Hollywood Park this past Sunday

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:01 am

roving boy wrote:Louis - are you becoming as fanatical as the Turn To guy?

Could not the link to Phalaris be explained simply by the predominance of his presence in the general population?

Also don't you have to look at the horses that don't break down to see if there is a justified link and not just coincidence based on the fact that Phalaris is everywhere?

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:09 am

louis finochio wrote:Slewsbag is a product of Devil's Bag over a grand daughter of Seattle Slew, these two stallions are a recipe for a disaster.

Isn't that just a form of redboarding Louis? What about Devil His Due who is by Devil's Bag out of a Raise A Cup mare? Raise A Cup was an unsound son of an unsound stallion and both of them did much less running on the track than did Seattle Slew. Devil His Due ran 41 times. So how did he manage to do that without tripping over his genes?

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:41 pm

Devil His Due has 5 crosses of (Phalaris) thru Nasrullah---Polynesian---Escamillo---Pharamoud II and Royal Charger.

This is far below the 8-12 crosses were are seeing in todays TB.

Devil His Due is line-bred to 2 non-(Phalaris) sire lines that being of the following.

Devil His Due is line-bred 5X5 to Mahmoud (Swynford) sire line.

Devil His Due is line-bred 5X5 to Balladier (Peter Pan) sire line.

Devil His Due started 41 times, thus is evidence of the hybrid vigor and soundness that was magnified by his breeding.

You can see the difference of soundness when these non-(Phalaris) sire lines are doubled up in a stallions pedigree.

The Hall of Fame breeders that have passed on would be in shock and disbelief if they were alive today and see the unsoundness that has resulted from the 8-12 crosses of the (Phalaris) sire line is producing today
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:14 pm

louis finochio wrote:
Devil His Due is line-bred to 2 non-(Phalaris) sire lines that being of the following.

Devil His Due is line-bred 5X5 to Mahmoud (Swynford) sire line.

Devil His Due is line-bred 5X5 to Balladier (Peter Pan) sire line.

Devil His Due started 41 times, thus is evidence of the hybrid vigor and soundness that was magnified by his breeding.

The only problem is that Devil His Due came from unsound horses.

His damsire Raise A Cup ran only as a two year old and made 6 starts. In that way, he was almost the perfect mirror of his sire Raise A Native who ran only as a two year old and made 4 starts. Both set track records in New York at 5.5 furlongs but were too fragile for lengthy careers.

I know that hybrid vigor and Phalaris is your pet theory but isn't it as likely that Devil His Due got some of his starch from his dam who started over 30 times and her dam who started another 30? Isn't a good deal of what we call soundness on this board a matter of conformation, of angles and bone? Isn't a lot of it about offset knees and long pasterns and upright shoulders and cowhocks etc etc? Aren't those things that you inherit from your immediate ancestors, not necessarily those 7 or 8 generations back?

And to that end, both Devil's Bag and Slew are known for transmitting knee issues. I wouldn't presume to say that this tendency had anything to do with what happened the other day but it would give me pause if I was planning the original mating. What that has to do with Phalaris though is anyone's guess.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:55 am

Any time you ignore the same double fault in the stallion and mare, the foals will suffer the consquences. This is why the Devil's Bag and Seattle Slew matings are a negative for unsoundness.

Louis Finochio

Loree
Newborn

Postby Loree » Tue May 10, 2005 9:53 pm

louis finochio wrote:I talked to Apo the foreman for C. Lewis and Apo said Space Invader took a bad step and injured his tendon. Space Invader will be turned out for 6 months then returned to racing.
If you visit the Lewis barn again any time soon, would you mind asking what's going on with the horse L.L MOODY? I heard he had surgery recently, but nothing else. I would be eternally grateful. :D

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed May 11, 2005 6:35 am

I will check on L. Moody on Thursday and post what I find. Be Well, Louis.

Louis Finochio

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Thu May 12, 2005 12:53 pm

L L Moody had a little filling in his knee that required no surgery.

L L Moody had 90 days of R&R, and will be coming back to Santa Anita to resume training.

Thanks Apo the foreman for C. Lewis for the info.

Louis Finochio