SHAMARDAL ON DERBY TRAIL ?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

louis finochio
Darley line

SHAMARDAL ON DERBY TRAIL ?

Postby louis finochio » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:57 pm

Is 2yr. old champion Shamardal b. c. 2002, by Giants Causeway---Helsinki, by Machiavellian still on the Derby trail, or has he gone to the sidelines?

Shamardal has 12 crosses of (Phalaris) in his 5 generation pedigree.

With this many crosses of (Phalaris) It will be interesting to see how many starts he has left in the tank.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:00 pm

After he performed so poorly on the dirt in the Derby prep in Dubai, he was taken off the Derby trail, while his connections reconsider his next move.

MillyMix
Yearling

Postby MillyMix » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:01 pm

From what I was told today, hes injured along with Parole Board
Quality is not expensive.....It's priceless

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:08 pm

Sad to hear Shamardal is injured. When the mating was made to produce Shamardal, the breeders were not researching the sire lines of his parents.

When will the breeders wake up and realize that fashion breeding does not hold up on the racetrack, as the sales pavillion will return many times their original investment, these same breeders will sacrifice soundness for a high profit margin on their return.

Louis Finochio

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:45 pm

Wasn't he bred by the Maktoums? I thought they bred to race. :?:
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

Mike
Allowance Winner

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:57 am

I'd be pretty happy with myself if I'd bred such a good animal.

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Shamardal

Postby George William Smith » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:43 am

Slightly sore shins after the race according to word I got today from UAE. Hardly a significant injury. :roll:

BenB
Sophomore Sire

shamardal

Postby BenB » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:46 am

I,ve doubt it before, that sand or turf would suits him. The main reason
he,s tall and growing. Beyond that as a yearling he suffered back problems (might be o.c.d). So the owners should left him, with his old trainer who is having plenty of traininggrounds without benches etc.
Returning to europe should be the best for him (shamardal).
And racing on very large turf tracks

Ben

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:12 pm

Shamardal had three cervical compressions, causing wobbler syndrome. He was slated to be euthanized, but was rehabbed with acupressure and energy work.

Didn't know about the sore shins, thanks.
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:21 pm

I did here that he shin-bucked in the UAE Derby. Darley bought the horse after his 2yo campaign. I was recently at Darley at Jonabell and as I was getting the tour I asked the guy giving the tour "How many foals will be retained by Darley?" and he said "Everything". They only breed to race. Got to see Sharp Cat and Windsharp too. I know you're jealous.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:49 pm

I hope Shamardal recovers and makes it to the breeding shed.

Shamardal needs mares that are non-(Phalaris) to add soundness to his offspring. I hope his connections see the light and will breed along those lines.

If Shamardal is long and tall thin frame as Ben stated, he will need stout mares to offset his lean and tall frame.

Time will tell what kind of a stallion Shamardal will become.

Louis Finochio

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:50 am

Any info on whether the tendency to beome a wobbler is inherited? If Shamardal indeed showed this as a yearling, I sure wouldn't want to send a good mare to him unless I knew the problem wasn't likely to be passed on.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:44 am

louis finochio wrote:Sad to hear Shamardal is injured. When the mating was made to produce Shamardal, the breeders were not researching the sire lines of his parents.

When will the breeders wake up and realize that fashion breeding does not hold up on the racetrack, as the sales pavillion will return many times their original investment, these same breeders will sacrifice soundness for a high profit margin on their return.

louis finochio wrote:I hope Shamardal recovers and makes it to the breeding shed.

:?: :?: :?:

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:49 am

The 12 crosses of (Phalaris) sire lines that Shamardal has will magnify the problems of his ancestors. If the wobbler syndrome is in his ancestors background then Shamardal will pass it on to some of his offspring.

This is the problem with inbreeding or line-breeding to the same sire lines in TB when it is multiple or many duplications of the same lines.

Louis Finochio

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:02 am

Louis, I understand the concerns you've posted about Shamardal. That's why I was suprised that you hoped he would be standing at stud, especially since you thought his breeders made a mistake in producing him.