Santa Anita Derby

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Santa Anita Derby

Postby henthorn » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:38 pm

What an amazing race! :o All eyes were on Sweet Catomine, and some on Wilko and Giacomo. Only Wilko came in the money :? . And I don't think I heard the other two mentioned during the race, as the long shots prevailed handily. :shock: $1 exacta $751.40, $1 trifecta $6,635.50; what a day for those who won. :D And what a day for those who lost. :cry: :x I just kept laughing and shaking my head when it was over. Of course I didn't have them either :roll: . Buzzard's Bay kept to task and won pretty easily, with General John B and Wilko duking it out for place. THAT was a race to talk about! :!:

For those who hadn't heard:
$2 ticket pays the following.
Buzzard's Bay win $62.20, place $21.80, show $10.80
General John B place $40.40, show $15.60
Wilko show $ 4.20

Giacomo 4th at about 3:1 odds, and Sweet Catomine 5th at even money.
Rocking H

mumtaz
Yearling

Postby mumtaz » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:13 pm

Was Wilko game or what?! That little horse just kept coming. :D Had he not been caught wide all the way around, I think he would have won it.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:17 pm

Wilko certainly looked sharper than he has earlier this year, so maybe his foot problems are finally behind him.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

el camino
Allowance Winner

Postby el camino » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:31 am

Giacomo really did not have an excuse, except the pace was a little slow. He had them in his sights put could'nt make up the ground in the end. Nice ride by Smith. I would think the top 4 from this race would be going to Kentucky.

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:18 pm

Mahubah wrote:Wilko certainly looked sharper than he has earlier this year, so maybe his foot problems are finally behind him.
my thoughts exactly after that race.....even thou i cant stand jeff mullins.....good job training the winner. BB was 4-5 wide most of trip & it seemed he had them at any time he wanted.....but wilko looks like he's ready for a big big effort in his next...provided he came back ok.
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:41 am

The winner earned the victory - set the pace and repulsed all challengers. Yet no one wants to talk about him...is it the Mullins factor?
Roving Boy

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:15 pm

From the bush tracks of Utah to the great race place Santa Anita. Jeff Mullins is a rising star in the training ranks.

Jeff is a hard worker and has made some mistakes along the way, but Its all apart of maturing into the excellent trainer that he now is.

When Bobby Frankel retires, I would recommend Jeff Mullins for the Juddmonte trainer. Jeff is that good as a trainer.

I remember when Wayne Lucus was winning out of turn and most of his fellow trainers were saying he was cheating and given performance enchancers to this TB. Well this was jealousy as Wayne was winning at a fast clip.

More power to the leading trainers, its the hard work they put in that deserves recognition.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:17 am

Wayne Lucas shipped East with Consolidator to avoid Sweet Catomine in the SA Derby. This was a mistake on the part of WL, as his Consolidator missed a big payday in the SA Derby.

Consolidator liked the Santa Anita main track, as WL said when your TB are in super form you run them, you dont keep them in the barn.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio