By My Standards

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

By My Standards

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:33 pm

By My Standards is a very good racehorse and has four grade 2 stakes wins to prove it. He also has won over $1,800,000. Yet, you hardly ever see or hear anything about him. I guess that is because of horses like Authentic, Maximum Security, and Tiz The Law getting most of the headlines.

I have been reading up on him and am very impressed. For one thing, he is very consistent only being out of the money twice (Breeders Cup Classic and Kentucky Derby. Maybe a mile and a quarter just is not his distance). Other than that, he is almost always first or second despite racing in mostly graded stakes races. I think he was third once in a maiden race.

What do people here think of By My Standards? Thoughts?
Shawklit Won.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Re: By My Standards

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:58 pm

His sire and dam were relatively durable and in the money quite often as well.
Wish I had a confo pic, but race Alysheba stakes replay shows powerful, efficient running style.
On the shallow side, great, rare shade of lighter bay. :)
I'd take a chance. I like Goldencents.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Thanks for responding.

I like Goldencents too. I wonder about one thing though. He had a terrific first crop with 2 big horses in millionaires By My Standards and Mr. Money. In his second and third crops, nothing like those two yet. He gets a lot of two year old winners and runners and seems like a bargain with his 15K stud fee, but I hope he gets another big horse like Mr. Money or By My Standards pretty soon.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:20 pm

A two year old son of Goldencents named No Cents won a 100K stakes race at Laurel Park today for his third win in four races (he finished second in his first race). His races have all been sprints, so I don't know if he will stretch out later. Maybe he won't turn out to be a multiple graded stakes winner like By My Standards or Mr. Money, but it is nice to see this anyway. Besides, who knows?
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:58 pm

Goldencents' progeny seem to be on a roll lately as daughter Malibu Mischief won a 5.5F AOC race at Laurel Park today with a time of 1:02:48.

Yesterday, in addition to No Cents winning a 100K stakes race, another Goldencents' daughter, Golden Ami won a 6.5F allowance race at Woodbine with a time of 1:14:53.

Funny thing about Golden Ami; she didn't race until this year as a 4 year old. Golden Ami has had only 2 races so far and she has won them both.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:31 am

Goldencents started out at stud with a wonderful first crop. Apparently, he got bred to a lot of very good mares during his first breeding season. Since then, not so much. His second and third crop do not seem to be anywhere near as good as his first crop, so far. I know that breeders (owners and stallion farms) often try to get their stallions off to a good start by supporting their new stallions with the best broodmares that they can get for them. After the first year they often have other new stallions that they try to build up with good broodmares. I guess that is why new stallions often tail off after starting off well in their first year.

There are some horses in Goldencents second crop that look to be capable of winning graded stakes races like Empire Of Gold, Going To Vegas, Ain't No Elmers, and Golden Candy, but so far it hasn't happened after getting three multiple graded or group stakes winners in his first crop. He does have a third crop two year old named No Cents that has already won a stakes race and a couple other races, but not much else in his two year old crop so far. Of course, there are many two year old colts and fillies by Goldencents that have yet to make the racetrack. Lets hope some of them turn out to be great and the ones that are already racing reach their full potential.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:11 pm

I have got my eye on a 2 year old colt named Goldenite by Goldencents that makes his debut on Saturday (12/19) at the Fair Grounds in a 50K MSW race. What caught my eye was that he has had three bullet workouts. That doesn't mean that he definitely will be a great racehorse, but it can't hurt. Besides, Goldencents is due to have another good 2 year old. He already has No Cents who looks like he may be pretty good.

Trouble is, his handlers seem to have picked maybe the worst MSW race for 2 year old colts around right now. There are about half a dozen colts in that race that sold for 6 figures including one for 385K and another for 370K. Hot trainer Brad Cox has two colts in that race. Other trainers that have a colt in the race include Steve Asmussen, Mark Casse, Tom Amoss, Albert Stall, and Dallas Stewart.

Goldenite is only a 25K colt, but I hope he makes a good showing here. The competition looks tough for a maiden race, but I will be happy if he just shows some good potential if he doesn't win.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:51 pm

In less than a couple of hours, Goldenite runs in his first race. I really don't expect him to win. If I was going to bet on the race, I would likely take a colt named Prate to win. Prate has had some very fast works and is by Into Mischief, the hottest stallion in the country right now. Prate's trainer is the very competent Brad Cox who has been doing really well lately.

