NBC Post Parade intros mentioned only 2 sires...Why?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

FOS
Freshman Sire

NBC Post Parade intros mentioned only 2 sires...Why?

Postby FOS » Sat May 07, 2005 11:45 pm

hi guys

Did I miss something?

Go back and look at your video (or Tivo) of the Ky Derby post parade introductions by NBC announcer Tom Hammond.

During the post parade each horse was introduced by Hammond...but no sire names were announced...unless it was a Fusaichi Pegasus or a Giant's Causeway. What was that all about...am I missing something?

Why did this happen...hmmm.

Respectfully

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Re: NBC Post Parade intros mentioned only 2 sires...Why?

Postby Sam » Sun May 08, 2005 12:00 am

FOS wrote:hi guys

Did I miss something?

Go back and look at your video (or Tivo) of the Ky Derby post parade introductions by NBC announcer Tom Hammond.

During the post parade each horse was introduced by Hammond...but no sire names were announced...unless it was a Fusaichi Pegasus or a Giant's Causeway. What was that all about...am I missing something?

Why did this happen...hmmm.

Respectfully

Because NBC SUCKS! when it comes to horse racing coverage, as do most networks (It was called the "Breeders' Cup" for 20 years .. yet how many times did they actually bothered with the BREEDERS of the horses?). There was nothing nefarious about it, just their alarming ineptitude.

They can cover any other sport in this country with knowledge and competency, but when it comes to horse racing, they treat it like it's midget tossing night at the local redneck bar. Every "behind the scenes story" is nothing more than some idiot gimmick because they don't know squat about horse racing and figure no one else does either. ESPN is only MARGINALLY better except they have some of the WORST on-air talent in the land (Randy Moss and his idiot co-hort Kenny Mane should NEVER be on TV again). The only thing worse than network coverage of horse racing is FOX's coverage of baseball.

I can't stand watching anyone but TVG's coverage anymore. Which was fine because they'd left the camera/mic on Ken Rudolph during the Derby today and played it back after the race .. priceless. :D

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Sun May 08, 2005 7:16 am

We don't get TVG, unfortunately. Back when I did, I watched a filly I had a hand in raising break her maiden. I could flirt with Julie in emails. It's a fun place.

What I never understood is why the mares get NO recognition at all, though they provide more than half of the DNA and ALL of the raising?
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 08, 2005 7:30 am

Those ariel photos of the Tb running in the Derby were NG.

The beauty of watching the TB run was lost, as the man in the moon had the 50 yard line seat, and us at home were taken for a ride.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Actually, I respectfully disagree, Louis

Postby Denise » Sun May 08, 2005 7:36 am

I thought the aerial replays were very useful. It showed me what a dreadful ride Alex got from Rose, and why he was tuckered out at the end of the race. The kid had him weaving in and out up behind horses so much, he had little gas left, but lots of heart, as usual. Had Rose been patient with him like Mike Smith was with Giacomo, Alex might have been able stay ahead of Closing Argument or even pull ahead on the rail. He wouldn't have had to wail on him with that stick, which I absolutely detest.
Dump Rose, please, Tim. Get a good rider.

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Sun May 08, 2005 8:57 am

NBC's coverage was abysmal. They spent time on the few top betting choices and completely ignored the rest of the field. They could have cut out the sob story about the Alex's lemonade stand and spent more time on the horses in the race. How did you like the customer complaining about having to pay $3 for a cup of lemonade! Geesh.

One reason they didn't mention the sires of the horses in the post parade is that they didn't even get to every horse. I'll have to re-check my video but they stopped introducing horses somewhere around #17 or so. And the only other time in the past we have gotten to get a look at the entrants was as they loaded into the gate. Not this time as the first horse we saw load was # 11.

You would think that there were only 5 horses in the race, but oops, only one of the horses they featured finished in the top 3.

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Sun May 08, 2005 12:45 pm

He stopped at 19 by accident, then gave 20. I was chuckling at his nervousness.

It would be nice if the program was more structured - say, giving three minutes to the background of each horse/trainer/jockey, and skip the hats. (What with all of the commercials, that's all the time you would have.)

I liked the story about Alex's lemonade, but 1) I already knew about it, as many people do, it's been in the news, yada yada yada, and 2) it was very poorly produced, and ate up time that might have been used on The Kentucky Derby. :roll:

Get someone in there who actually gives a damn about the race to produce the show. Hell, Nicholas Evans was a TV producer, call him up!

WHY AM I RANTING? I DON'T KNOW! :lol: Who's on first, and I don't give a darn!
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 08, 2005 5:13 pm

For those non Tb fans that thought TB racing was decesed and buried years ago, the finish if the 131st Derby brought them back from the dead.

This Derby has brought back the interest of he non TB followers, as I live in the city with couch potatoes. When I went out on the town every one was talking about the Derby. This is what can happen when TB racing gets exposure on national tv.

To all those TB that ran in the 131st. Derby thanks for the memories.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Mon May 09, 2005 7:20 pm

You have hit on one of my PET PEEVES when it comes to the televised coverage of major Thoroughbred races....no real mention of the breeding - or at the best, no consistent mention of the breeding.

THE WORSE OFFENDER is the ironicly (and iconicly) emblazoned BREEDER's CUP Race Coverage. You'd tend to think in a race series organized by Breeders, whose nominations payments is the 'seed' money for some of racings' top flight competitions - and whose very imprimatur emcompasses the word "BREEDER" - that you'd certainly hear something about the contenders' breeding, wouldn't you......Well you'd be very disappointed.....as I have been for the last three B/C Day's programs. They used to tell you during the post parade who the sire and the dam, the dam's sire were....now all you get is a bunch of useless "chatter".....the equine version of "color commentary" which has made televised sports a total turnoff for me. Now I watch with the "sound" turned off so I don't have to work so hard to ignor all the nonsense that has nothing whatsoever to do with the game.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Mon May 09, 2005 7:29 pm

Denise - I respectfully differ with your assessment. I thought Jeremy Rose gave "Alex" the ride of a lifetime....IN a Derby with a true rabbit and all that front end speed in the potential field....plus a full field of 20 it was a DERBY that was ONLY going to be won by a closer....Specificly a closer ridden by a trip meister....I wouldn't have bet Jeremy Rose because of his lack of experience, though I think highly of the horse, but I got an education last Saturday. Mr. Rose threaded the needle of a surging cavalry-like charge that then became a staggered series of 'groups', each awaiting their opening, their moment to fire, like a pro. It's not Rose's fault that Mike Smith - who IS an experienced trip meister - similarly but slightly better - threaded the needle with his mount, "Giacomo". Both jockeys form the aerial view did absolutely superb jobs - just what I would want a jockey to be able to do and which I find so few have the patience and understanding of their mounts to do.