I'm seeking race history of a horse foaled in 1946!

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Ryor
Newborn

I'm seeking race history of a horse foaled in 1946!

Postby Ryor » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi all - newbie here!
Bit of a tall order I know but can anyone suggest sites where I might be able to do this please? I'm in the UK, and the horse (Murghab) was UK bred but raced in Europe only (I think). I know he came second in one of the European St Legers which I suppose must've been around 1949-50, but can't rmember which - it wasn't the UK. Italian maybe.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

A bit about me - I live in a very rural part of Yorkshire (northern England), am no longer a spring chicken, no longer keep horses or ride, sadly (back, hips). Miss the horse world, but still do racing regularly most Saturdays - our big racing day of the week (is that the same in the USA?)

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: I'm seeking race history of a horse foaled in 1946!

Postby Joltman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:27 pm

well if this is the guy, he at least sired a white tb.

https://books.google.com/books?id=RlIEA ... ce&f=false

happy hunting

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Ryor
Newborn

Postby Ryor » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:09 am

Many thanks JM, particularly for the link - I had come across photos of full-grown albino TBs (more than one iirc) when I'd googled Murghab's name - but the photos hadn't mentioned him as the sire, so I thought that maybe the owner/s of the albino/s had simply happened to choose the same name. Anyway, that does look pretty good evidence given the Italian/French connection. Such a rarity, so Hall of Fame quite apart from his race record I'd say!

The reason for my interest is that when I worked in France for 6 months in 1966 as a teenager, there was a racing yard next door to my employers. I went over to them to say hi, and ended up regularly exercising Murghab, who must have been around 20 years old at that point, but who, once out on the dirt training track, obviously thought he was back in a race & regularly took off with me at full pace, no way was he going to slow down!! I'd never ridden short before, & the back straight had low overhanging branches, so first time round was "interesting" :mrgreen:

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:16 am

What a great memory! Hope you can find more on him~

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Ryor
Newborn

Postby Ryor » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Indeed! and thanks Joltman, will update if I do. Think I may end up having to pay to get onto at least one UK site which might have it - Racing Post - I'd been trying to avoid that, as no guarantees, and in any case, around $40 is a lot to pay for one piece of basic info!

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:20 pm

You might try france-galop.com
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

Ryor
Newborn

Postby Ryor » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Thanks K-2 - tried it, but though I found the correct horse very quickly, there was no race history for him in France. However, it was still helpful to have done that, because by a process of elimination I'm now pretty sure that his racing was done in Italy & that it was the Italian St Leger. Your link also gives me the idea of searching similar Italian sites, so thanks :)

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am

Hello,

On this site, you can find the above horse with some of his Italian races and obviously with some progeny here.

http://www.galopp-sieger.de/
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Ryor
Newborn

Postby Ryor » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:05 am

erins isle wrote:Hello,

On this site, you can find the above horse with some of his Italian races and obviously with some progeny here.

http://www.galopp-sieger.de/

Kind of you to link that Erins Isle, but I can only see races in Germany, and unfortunately I can't find any way of searching the site for Murghab or the races he ran in. Could you point me in the right direction please?

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:28 am

Dear Ryor,

at the top of the homepage of www.galopp-sieger.de you'll find a menue.

Hello Ryor,

From this you choose "Stammtafeln" = pedigree-tables. After this insert on the following page the name of your horse at "Abstammungen von" and then click "Suchen" = search. After this you'll get a table with the progeny treasured currently in this data-base.

Behind the names of sire and dam of your searched horse there are 3 little red point. Click on these and you'll get the racing-results of your horse which are known in this data-base.

I hope this may help, kind regards
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Ryor
Newborn

Postby Ryor » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:00 pm

erins isle wrote:Dear Ryor,

at the top of the homepage of http://www.galopp-sieger.de you'll find a menue.

Hello Ryor,

From this you choose "Stammtafeln" = pedigree-tables. After this insert on the following page the name of your horse at "Abstammungen von" and then click "Suchen" = search. After this you'll get a table with the progeny treasured currently in this data-base.

Behind the names of sire and dam of your searched horse there are 3 little red point. Click on these and you'll get the racing-results of your horse which are known in this data-base.

I hope this may help, kind regards

Many thanks Erins Isle, I will indeed do that!
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been off-site for a while - mind on more pressing things.
I hope everybody is OK & getting by in these difficult times.

all best - Ry