Whatta scratch!

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

madelyn

Whatta scratch!

Postby madelyn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:39 am

Yesterday in the 5th at Belterra, standing in Stall 3 with Stormy Memo, I heard Lori the horse id gal mutter, "That's not Rocket Girl!!" She signalled the 5 horse back, checked the lip again and looked all over. And scratched a big chestnut gelding with a white blaze that should have been a dark bay filly with no white. Sure enough Jimmy Corrigan's help had sent over the wrong horse. Apparently the confusion was over the stall number but the help never even checked anything, just put the bridle on the wrong horse and brought it over.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Re: Whatta scratch!

Postby Mahubah » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Hoo, boy. That was some blooper---can only imagine the confusion if that had gone uncaught and people who knew the filly watched the race.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:48 pm

Yeah you wonder what would have happened if they let that one run - for the bettors etc. Rocket Girl, the horse they should have brought, would probably have run away with it and put me in 4th instead of 3rd. If I was the owner of Rocket Girl I would have been absolutely steaming about the idiocy of that kind of mistake.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:10 pm

uh... when there's that incompetency in the barn and with the staff, no way I would be keeping a horse with them.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:31 pm

There was a couple more fun ones in my races recently. Last week Queen Maxine was in a mile on the grass at Belterra - the 9 was sent over in the wrong shoes and was scratched in the paddock.

A couple weeks ago Miss Pinkerton was in a 5f on the turf at Ellis - there was a chestnut filly next to us in the receiving barn that got there before us and in the entire 5-1/2 hours I was with my horse no one went near her. There was a fan, a bucket, and a small box outside her stall. Well she was apparently the 8 horse in my race and owned by a valet at Ellis using someone as a "beard" - and the beard owner or trainer forgot to hire a run groom. No one ever brought her over. Late scratch.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:29 pm

I guess you can't win if nobody leads you over to the paddock...
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:21 pm

Anyone remember what happened at Mahoning Valley about a couple of years ago? A gelding won a maiden claiming race for fillies and mares. No one caught it and the gelding, who had already won some races, won the race and it paid over 100 to 1 to win. No one was arrested or anything as far as I know, and a few people cashed some nice winning tickets.
Shawklit Won.