Lost In The Fog gets two challengers

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Tairaterces
Grade III Winner

Postby Tairaterces » Mon May 16, 2005 2:34 pm

Ill-bred wrote:Note that Lost in the Fog is not nominated to the Breeders' Cup either..... :roll:

By what I understand the connections are in no hurry to do the BC dance. They are thinking more in terms of 2006 for the BC, when he will be a more seasoned and sturdier 4yo.

Tairaterces
"and Secretariat let no one down on the unforgettable afternoon of June 9, 1973, when he ran a hole in the wind"
~Bob Ehalt~

Avatar: Istabraq (Sadler's Wells x Betty's Secret by Secretariat) Champion Hurdler

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon May 16, 2005 3:00 pm

hi Sam...hello Ill-bred

Since Lost In The Fog's sire (Lost Soldier) was a BC nominated stallion the year that Lost In The Fog was conceived (2001)...it will cost $90,000 (9% of the guaranteed purse) to supplement LITF to the BC sprint. Had Lost Soldier not been a BC nominated stallion in 2001...the Supplemental Fee would be $200,000 (20% of the guaranteed purse money for the BC Sprint).

Of the $90k supplement (assuming Lost In The Fog is supplemented)...$30k is considered the pre-entry and entry fee, and the balance of $60k becomes added-money to the purse.

Sounds to me like the Supplemental Fee will be a non-issue.

Best to you.

Respectfully

Final Voyage
Yearling

Postby Final Voyage » Mon May 16, 2005 3:23 pm

90k OH MY , Geez for that i could have a pretty fancy new barn built!!![b]

:shock: OUCH!!!!
All Roads Lead Home When You Know Where Your Going... And Sometimes When You Don't!

Tairaterces
Grade III Winner

Postby Tairaterces » Mon May 16, 2005 4:03 pm

Lost in the Fog has record run
- Larry Stumes, Special to The Chronicle
Sunday, May 15, 2005

As Lost in the Fog effortlessly put more distance between himself and two overmatched opponents on the turn of Saturday's $90,000 Golden Bear Breeders' Cup Stakes, the crowd began to roar and the race became one against the clock.

Lost in the Fog won that one, too.

With jockey Russell Baze hardly moving his hands, Lost in the Fog hit the wire in 1:07.32, the fastest 6 furlongs ever run at Golden Gate Fields.

"He amazes me," trainer Greg Gilchrist said. "He was 1-to-9; he was supposed to win, but the time and the way he did it is the thing. You just don't see that happen a lot.''

"He can run the second quarter-mile as fast as the first quarter, and you can discourage a lot of horses at that point. Good horses don't look like they're running fast."

Although Wind Water was supposed to try to beat Lost in the Fog to the early lead, he broke sluggishly. So Lost in the Fog enjoyed a clear advantage after just a few steps, making his sixth victory in six starts a foregone conclusion. The final margin was 10 lengths, with Wind Water 6 1/2 ahead of Olympic Miler.

"Plan A was to go, but for some reason, he didn't break sharp today," said Frank Alvarado, who rode Wind Water. "After that, the plan was done. I didn't want to send him after Lost in the Fog. Wind Water is a nice horse and I didn't want to get his heart broken, so I took care of him and got the easiest second-place finish I've ever had."

"Once he didn't break, all he would have done if he went with him was make him run 1:07 flat," said Brian Koriner, Wind Water's trainer.

Lost in the Fog led by 1 1/2 lengths after a quarter-mile in 21.46 seconds, by 4 after a half in 43.32 and by 7 after 5/8ths in :54.92.

"He was on his toes today," Baze said. "He didn't lose his footing leaving the gate today like he does sometimes. I let him run a little bit at the quarter-pole, and then I had a lot of horse left. I could have gone faster if the need arose, but it didn't."

As easy as Lost in the Fog's victory came, it wasn't his most decisive. He won the Arizona Juvenile by 143/4 lengths in his second start, setting a Turf Paradise track record of 1:13.55 for 6 1/2 furlongs.

His other victories came by 7 1/2 lengths in his maiden debut at GGF, by 4 1/2 in the Sunshine Millions Dash and 43/4 in the Grade 2 Swale Stakes both at Gulfstream Park and by 41/4 in the Grade 3 Bay Shore Stakes at Aqueduct.

"He's different than he was three months ago," Gilchrist said. "He's had more races, he's traveled, he's a lot fitter and more tucked up. We've been fortunate that he's stayed sound and didn't have any bumps in the road."