So, Prate would be my pick, but there are some top notch trainers with horses in that race and some very expensive horses. I think that Prate might go right to the front and not be caught, but anything can happen. Hope that Goldenite gets up for a part of the trifecta.
Shawklit Won.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Well he was up against a tough one for sure. Great potential for that one as a 3yo for sure. Into Mischief. I couldn't follow the Goldencents colt got lost early I think. Masquerade came from nowhere late, way too late - but his gallop out was strong.

Will be in against easier next time I think.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:23 pm

I was right about Prate winning, but a little disappointed about Goldenite. A bad race for him as he was off a little slow, got bumped, and was taken up maybe to get a better position. Still, only his first race and I really did not expect him to win against that field of maidens. Doesn't look like he got a very good trip. Should be easier the next time as Joltman said. Even Secretariat didn't win the first time out.
Shawklit Won.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:34 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Goldencents started out at stud with a wonderful first crop. Apparently, he got bred to a lot of very good mares during his first breeding season. Since then, not so much. His second and third crop do not seem to be anywhere near as good as his first crop, so far. I know that breeders (owners and stallion farms) often try to get their stallions off to a good start by supporting their new stallions with the best broodmares that they can get for them. After the first year they often have other new stallions that they try to build up with good broodmares. I guess that is why new stallions often tail off after starting off well in their first year.

That's the driving force behind the share the upside program. Spendthrift requires that you breed a mare in the first and second season so it might just be the type of mare that they chose to send to him. In all the recent interviews about Into Mischief they said that most of the mares he had in his earlier books were the speedier types and that's why you didn't see many "classic" types so the first crop might have been the latter not the former.

Other than IM there haven't been too many success stories from the share the upside program but Spendthrift still comes out ahead because they didn't have to invest much of their own money to get foals onto the ground.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Into mischief will continue to get top notch broodmares and with Authentic starting out in 2021, not sure what kind of mares Goldencents will get. I hope that his progeny starts winning some big ones pretty soon.

BTW, Goldencents has three entered in stakes races Saturday (12/26), including Going to Vegas who is entered in the 300K 10F grade 1 American Oaks at Santa Anita.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:13 pm

Good day for Goldencents today. First, 2 year old No Cents won the 7F 100K Heft Stakes at Laurel Park. It was his 4th straight win in 5 races and his 2nd straight stakes win.

Second, 3 year old filly Going To Vegas finished 2nd in the 1/1/4 300K grade 1 American Oaks at Santa Anita today. It was the 3rd straight 2nd place finish in graded stakes races for Going To Vegas, a former claimer.

Third, 4 year old filly Malibu Mischief finished 3rd in the 6F 100K Willa On The Move Stakes at Laurel Park today, putting an end to his 6 race winning streak.

Looks like Goldencents is not through getting good racehorses.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:26 pm

Goldencents' millionaire son Mr. Money has been retired to stud at Journeyman Stallions in Ocala, Florida. His fee is 5K. I was looking forward to seeing him race in 2021, but those are the breaks. Good luck Mr. Money. Hope you make a lot of it.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:18 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:I was right about Prate winning, but a little disappointed about Goldenite. A bad race for him as he was off a little slow, got bumped, and was taken up maybe to get a better position. Still, only his first race and I really did not expect him to win against that field of maidens. Doesn't look like he got a very good trip. Should be easier the next time as Joltman said. Even Secretariat didn't win the first time out.

Goldenite is entered on the under card of the LeComte Stakes in a MSW race at the Fair Grounds on the 16th of January. It should be a little easier than the field of his first race. At least Prate is not in it as he is now a winner, but the second place colt in his first race, Blameworthy, is. Also, there is once again some top trainers like Brad Cox, Steve Asmussen, Dallas Stewart, Wayne Catalano, W. Bret Calhoun, etc. in it. Also some six figure colts including a 600K and a 475K.

Sounds tough, but 9 out of 12 of the main entries (there are 3 AE's) are first time starters. Looks like it won't be easy for Goldenite, but it should not be as hard as the last time. The last time he was bumped at the start and taken back, spotting the leaders many lengths. Should do better this time.
Shawklit Won.