Kenny McPeek is retiring

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

madelyn

Kenny McPeek is retiring

Postby madelyn » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:11 am

from training to focus on the bloodstock portion of the business... interesting... was on last night's news. He was one of the good guys.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:32 am

I agree. Did the news article state if he'll be focusing on breeding his own or on bloodstock and pedigee advice?

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:48 am

Not the breeding, the consulting/pedigree/bloodstock business...

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:40 pm

Thanks Madelyn. Do you know if he has a website up and running yet?

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:27 pm

Not that I am aware of... if I run into him I will ask him...will be at Churchill Sunday/Monday

liberty
Maiden Special Weight

Postby liberty » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:11 am

Something doesn't add up. Could it be health?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:51 am

I think what doesn't add up is the amount of time and hard work involved in being a trainer versus the cash rewards. Counting the difficulties and heartbreaks, and the ongoing annual migrations required... it is hell on a family. It can be a relative financial roller coaster.... If one can be successful with bloodstock and pinhooking, it is a much less stressful way to go. At face value, he wants more time for his family. I did the same thing four years ago... it may result in less money but money ISN'T everything....I wouldn't try to read deeper than that.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 01, 2005 6:50 am

The world of TB Racing is a sport for senior citizens as they have plenty of time to pursue their handicaping. It sure beats staying at home and developing cabin fever.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Sun May 01, 2005 5:54 pm

After reading the article last week, I found his website, and called him directly, to wish him good luck. He was a gentleman, open to discussing his plans and business.

Much of what Mr. McPeek is doing will revolve around the South American thoroughbred markets (Brazil, Argentina, Chile). That is why I called him, it might be interesting to add some new blood while trying to find some value.

The website I found is: http://www.mcpeekracing.com/

StrawberryFelidos
Allowance Winner

Postby StrawberryFelidos » Sun May 01, 2005 9:47 pm

louis finochio wrote:The world of TB Racing is a sport for senior citizens as they have plenty of time to pursue their handicaping. It sure beats staying at home and developing cabin fever.

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eh, don't worry about the lack of racing interest in today's kids- once they get to be old farts they'll be devouring the DRF! :P
You gotta love it.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Mon May 02, 2005 11:05 am

I cannot blame McPeek, the South American bloodstock trade is very healthy and since his success with Hard Buck he has an idea of whats required and whats available. I visited Argentina in the 80s and loved it. Speaking as a trainer the winners are a great rush but after a while you find that unless you contain your costs and stay in a small zone you will be nickel and dimed to death as each state wants a piece of you for licences and workers comp and no matter what your successes are the owners are mere temporary blips on the radar, very few in for the long haul. However, nobody said it was easy thats why we jump and scream when everything falls into place.