Consolidator out of Derby.

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Consolidator out of Derby.

Postby Bill from WA » Mon May 02, 2005 7:56 am

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon May 02, 2005 10:48 am

hi Bill from WA

Consolidator (as a race horse) is probably finished ("cracked sesamoid" per TB-Times article)...

...so many of the Storm Cats seem so fragile...hmmm.

Best to you.

Respectfully

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Mon May 02, 2005 11:17 am

I dont know about you guys but he looked very uncomfortable coming down the lane in his last start and the Tbred Times photo of him running shows a curled-up horse , not really stretching out at all.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Mon May 02, 2005 2:18 pm

Jesus Cerillo who has worked for Wayne Lukas for over 20 years told me this morning that Consolidator had a quarter crack, then a sesmoid problem and should have never run in the Blue Grass as this race pushed Consolidator over the cliffs edge.

If the owners of Consolidator told Wayne to run then the owners at fault.

This is a matter you wont read in the papers, as it would be another black eye for TB racing.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon May 02, 2005 4:54 pm

hi louis

I find the info that you share with us very interesting...thanks.

Did your contact (Jose Cerillo) indicate a timeline related to the quartercrack...then the sesamoid...then the fracture.

Best to you louis.

Respectfully

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Mon May 02, 2005 6:01 pm

To FOS: I will talk to Jesus Cerillo on Tuesday an put the pieces together.

Louis Finochio

StrawberryFelidos
Allowance Winner

Postby StrawberryFelidos » Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm

I think this goes a long way in suggesting why the owners have been eager to get Going Wild into the Derby even though he's been performing poorly- they probably realized that their top contender was faltering and knew to prep their backup. Running a weak second stringer when you already have a top horse seems to make little sense, but when you're down to one... Hey, understudy, step it up, it's your turn now!

It's my wha...my turn?!?! :shock: Oh My God...

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Tue May 03, 2005 5:25 pm

If the Derby is run on an off track, the 2nd stringers will be equal to the favorites, as a superior off track 2nd stringer would move up in the off going.

I hope the track is fast and may the best horse win. Lets get it on.

Louis Finochio

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed May 04, 2005 8:43 am

Not gonna be an off-track... we've had a dry week and it's supposed to be sunny in the 70's for Derby.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed May 04, 2005 1:54 pm

After all the derby dust has settled, the trainers of the also rans will say the track was to hard and it favored the speed horses.

Since all the TB have to run on the same surface, its the TB with the super condition and super form that is going to sweep the roses.

I dont like those people that cry the blues after the derby has been run, as it detracts from the winners and there connections.

Louis Finochio

Tairaterces
Grade III Winner

Postby Tairaterces » Wed May 04, 2005 3:28 pm

louis finochio wrote:After all the derby dust has settled, the trainers of the also rans will say the track was to hard and it favored the speed horses.

Since all the TB have to run on the same surface, its the TB with the super condition and super form that is going to sweep the roses.

I dont like those people that cry the blues after the derby has been run, as it detracts from the winners and there connections.

Louis, the winner will be the horse that likes running on the highway. Which is how CD sets it up to set a track/stakes record. I guess(?) you can call that fair . . . . . .can't you?????

Is running on the highway condusive to "sound" racing conditions. I bet those horses legs will be sore for a week or two.

Tairaterces
"and Secretariat let no one down on the unforgettable afternoon of June 9, 1973, when he ran a hole in the wind"
~Bob Ehalt~

Avatar: Istabraq (Sadler's Wells x Betty's Secret by Secretariat) Champion Hurdler

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed May 04, 2005 3:53 pm

Anytime the track surfaces are hard or they roll the track with a steam roller before the rain arrives, so the water will run right off the track it creates a hard track.

When these conditions are present the TB are given bute before the race so the track wont sting their feet.

Now you know why most of the Euro TB dont like are hard US dirt tracks, as they are used to the soft going turf courses in their home country.

Dont forget that as you said it will take some of these TB 10 days or more to get over their tenderness from their derby effort.

Round 2 the 2nd jewel of the TC, just when the TB are getting over their soreness the survivors will have to run in the next TC race.

Round 3 the 3rd race of the TC, if they are any TB that can survive and run in all 3, it will take an iron horse to do the same.

The problem is these TC races are run to close together. I have discussed this with trainers and they all agree to the above.

Why cant the TC officials see the light of day and run these TC races with more time between the 3 jewels.

When you look back at the TC winners and think how they dominated their foes and completed their sweep, it has to be a thrill of a lifetime for the owners and breeders.

Louis Finochio

Tairaterces
Grade III Winner

Postby Tairaterces » Wed May 04, 2005 4:21 pm

Hi Louis,

I think you are missing the point. Why would you seal the track if it's not going to rain. If they left the track alone, would the horses be as sore after racing on a more cushiony track?

The spacing and length if each jewel is just fine. We have had 11 Triple Crown winners in 85 years, and as I think you know they tend to run in streaks.

Please explain what is wrong with the Thoroughbred horse of today that they can't win these three races in a row. (IMHO I think Smarty would have won the TC if they would have let him run his own race and not the trainer/jockey race)

Best,
Tairaterces
"and Secretariat let no one down on the unforgettable afternoon of June 9, 1973, when he ran a hole in the wind"

~Bob Ehalt~

Avatar: Istabraq (Sadler's Wells x Betty's Secret by Secretariat) Champion Hurdler

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed May 04, 2005 5:39 pm

To answer your ? of why we dont have more TC winners today, the answer can be found in the pedigrees of TC winners.

What you will find is the balance of sire lines in their pedigree. Affirmed and Secretariat are examples of this.

When you look at their pedigrees you will find the breeders believed in outcrossing to breed a TB that could stand up to the training and racing of the TC series.

The result was these TC winners had extremely strong bone and underpinning.

Today the pinhookers dont look for this lost soundness, when they plan their matings. All there interested in is making a nice profit by breeding to fashion so they can sell there TB for a profit.

There putting money before soundness thats why were in this unsoundness era today.

When will this pendulum swing the other way. When the buyers catch on a refuse to purchase the progeny of a stallion that averages 8 starts or less.

Louis Finochio