re: By My Standards

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: re: By My Standards

Postby Joltman » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:49 pm

Great story. If I got back in, I would want to be rubbin' them as well.

I'm sure your killing it at the windows now...

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:28 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:Goldenite did improve, but not enough in my view (he finished 6th). So, it doesn't look like he is going to be a graded stakes type horse, despite his good workouts. I still will keep an eye on him and hope that he proves me wrong.

Another Goldencents 3 year old that could be a good one is Goldini, who just won a 50K maiden claiming race on grass at Santa Anita in his second race. I saw the race and was impressed. His winning time was 1:36:38, which is not too bad. True, maiden claiming races are not indicative of starts of great careers, but it was 50K, and it was Santa Anita. Besides, he looked good to me.

Anyway, I am looking to see where he goes from here and I would not be surprised if it is an allowance race or maybe even a stakes race. One possibility could be the 100K Pasadena Stakes on the 27th of February at Santa Anita. If he doesn't do well, then there are also some starter races that he might be eligible for.

It was a starter race. Goldini finished 3rd but was DQ'd and finished 4th. Veered out in the stretch I think. Good idea for new trainer D'Amato. Goldini can get experience in starter races without being concerned about being claimed. I really thought he would win a starter race. Wonder what's next? Maybe another starter race.

Goldini finished 2nd in a starter race today. He ran well, but the winner raced in 1:35 and change to beat Goldini by half a length. One good thing is that Goldini is still eligible to race in that type of starter race (same conditions). Otherwise, he would probably have to race in allowance company or even a claiming race. Now his handlers do not have to make that decision as yet. I think they would have opted for an allowance race.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:40 pm

According to the Santa Anita condition book, there is a 1 mile on turf starter optional claiming race on May 15th. That is the likely next start for Goldini and would be four weeks after his last race (4/17/21). About the only difference in the conditions is that it is for 3 year old horses and up, instead of just for 3 year old colts. That is the trouble with being a 3 year old colt. Sooner or later you have run against older horses. Of course, how good could an older horse be if he has run in a claiming race and hasn't won two races, or is in for a claim?

On the other hand, some horses don't get to run much due to injuries or other problems, but are still more developed than a 3 year old colt, especially at this time of year. Well, we will see what happens. Anyway, can't wait to see Goldini race again.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:03 pm

I hope this is a mistake. Equibase has Goldini listed as a gelding now. Don't know why they would geld him now, and it has to be recent if he is, in fact, a gelding now. Goldini wasn't listed as a gelding in his last race on 4/17, and he raced well, gaining on the leader and losing by a mere half a length. The winning time was 1:35 and change.

Hope it is a mistake. I think that Goldini could be capable of winning graded stakes races, and he has looked pretty good so far. Evidently, his handlers don't believe he is that good, if he really has been gelded.

I know that in the big scheme of things, whether Goldini has been gelded or not is of little consequence to almost everybody, but I have been rooting for the young colt.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed May 05, 2021 1:08 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:I hope this is a mistake. Equibase has Goldini listed as a gelding now. Don't know why they would geld him now, and it has to be recent if he is, in fact, a gelding now. Goldini wasn't listed as a gelding in his last race on 4/17, and he raced well, gaining on the leader and losing by a mere half a length. The winning time was 1:35 and change.

Hope it is a mistake. I think that Goldini could be capable of winning graded stakes races, and he has looked pretty good so far. Evidently, his handlers don't believe he is that good, if he really has been gelded.

I know that in the big scheme of things, whether Goldini has been gelded or not is of little consequence to almost everybody, but I have been rooting for the young colt.

I think it is not a mistake. Bloodhorse also has Goldini listed as a gelding, so it is probably true.

I guess the chances of Goldini becoming any kind of significant stallion is practically nothing anyway, even if he does end up winning some graded stakes races. I was just surprised because Goldini seemed to be racing pretty well. Maybe he was difficult, but I don't know about that.

Anyway, Goldini is a son of Goldencents, who is a son of Into Mischief. Into Mischief is the hottest stallion in the country now, and a number of his sons will likely end up as stallions, and some already are. So, even the best sons of Goldencents might have a difficult time trying to get to the big farms and getting top class mares to breed to.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu May 13, 2021 12:36 am

Goldini is running in a 6 furlong starter race Saturday. He is a gelding and is getting blinkers for the race. I guess that his trainer, D'Amato, is puling out all the stops in an attempt to win some races with Goldini.

Trouble with being gelded is that kills any chance of him being a stallion, slim as that chance would have been. Goldini will race now as long as he can and at the end will probably be racing in cheap claiming races at small tracks after being claimed many times. Was hoping for something better for him.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:51 pm

By My Standards finished second in the Met Mile today. Wonder about his stud career? He will probably go to stud in a year or two, but where and how will he be accepted?
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:26 pm

By My Standards will be standing at Spendthrift Farm in 2022.

I am kind of high on a Goldencents 2 year old colt named Daufuskie Island. On Monday, he finished 2nd by a nose in a state bred race called the Aspirant Stakes at Finger Lakes with a purse of 116K and change. He lost by a head bob and it looked like he won the race as it was very close. The third place horse was more than 9 lengths behind. In the 2 year old stakes race for fillies (the Lady Finger Stakes) on the same day at Finger Lakes, the winning time was more than 2 seconds slower than the Aspirant.

I know that state bred races are generally not the same quality as open races, but I find him impressive, so far. Daufuskie Island may end up in open stakes races if he continues his success in state bred stakes. I wonder if he will stretch out or stay in sprints?

Daufuskie Island won his debut, a state bred MSW race at Saratoga by over 5 lengths. Should be fun to see how he does from here in.
Shawklit Won.