Bellamy Road's Derby

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Terlingua
2yo Maiden

Bellamy Road's Derby

Postby Terlingua » Sun May 08, 2005 8:16 am

Hi everyone.
I'm one of those people who posts infrequently & usually for information related to my collection of thoroughbred photos, so the familiars on this site don't really know me at all. This being the case, I will start by saying that I wish only the best to Giacomo & his connections, and certainly don't want to diminish his victory in any way.

But I am very irritated by the strategy used by Bellamy Road's jockey and/or trainer. I've watched the Derby for over 35 years -- it's a family tradition dating back over the years, so I know some about the fact that, to quote Vincent O'Brien after Nijinsky's Arc, "You can have the best horse in the field and get beaten by a donkey." Now, Giacomo is no donkey & Lord knows his daddy was a wonderful horse, but I tend to go with analysts like Charlsie Cantey, who kind of played out the issue re: Spanish Chestnut & Bellamy Road before the race. She's a smart, savvy woman who usually has important observations & her take was that Javvy needed to hang on to his colt and not get into play with Spanish Chestnut & likely a torrid early pace, which was the case.

Then I watched in disbelief as he did just that. Of course, I also know both the jock & the colt lacked experience, but I felt so bad for the horse in the stretch. You could see how confused he was -- pulling up and then trying once more to come back. But, by then, there was nothing left. Javvy told the press this morning that the colt just wasn't having a good day. Well, that can happen too. But even High Fly & Afleet Alex seemed to struggle, although Alex was giving it his all.

I really don't think that Bellamy Road's Wood was a fluke. I think he's a talented, inexperienced however, colt. I'd like to see him go to the Belmont, that's for sure.

What do the rest of you think? I'd particularly like to hear Louis' thoughts on this.... :idea:

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sun May 08, 2005 11:19 am

Zito needs to take that colt back to New York and LEAVE HIM THERE for the rest of the season.

Skip the Preakness, since there is no reason to run in it. The Belmont should be his for the taking with his long stride. The Jim Dandy and Travers will be a cake walk and the Breeders' Cup is at NY this year. There is NO reason for this colt to run outside NY this year and if he takes even 2 of those 4 races, he'll get the 3yo title.

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Sun May 08, 2005 12:35 pm

[HIJACK]

Terlingua...wasn't/isn't she at Lane's End? I used to rub on her somewhere, but I can't remember which farm.

[/HIJACK]
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

saintlyCZ
Maiden Special Weight

Postby saintlyCZ » Sun May 08, 2005 1:52 pm

Sam: I cannot agree. If he isn't tired, I'd definitely try Preakness. His Wood was gorgeous, he's very very fast horse and he has the speed to win it. I'd rather miss the Belmont, I'm not sure he would stay mile and a half...
But if he goes anything, he's still much better than he showed in Derby! What a stupid tactic to take him to the lead when 6 furlongs are run in 1:09... :? Castellano's ride cost him the Roses, unfortunately...
Avatar: This wonderful horse is my big love: Czech-bred horse Heretic, son of fantastic sire Rainbows for Life out of great dam Hairy Dream.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Sun May 08, 2005 2:07 pm

Actually I thought Javy gave the colt the best ride he could given the size of the field. He was slightly off the pace. He kept him from getting a lot of dirt in face. The colt was getting green coming into the stretch turning his head to look at High Fly to his inside (blinkers needed maybe) and he just got tired. Lots of class speed (Madcap Escapade comes to mind) stopped on the day. I definitely don't think he embarrassed himself beaten less than 7 lengths. I would take a shot at the Preakness if he's feeling okay. BTW, Spanish Chestnut sure didn't help Bandini and actually outfinished him after setting those insane fractions.

Terlingua
2yo Maiden

Bellamy Road's Derby

Postby Terlingua » Sun May 08, 2005 3:49 pm

Hi again.

Gee -- I'm glad to know there was discussion on this point....when no one responded I thought., okay, probably a soft-headed message. I mean, like someone else said here recently: I'm a learner & I do worry about sounding like a twit to the rest of you.

I agree about taking Bellamy Road on to New York and working with him some more. After all, he's got more experience post-Derby, right? I remember what Turcotte said about Secretariat & it's true of a lot of these big colts -- they need time to get their bodies in-sync. That's why I think the Preakness is not really "on" for this guy -- it's just too short and I'm inclined to think he's no sprinter. I would like to see him begin to try some new stuff out there --- learn that he doesn't always have to be on the lead. But is that likely, or are some horses just one-dimensional in their racing style? Or is it just too early to say with this green guy?

Yeah, I also noted the look towards High Fly...it kind of made me smile when I watched it again. It was as though he'd finally found someone in there who looked familiar!

