Derby - 2021!

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

jellac
Grade I Winner

Derby - 2021!

Postby jellac » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:00 pm

Thought I'd kick off some 'Derby chatter' with this post - it's meant to stimulate pedigree posts so the Derby contestant I'm going to mention isn't the meant to narrow the subject; just the start I hope of some good ol' fashioned Derby talk!!

HOT ROD CHARLIE - This horse received an unheard-of FULL PAGE spread with three photos in today's Houston Chronicle. It spurred me to do a little more research on this horse, presently in Kentucky prepping for his once in a life time opportunity/chance. He won the G2 Louisiana Derby and won or finished well enough in other stakes races to be a contender. The newspaper was more about his 'Houston' connection via one of the young men in the Boat Racing, LLC partnership, that among other partnerships, own this horse.

Turns out that his being there is not as surprising as I first thought, or as implied by the story in today's paper. He is out of the same mare, Indian Miss, that produced MITOLE, now standing at stud in KY ($15k) and earner of MGSW/2019 Eclipse Champion Sprinter of $3MM+ at the track. "Charlie" has already banked $1,005,700+ and has the Derby Day ahead of him. With recently deceased Edwin A. Cox, Jr. his breeder, Doug O'Neil his trainer, Flavian Pratt his jockey, he certainly has solid connections behind him leading up to this challenge. His sire, OXBOW, has had mixed reviews on this site and decreasing interest in his progeny at the auctions, so I would think a win or top placement in the Derby finish might change some minds on that?

https://www.pedigreequery.com/hot+rod+charlie

Well, fellow Pedigree posters, what do you think of Charlie's chances and specifically what in his pedigree bodes well for a potential Derby win, or hints that's not in the cards?

Let the Derby chatter begin!

Edited to add link to Houston Chronicle story for those interested:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/general/article/The-Houston-connection-behind-Kentucky-Derby-16124816.php

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Derby - 2021!

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:27 pm

Essential Quality is the probable favorite. Rock Your World could do it, I think.

I am rooting for Medina Spirit, even though he was Baffert's "second horse" this year. I have learned to never count out Baffert's horses in big races. I am not really a big fan of Bob Baffert, but I like this horse (Medina Spirit). MS was not an expensive horse, and I am a little surprised that he ended up being trained by Bob. Not sired by a fashionable sire (Protonico), but I remember Protonico when he was a racehorse. Maybe he will be more fashionable if Medina Spirit keeps running well.

Medina Spirit will be a 35K colt running against a bunch of 6 figure type 3 year old colts in the Derby.
Shawklit Won.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:50 pm

I too like Hot Rod Charlie for the reasons you mention, plus 7 starts by now is sadly above average for Derby entrants, it seems.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:51 pm

POST POSITIONS:

2021 Kentucky Derby post positions
01 - Known Agenda
02 - Like The King
03 - Brooklyn Strong
04 - KeepMeInMind
05 - Sainthood
06 - O Besos
07 - Mandaloun
08 - Medina Spirit
09 - Hot Rod Charlie
10 - Midnight Bourbon
11 - Dynamic One
12 - Helium
13 - Hidden Stash
14 - Essential Quality
15 - Rock Your World
16 - King Fury
17 - Highly Motivated
18 - Super Stock
19 - Soup And Sandwich
20 - Bourbonic

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun May 02, 2021 12:39 am

Now that Medina Spirit has won the Derby, what are his chances in the Preakness?

Baffert's Kentucky Derby winners usually win the Preakness too. I wonder if that will happen this time?
Shawklit Won.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sun May 02, 2021 6:19 pm

Well done Shawklit Won!

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 pm

for sure. Angles in this race are everything. The 'other Baffert' comes in, like Real Quiet
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon May 03, 2021 3:14 pm

I had Medina Spirit - just placed a small win bet.. Love underdogs. Also can't ever discount a Baffert horse.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon May 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Pay a few feed bills at least :)

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue May 04, 2021 6:20 pm

jellac wrote:Well done Shawklit Won!

Thanks, can't wait for the Preakness now.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue May 11, 2021 12:02 am

I am a little bit surprised that no one here is writing about Baffert and the drug thing. It is all over the news. I, for one, am hoping that Baffert is proved innocent, at least in this case. I hope that Medina Spirit wins the Preakness, if for no other reason than to give some legitimacy to his Derby win.

All we can do now is wait and see what happens.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat May 15, 2021 11:28 pm

Medina Spirit finished 3rd in the Preakness a few hours ago. Rombauer ran a very good race and deserved to win. He was a fresher horse than Medina Spirit having not run in the Kentucky Derby. Rombauer had not run for 5 weeks. That is OK because that is not against any rule.

Midnight Bourbon also ran a good race and put a lot of pressure on Medina Spirit. While he was pressuring MS in the stretch, Rombauer ran by both of them. Midnight Bourbon would have won it if not for Rombauer. A tough race for Medina Spirit, tougher than the Derby as it turned out. Of course, Medina Spirit was fresher in the Kentucky Derby.

If there is a point to this, I believe that the drug thing had nothing to do with the results of either the Derby or the Preakness.

Medina Spirit is not racing in the Belmont Stakes. I don't know when he will race again. I would like to see him win the Travers or the Haskell Stakes.
Shawklit Won.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun May 16, 2021 6:39 am

Watching the Preakness, it looks like it was the easier spot for "any" horse - the field is so much smaller. Derby is such a crowd it seldom sets up for any closers. It's interesting that Rombauer is out of an unraced mare who is out of an unraced mare... on closer inspection it is a very nice family indeed.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun May 16, 2021 3:56 pm

That mental pressure on frontrunners makes a huge difference, especially by a contender. MS ran credibly. The Derby furor will die down. BB will probably walk...again...

jm