Dec.-January, we'll get a better sense of what we have.
I love Woodman babies, by the way, especially on the, eek, turf. :D

bcassidy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby bcassidy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:00 am

Laro, there is nothing wrong with running a horse at 2 ---it just depends on the pedigree and physical/mental make-up of the horse. Check the pedigree of the mare, did she run at 2 and win?, did she produce any foals that raced and won at 2? if so, and your horse continues to go on well--keep going--- you are one of the lucky ones. 2 yr olds and 3 yr olds can run against horses their own age and do not have to run against older horses, so it is a huge advantage to get one there early, if they can.
As far as the speed work goes, there is a method of training which almost mitigates bucked shins but it has to be followed very carefully. Most of the current trainers have probably not trained with the method I am referring to but it is a very good method to use for lots of reasons. The typical trainer learned their methods from at least one and possibly several "old time" trainers. There is a lot they don't know so don't take everything they say as gospel. The bones of a young horse will not set properly without the proper amount of speed work. If it is done incorrectly, the horse will buck it's shins and be prone to saucer fractures later in it's life. There are many studies done on this, I will see if I can find the sources for you to go to and download the studies that have been done on this. It is very interesting and flies in the face of most of what trainers will tell you. My advice is--If you think you can get the horse there at 2 then by all means do it. You are a very long way from getting there if you haven't even started your speed work. Most horses buck the last work before they will be entered ( or so it seems) The early training process will be good for the young horse mentally, as long as it isn't rushed or put in bad situations, so even if you can't get them to the races at 2, it still isn't a bad thing to do, just expensive. Hope this helps. Brendan
best regards Brendan

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:24 am

He may be just galloping as his knees might not be closed yet. But if they aren't and he is due for a little breeze he should be given some time to mature.
There is nothing wrong with racing two year olds.
My personal opinion on whether to turn out or not is if his knees are closed and the horse is doing well, then let them give him a little breeze, let them turn the "light on" a bit. Start to gate school some as well. And if he comes out of that well, then go on with it. I much prefer to get the horse on it's way to having meaning to going around in circles... Try to keep him in training until his shins are bucked and then turn him out. I hate having three year olds that have bucked shins. It is a long up hill battle at three because more people are willing to train a 3 year old "through" bucked shins than they are a two year old. Maybe your colt won't buck his shins at all and stay free from the developmental problems that young horses go though as their bodies adjust to the rigors of training.