re: By My Standards

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

re: By My Standards

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:03 pm

Goldenite did improve, but not enough in my view (he finished 6th). So, it doesn't look like he is going to be a graded stakes type horse, despite his good workouts. I still will keep an eye on him and hope that he proves me wrong.

Another Goldencents 3 year old that could be a good one is Goldini, who just won a 50K maiden claiming race on grass at Santa Anita in his second race. I saw the race and was impressed. His winning time was 1:36:38, which is not too bad. True, maiden claiming races are not indicative of starts of great careers, but it was 50K, and it was Santa Anita. Besides, he looked good to me.

Anyway, I am looking to see where he goes from here and I would not be surprised if it is an allowance race or maybe even a stakes race. One possibility could be the 100K Pasadena Stakes on the 27th of February at Santa Anita. If he doesn't do well, then there are also some starter races that he might be eligible for.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: re: By My Standards

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:12 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Goldenite did improve, but not enough in my view (he finished 6th). So, it doesn't look like he is going to be a graded stakes type horse, despite his good workouts. I still will keep an eye on him and hope that he proves me wrong.

Another Goldencents 3 year old that could be a good one is Goldini, who just won a 50K maiden claiming race on grass at Santa Anita in his second race. I saw the race and was impressed. His winning time was 1:36:38, which is not too bad. True, maiden claiming races are not indicative of starts of great careers, but it was 50K, and it was Santa Anita. Besides, he looked good to me.

Anyway, I am looking to see where he goes from here and I would not be surprised if it is an allowance race or maybe even a stakes race. One possibility could be the 100K Pasadena Stakes on the 27th of February at Santa Anita. If he doesn't do well, then there are also some starter races that he might be eligible for.

It was a starter race. Goldini finished 3rd but was DQ'd and finished 4th. Veered out in the stretch I think. Good idea for new trainer D'Amato. Goldini can get experience in starter races without being concerned about being claimed. I really thought he would win a starter race. Wonder what's next? Maybe another starter race.
Shawklit Won.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:52 am

Those Ca starter races for NW2 have served well to ferret out the class of those that might go on to allowance or stakes of some sort, but most, of course, do not. anything's possible.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:31 am

Shawklit Won wrote:.... True, maiden claiming races are not indicative of starts of great careers, but it was 50K, and it was Santa Anita. Besides, he looked good to me..

Let's not forget that Maximum Security won a $16K MCL at Gulfstream. In that race, Math Wizard was claimed and went on to win the PA Derby. Another claim I recall is Furthest Land for $35K that won a Breeder's Cup race for Mike Maker..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:07 pm

It seems to me that some of those starter races come up every bid as Allowance. If horses duck the claim (or even if they don't) they can run the starter conditions sometimes at VERY low prices. There was a $5k mare I wanted to get serious about but she was claimed, and is a beast in starter. Won't see the bottom again any time soon.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:15 am

Well there's Starter and there's Starter Optional Claimer. In the starter, they have to have started for the tag stated or less, within two years of the race. Sometimes the date is shorter. In the SOC they could have started for the tag stated, or run for the claiming tag. Starter races are deceiving. They can come up tougher than straight allowance - but typically your starter horses are out of conditions and can't run in an allowance anymore. (NW2, NW3, etc.)

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:56 pm

madelyn wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:.... True, maiden claiming races are not indicative of starts of great careers, but it was 50K, and it was Santa Anita. Besides, he looked good to me..

Let's not forget that Maximum Security won a $16K MCL at Gulfstream. In that race, Math Wizard was claimed and went on to win the PA Derby. Another claim I recall is Furthest Land for $35K that won a Breeder's Cup race for Mike Maker..

Also, General Quarters was claimed for 20K in his first race, but went on to win some graded stakes races. It does happen, as you showed.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:58 pm

Joltman wrote:Those Ca starter races for NW2 have served well to ferret out the class of those that might go on to allowance or stakes of some sort, but most, of course, do not. anything's possible.

That is what I hope happens to Goldini, that is he goes on to run in allowance and stakes races.
Shawklit Won.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 am

Shawklit Won wrote:
madelyn wrote:

Also, General Quarters was claimed for 20K in his first race, but went on to win some graded stakes races. It does happen, as you showed.

Ah General Quarters! :D I knew Tom McCarthy. He had a little farm near me with a small barn and a few acres and a very old brick house. He was a retired High School Principal, on pretty fixed income. GQ was his one "big" spend - $20K plus tax to claim. The horse earned him $1.2 mil I believe. A Lot of people helped along the way since Tom had kicked around the biz for a very long time and spent hard earned money in the game. They even tried him at stud - then Tom finally succumbed to the infirmities old age and his offspring sold the horse at Keeneland. One of the nicer stories about a little guy.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks for the info. It is good to know these stories about people in the horse business.
Shawklit Won.

JimP
Allowance Winner

Postby JimP » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:23 pm

I am setting at Oaklawn ready for race 9 and low and behold By My Standards is 5/2 in the $400000 The Oaklawn Mile!!
JimP
White Cat Farm
[email protected]

"the gene pool could use a little chlorine"

JimP
Allowance Winner

Postby JimP » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:01 pm

Great race By My Standards by a nose!!
JimP

White Cat Farm

[email protected]

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:26 pm

JimP wrote:I am setting at Oaklawn ready for race 9 and low and behold By My Standards is 5/2 in the $400000 The Oaklawn Mile!!

I am glad that By My Standards won. Hope you had some dough on him.

Do you live near Oaklawn?
Shawklit Won.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:24 pm

way back when I remember the ever-colorful BDW### used to hail from Hot Springs I believe....

JimP
Allowance Winner

Postby JimP » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:19 am

I do live about 15 minutes from Oaklawn. I moved here about 4 years ago after retirement. After being an owner
for all these years I decided I really wanted to see how this game works. So I told my trainer I was going to help him
for this meet. I have groomed, hot walked and been on the backside everyday. Believe me it gives you a whole new
respect for each and everyone that works at a track. It is a demanding job but I have enjoyed it. After owning horses
all these years I didn't realize how much I could still learn! My trainer asked me if I wanted to move to the next track when
the meet ends.......I told him I thought I would pass!! LOL
JimP

White Cat Farm

[email protected]