The road will be more traveled in the future as Gilchrist and Aleo look to races like the Grade 2 Riva Ridge Stakes on June 11 at Belmont Park, the Grade 2 Carry Back Stakes on July 9 at Calder and the Grade 1 King's Bishop Stakes on Aug. 27 at Saratoga.

"It's a good chance we'll run in the Riva Ridge next, because that fits into our schedule, but we have to see how tired he is after this race," Gilchrist said. "We'll take 10 days to two weeks before we decide for sure."

Someone mentioned the Breeders' Cup Sprint, a race in which Gilchrist finished second with the great filly Soviet Problem in 1994.

"The Breeders' Cup is getting out there a ways," he said. "We don't like to look ahead that far. The thing about the Breeders' Cup is that they run it every year, so you don't have to get excited about it with a 3-year-old. We want to be able to race this horse next year."

Before Saturday's race, Gilchrist compared Lost in the Fog to Soviet Problem this way: "She's still ahead of him, but he's gaining ground."

After Saturday's race, Gilchrist said: "He drew a couple of lengths closer. If he runs another like this, she'll be a bad second."

Aleo, the 85-year-old real estate mogul born and raised in San Francisco, isn't easily excited. But Lost in the Fog has an effect on people, whether it be Aleo, Gilchrist, Baze or the crowd of 6,060, about twice that of a normal Saturday, that cheered him before, during and after Saturday's race.

"Jesus, what a horse," Aleo said. "This is a super horse."

roving boy
Allowance Winner

LITF

Postby roving boy » Mon May 16, 2005 4:19 pm

Think what the Kings Bishop could be:

Lost In The Fog
Roman Ruler
Spanish Chestnut
Proud Accolade
Afleet Alex (maybe they would drop him back?)

Speed, Speed, Speed!
Roving Boy

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Tue May 17, 2005 6:01 am

FOS wrote:hi Sam...hello Ill-bred

Since Lost In The Fog's sire (Lost Soldier) was a BC nominated stallion the year that Lost In The Fog was conceived (2001)...it will cost $90,000 (9% of the guaranteed purse) to supplement LITF to the BC sprint. Had Lost Soldier not been a BC nominated stallion in 2001...the Supplemental Fee would be $200,000 (20% of the guaranteed purse money for the BC Sprint).

Of the $90k supplement (assuming Lost In The Fog is supplemented)...$30k is considered the pre-entry and entry fee, and the balance of $60k becomes added-money to the purse.

Sounds to me like the Supplemental Fee will be a non-issue.

Best to you.

Respectfully

Thanks FOS. I just noticed that he wasn't eligible for the BC money at GG.

I'm glad it's just the $90,000 and not the $200,000. Hope we see him in the Breeders' Cup.

Playwithfire
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Playwithfire » Fri May 20, 2005 10:21 am

I was at Golden Gate fields last Saturday and although the track seemed a little souped up, there weren't any other eye popping times on the day. Although the following day, in an early race some Allowance horses ran 108 1/5 for 6F, which is pretty darn fast too. He was just absolutely floating across the track w/ no urging whatsoever. I'll be interested to see how he fares against older horses if/when he faces the nation's top sprinters.

Here are some photos from the day that I took.

http://www.thoroughbredmemorabilia.com/modules/gallery/Lost-in-the-Fog-May-2005

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri May 20, 2005 1:49 pm

hi Playwithfire

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos with us.

OUTSTANDING !!!

Also, your comments and insights re: LITF (in the flesh on race day)...the "souped up" (your words) racetrack...and the time you reported that a 6f allowance race was run in (1:08 1/5) early the next day...might have offered some perspective re: LITF's performance.

"Souped up" or not...he's one very fast racehorse...1:07 1/5...WOW.

Respectfully

Playwithfire
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Playwithfire » Fri May 20, 2005 4:06 pm

Thanks FOS. I got a new camera and absolutely love it.

I'm a huge fan of the local boy. What's interesting is that a horse called Egg Head ran 111:28 in a comparable race classwise at Delaware park and Beyered 112. THat's nearly 4 seconds slower. Its unreal that the surface would be so much different. I think the 2nd and 3rd horses in the Golden Bear timed much faster than that.

I think he's an absolute monster, and hope he continues his brilliance. My take on his path toward Breeders' Cup is that his owner is old school. He's 85, rich and a sportsman. I think he would love to run his horse in that race if he and Gilchrist think they can win. Whether they breed him or not, I don't know, but given his age and LotF not so stellar pedigree, I think (or perhaps hope) he'd run him as a 4yo barring injury.

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat May 21, 2005 3:35 am

Those are some great pictures; thanks for sharing them with us. And welcome to the forum. :D
Rocking H