About Terlingua. She's at Overbrook Farm where, according to some photographers who've visited her recently, she's treated like a queen. One who saw her a few months back said that, at 29, she's looking sleek & sassy! She's healthy & happy. I'm in love with her & have some just great shots of her in my home as a "mature" lady. My dream is to see her in person within the next few months.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 08, 2005 5:47 pm

Bellamy Road was not striding like he was in his earlier preps. Maybe the track was stinging his feet.

The decision to run BR in the next two jewels will be unfolded in the next few days, as his condition will be monitored by Nick. Then Nick will make the decision to go and run or give BR the time he needs to get over his sore spots and catch his breath.

The TB that back off their feed and lose weight will be in need of a rest to bring them back on track.

In my experience that TB that are line bred and have many crosses of the same sire lines will run one or two good races then will toss in a dull effort.

The TB with the outcross pedigree's will bounce back quicker and will eat up and not lose weight.

You can only get out of a TB whats bred into them.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

liberty
Maiden Special Weight

Postby liberty » Sun May 08, 2005 5:57 pm

Sam, I can think of $1,000,000 reasons to run in the Preakness.

and

2nd jewel of the triple crown

and

a son of Concerto (no enormous stud fee for him no matter what he does)

If he's OK, let him run and we can determine how good a horse he is.

Sam

Postby Sam » Sun May 08, 2005 6:15 pm

liberty wrote:Sam, I can think of $1,000,000 reasons to run in the Preakness.

You're point? There's a couple million dollar G1s for 3yos he can run in later and win and never have to leave his home state.

liberty wrote:2nd jewel of the triple crown

The Preakness is the bastard, red-haired step-child of the triple crown with absolutely NO real significance other than that middle race to get all three. Why do you think so many of the "Name" horses from the Derby by pass the race? If it weren't for the allure of the triple crown, there's no reason to run in it and I doubt it would even have been a G1 in some of the runnings prior to the bonus taking effect. In fact it was Spend A Bucks defection from the race and the rumour of a grade drop that brought about the bonus in the first place.

liberty wrote:a son of Concerto (no enormous stud fee for him no matter what he does)

Who said anything about establishing a stud fee? I don't see the point in running the colt back in two weeks. He'll stand a better chance at taking the 3yo title by sitting out the Preakness and running in (and hopefully sweeping) the 3 3yo races in NY (Belmont, Jim Dandy, and Travers) which sets him up perfectly for the Breeders' Cup which is ALSO in NY this year.

liberty wrote:If he's OK, let him run and we can determine how good a horse he is.

If he's okay, why burn him up but turning him back in 2 weeks when Zito can do EXACTLY what he did LAST year by taking 5 weeks off and winning the Belmont with a horse that most certainly DOES have the back stamina to win at 12 furlongs?

Running in the Preakness is a waste of time unless you are gunning for the triple or a local. Giacomo will NOT win in Maryland so there is no real reason to be afraid of making a run at 3yo honors against a horse that has two legs.

It would be better to give the colt the 5 weeks off (which is pretty much what he is USED to) and let him make a run at the major 3yo races in the fall than to burn him up by turning him back on 2 weeks.

liberty
Maiden Special Weight

Postby liberty » Mon May 09, 2005 1:20 am

Sam,

Thanks for the kind words "bastard step child" about the Preakness. Isn't it better to win one leg of the triple Crown than none? In terms of running back in 2 weeks, isn't that what Snow Chief did after he finished 10th in the Derby? And Point Given, Tabasco Cat, Hansel, Risen Star, Prairie Bayou, Pine Bluff! Did "Mr Fitz" have Bold Ruler wait for the Belmont after his Derby loss? No he ran in and won the Preakness. I don't want a 3 year old champion that ran in 4 or 5 races, unless he was unbeaten.

And did it occccur to you that possibly Bellamy Road lost because of his lack of seasoning? Only 2 preps in his 3 year old year. I think that the Preakness would be the easiest of the triple Crown races for Bellamy Road to win, if he is the "real thing".

You mentioned a rumor from years past about downgrading the Preakness to a G2. Surely you know that was a figment of someone's imagination.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Mon May 09, 2005 6:08 am

If BR came out of the Derby the same way he came in then BR will go in the Preakness.

BR schedule of Derby preps was planned long ago, thats why he only had a few starts before the Derby, as his plans were to run in all 3 TC races.

The average fan doesnt realize how much these TC races take out and drain the resources of these TB.

BR has 5 crosses of (Phalaris) and is bred from a balance of 11 non-(Phalaris) sire lines, this will help him bounce back from his efforts in the TC races.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon May 09, 2005 11:21 am

louis finochio wrote:If BR came out of the Derby the same way he came in then BR will go in the Preakness.

I seriously doubt Bellamy runs in two weeks, that just isn't Zito's style. He knows which horse is his best and BR is the one he's going to protect.

Flower Alley will probably go, Sun King MIGHT go, but I bet he sits on Bellamy and Noble Causeway until the Belmont.