Bandini--I am going to get slammed for saying this

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Bandini

Postby BenB » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:50 am

If dope, or hormones or any in europe forbidden substances, would be nessecary in order to step up in racing quality, I would
quit imidiately and give her ( my filly) away

Ben

marg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby marg » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:50 am

Had a friend buy a yearling a couple of years ago and after it had been home awhile called to say his horse had shrunk.I laughed but it was not funny.Good old steroids at work.I used to come home from yearling sales and go out to the barn and wonder why all my yearlings were so small in comparison to many I had seen at the sales.I still choose to go natures way and let them grow up as and when they should.Marg.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:12 pm

I had a trainer from Hastings say to me that she wouldn't buy a yearling that looked like a 2 yo because she wanted a horse that grew up like a horse. I wish I could show you the pic of my 2yo when I put him through a sale. He looked great, and it came from being on pasture for 3 months, then he came in and I groomed and exercised everyday, as well as feeding him Calf-Manna and a rice bran product called Custom Fit. He looked great then, and still looks great now, coming 2. his trainer also said she didn't like raising foals on the BC coast because you got a "mushy" horse who couldn't handle adverse conditions. Meaning, she like them raised in the intreior where they had to deal with forests, and hills, and the like. SHe stated t made them better able to deal with mis-steps on the track because they learned to compentsate for uneven turrain, and she felt they stayed sound longer. I found that interesting, and logical too if you
really think about it.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

adrienne
Allowance Winner

Postby adrienne » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:45 am

I guess I don't know the specifics, but is it too hard to believe that this trainer might be building muscle through a correct fitness regime?

It's amazing how fast you can put muscle on a horse with correct work.

At Iowa State we bring our yearlings in 4 months before the sale. We work them in the large round pen up to a sweat 4 times a week (usually about 15 minutes). Within those 4 months they look completely different and are often the most fit and muscled horses at the sale. No steriods, no cocktails. Just grooming and appropriate exercise.

Too bad a lot of people don't want to take the time to do this and go for shortcuts. But trust me - it will SHOW later on.

Having muscled horses may just mean they are fit and built up properly for the athletic output expected.

~Adrienne

She's a Devil Due
Newborn

Postby She's a Devil Due » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:03 am

Ill-bred wrote:
roving boy wrote:
Also realize that there are a number of supplements that increase the Total Carbon Dioxide levels...."milkshakes" are not the only way to increase these levels. Remember that GastroGuard was responsible for Elusive City's DQ in two stakes in England....

Would GastroGuard be off limits now at tracks that are testing for "milkshakes"?

Currently in IL Gastroguard can be administered up to 24 hours before a race. Last year it was 48 hours. Gastroguard is not illegal to use, only illegal to run on. If horse wins or a special is called and horse has been given GG within 24 hours, horse will test positive when it goes to the spitbox.

tartan
Newborn

Postby tartan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:54 am

Todd Pletcher had Cocaine positives in 1999 at Gulfstream and was suspended. Florida dropped the case in 2002 when the lawyers threatened a huge lawsuit against the Florida wagering committee.

In my opinion Pletcher and his buddy Frankel are two of the most suspect people in racing.

Around 1999-00 they start winning 30+ % of races. Sometimes even 50% of the stakes races on any major Saturday at Belmont or Saratoga.

Around the same time when alchemists all over the world are peddling their concoctions of EPO and Growth hormone

There is more than coincidence here. Hall of famers such as Mcgaughey Whittingham Van Berg and Stephens just a few years earlier were lucky to break the 20% clip with their best horses. Future hall of famers such as zito have never won 30% of stakes races.

Yet along come these two who routinely accomplish it with "project horses" Horses that make 3-4 starts and need months to get over their hangovers and then are never heard from again.

Does anyone actually believe that their training practices are that much revolutionary and responsible for an almost doubling of winning percentage? Give me a break.

timex
Maiden Special Weight

Postby timex » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:30 am

adrienne wrote:I guess I don't know the specifics, but is it too hard to believe that this trainer might be building muscle through a correct fitness regime?

but that's the BORING answer! LOL. much more fun to speculate on what sort of drugs, steroids, ect they're pumping into the horses. i mean, plain ol' correct work? blech!
Jennifer Breslin
Different Times Equestrian Ventures
& Short Fuse Stable
[email protected]

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Bandini

Postby BenB » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:35 am

Racing in the US, seems to me one large chemist lab. Looking who,s
giving the best stuff. Practize european racerules, and get done with it
helps the breeding and racing far and far more.
Changing the dirt tracks in horsefriendly tracks with another surface would
helps much more, I suppose.

Ben

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:51 pm

hello......earth to all.......the fact is a majority...and probably a big one use steroids of some sort and i think over all that if properly used dont hurt the horse. are there cases that they do ? im sure.as for your breeding stock , not thats a different story.....they can screw up your mare, in stallions, diminish sperm production, shrink the teste's, all sorts of wonderful things.there is a time and place for almost...i said almost anything.....they should not be used on young horses before there growth plates in there knees are closed. if they are they cause the plates to close prematurely...thus you have a youg horse with added bulk that is a strain on young legs. if anyone is interested there is an old book that explains all this in detail...."drugs and the performance horse" by thomas tobin. you can get old copys online at amazon .com. it is a extremly helpful book and all performance horse owners should read it. it should be required reading before you are given a owners or trainers license.the book is from 1981 so you have to understand some drugs are not talked about. but most all are and it is excellent....milkshakes, anablolic steroids the list goes on and on. a must read for all of us.
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

reenci
Grade II Winner

todd pletcher

Postby reenci » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:53 pm

give him a break he is an outstanding trainer.
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:56 pm

does anyone remember what they used to call nick zito in ny ? they used to call him the butcher ! and nick is another outstanding trainer.