Bellamy Road

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:07 pm

hi Waquoit

In general, I thought the article was quite well done...although some might consider the title of the portion of the article that was specifically related to the Santa Anita Derby to be a bit harsh. As you are aware, writer Steve Haskin titled it 'Scavenger Hunt.'

It's probably fair to say that the fractions and the final running time for the Santa Anita Derby were very uninspiring...although Wilko's last 1/8th mile in 12 2/5 was (which Haskin reminded us). Think about it...23.60...47.32...6 furlongs in 1:11.34...a mile in 1:36.45 and the mile and an eight in 1:49.18...over the Santa Anita dirt track (which by the way was listed as Fast)...on a clear day...in a G1...ouch. I suggest that those times...under those conditions...in a Grade 1 at Santa Anita are NOT impressive by any stretch of the imagination. And when compared to the fractions (1:10.31...1:35.61 and a final time of 1:42.38 ) in the only other race on the card...that same day...that was run on the same Fast dirt surface and beyond a mile (in this case an Allowance Optional Claimers NW2 X for an optional $62,500 tag...going 1 1/16 miles)...understandably some questions might be raised re: not only what transpired but also the caliber of horses that ran in the SA Derby.

Regardless of the times (if you recall Haskin wrote "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than Beyer Speed figures.")...Haskin commented re: Buzzards Bay that "there is no reason to think that the Santa Anita Derby will be his crowning achievement." He went on to describe Buzzards Bay as "a tough brawler" who can "run on the lead, make a big middle move to the front as he did on Saturday, or lay back and make one run as he did in the El Camino Real Derby (gr.III), in which he bled severely but still finished third."

And Haskin described Wilko as "the tough little horse" and likens him to "a terrier that grabs you by the pant leg and refuses to let go." He highlighted Wilko's quarter-crack problems and piled on the accolades...reminding us that "he is a Breeders' Cup winner and he'll never back down from a fight." He also reminded us that Wilko's "been through the wars on two continents, running 14 times against some of the best horses in Europe and America. And he's barely 15 hands tall."

It's clear that Haskin believes that Wilko may benefit from the "longer stretch at Churchill Downs" and the extra 1/8 mile of the Ky Derby...and that "he still has to be considered a solid contender." I agree.

Respectfully

Waquoit
Allowance Winner

Postby Waquoit » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:22 am

Very good points you raise, FOS. I’ve become more impressed with Buzzards Bay since reading about his gutsy race in the El Camino Real, even through some fairly heavy bleeding. I will never dismiss a horse who shows heart.

Overall I’m interested in seeing how the CA-based horses adjust (or don’t adjust) to the trip East, as well as the surface at Churchill.

Bellamy Road seems to be the horse with the dazzle – and I am still reeling from the sheer devastation he unleashed in the Wood. But I’m not ruling out Wilko. He’s got the pedigree, the experience, the tenacity and the stamina to pull it off come May 7. Some folks still feel his size puts him at a disadvantage, but small stature sure didn’t hurt Smarty last year!

In the past week, this Derby got a whole lot more interesting. I don’t hear the “This crop has no talent” quite so much anymore. :wink:

Middleground
Newborn

Chief's Crown Designated a Chef-de-Race

Postby Middleground » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:26 pm

"I also must say I love that Bellamy Road's sire is Concerto, a son of Chief's Crown. My filly Coquinerie is tail-female to Miss Carmie and its good to see more of that family being represented. Anything to help the family out!"

That should give a boost to the family and your mare.

In case you missed the news, here's the link.

http://chef-de-race.com/dosage/chefs-de ... _crown.htm

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:57 pm

actually FOS, Wilko remided me a bit of Thunder Gulch, but he was a giant compared to Wilko. He didn't grow a bit over the winter. 15 hands maximum, but with a 17-hand heart. It would be bizarre to see him running with Rockport Harbor.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:48 am

Sounds like Determine and Hasty Road, who finished heads apart (with Hasty Road winning) in the Derby Trial prior to Determine's winning the 1954 Kentucky Derby. Determine was about 15.1, Hasty Road close to 17 hands, and one sportswriter likened that pairing to "a terrier racing a Great Dane."
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

siegy
Allowance Winner

Postby siegy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:16 pm

louis finochio wrote:BELLAMY ROAD br. C 2002
Concerto---Hurry Home Hillary, by Deputed Testamony

Bellamy Road has the following sire lines within his 5 generation pedigree.

6 crosses of (Phalaris) thru Nearctic---Bold Ruler---Envoy---Endeavour---Fortino---and Raise a Native.

3 crosses of (Teddy) thru Admirals Voyage---Swoons Son---and Damascus

2 crosses of (Questionnaire) thru Rough n' Tumble---and Requested.

1 cross of (Fair Play) thru Intent.

1 cross of (Ben Brush) thru Acroterion.

1 cross of (Prince Rose) thru Prince John.

1 cross of (Gainsborough) thru Alibhai

1 cross of (Sundridge) thru Count Fleet

SPEED EARLY MATURING

Admirals Voyage
Bold Ruler
Intent
Envoy
Fortino
Raise a Native

STAMINA LATE MATURING

Nearctic
Swoons Son
Alibhai
Count Fleet
Endeavour
Requested
Prince John
Damascus

Bellamy Road has a balance of speed and stamina, and will have a shot at the TC distances, by his inherited ancestors. Good Luck Bellamy Road in the TC.

hi lous,
for your eyes only! you ar correct.
so here the numbers:
early maturing:
admiral voyage 6-1-2-9-1
bold ruler 5-3-3-7-1
intent 4-1-2-2-1
envoy 8-1-0-8-2
fortino 5-1-2-2-5
raise a native 3-1-4-5-3

late maturing:
nearctic 5-1-9-8-0
swoons song 4-1-3-6-2
alibhai 5-1-6-6-1
count fleet 5-1-9-3-2
endeavour 2-1-6-1-2
requested 6-1-6-5-2
prince john 6-1-9-7-1
damascus 6-1-5-4-1

the dosage does tell what is what!!

best Siegy,
:)
Flora is beginning of biology, chemistry is master.