Papers No Papers a Time of Upheaval

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

madelyn

Papers No Papers a Time of Upheaval

Postby madelyn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:44 pm

I was gently scolded in a racing office last week for failing to "keep papers on file" --- that is just So Old School. I'm not stabled there. I'm at a training center conveniently located between Belterra, Churchill, Turfway, Ellis, Indiana, Kentucky Downs, Keeneland etc. and will race at the next available race for whatever horse I have that suits it when the time is right to run. There is also No chance I will ever go to one of those races without papers in hand if the horse is in for a tag. In the past few weeks I've got excluded 3x which isn't bad. This whole date preference system Ugh... does anyone know how this is going to work next year once the 2018 "paperless" two year olds start running? The papers are all virtual.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Papers No Papers a Time of Upheaval

Postby mehile » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:12 pm

I'm curious how the change in ownership is gonna work, being paperless. Last I checked (which admittedly has been several years) all you had to do to register the change of ownership with the JC was go on their website and type in your name and the previous owners name and mark it changed. Seems ripe for misuse in all kinds of ways.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:38 am

No kidding...
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

jpshindel
Newborn

Postby jpshindel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:37 am

It is still the case that to change things with the JC you just need to log on, enter the name of the new owner, check a box and hit submit. I recently had a needlessly drawn out back and forth with a racing office because the breeder of a colt I bought in a private sale had not changed the ownership online with the JC (admittedly, I should have checked). When entered for his first race, the entry was automatically listed with the stale ownership info from the JC, despite the fact that I DID have the actual JC papers on file in the racing office with the transfer of ownership noted there. The racing office demanded to see the bill of sale (hard to believe the hard-copy JC papers aren't good enough)

It all was a moot point in the end since the race was cancelled due to heat and has yet to be brought back on an overnight. In the meantime, I logged into the JC and made the change online too so whenever a race comes up that fits my guy, hopefully there are no more issues

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:22 am

As far as I'm aware that's all that's needed. Seems like it's going to cause all sorts of drama, accidental like yours and possibly random people thinking it's fun to cause caos and change all sorts of ownership around. Sort of like people getting on this page and gelding well known studs and creating foals that doesn't exist. Hopefully not but I think they really need to update with a little more checks and balances. Like having to put in registration # or something.