I "salute" Phipps

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

hdembski
Maiden Special Weight

I "salute" Phipps

Postby hdembski » Thu May 12, 2005 6:36 am

Gotta love what i see today in the Belmont card "Salute" Unbridled on top, Personel Ensign on bottom! Yesterday "smuggler" who won, breed the best to the best, thank God for breeders like him..

LSB
Grade II Winner

Re: I "salute" Phipps

Postby LSB » Fri May 13, 2005 6:04 am

hdembski wrote:thank God for breeders like him..

I have to agree, it's wonderful the way he has nurtured several wonderful families through numerous generations. Unfortunately people like him, who are willing to make a longterm financial committment to breeding excellence, currently seem to be a dying breed.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Fri May 13, 2005 6:12 am

Thanks for pointing this out... having a Personal Flag mare and not seeing any Unbridled crosses on the nicking report, it may be an avenue to look into!

hdembski
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hdembski » Fri May 13, 2005 8:53 am

Salute didn't win, but having bet for over 20 years i love seeing the different combinations of horses he comes up with and how they will turn out. I was hoping survivalist and defer would have been in the derby but not to be, but 2 more great horses from him. Having bet for so long, when i see the black silks with cherry red cap, you just have such respect and admiration for what that family has done. I saw Pletcher up at Saratoga and he was just acting like he walked on water. Easy to do well when your getting every best bred horse from your millionaire owners.

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri May 13, 2005 9:26 am

Last September at the Keeneland sale I bought a Phipps bred filly from the Claiborne consignment. Her name is History (she was already named and you have to love those Claiborne one word names) and she's by Coronado's Quest x Colonial Review by Pleasant Colony (Colonial Review is a full sister to Dance Colony.)

Now while I'm waiting for her to grow up, I get to watch her well-bred and talented siblings race in the black and cherry silks. :)

hdembski
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hdembski » Fri May 13, 2005 12:45 pm

did a quick look up, i love that breeding, 17 crosses to Phalarsis. I'd love to own a piece of that one! I'm envious of any owner. I'm just a better who dreams of owning some day, but owning seems to be for the rich. I'm hoping to find a situation where i can own maybe a meager 5% of a horse, one time fee and sit back and say i at least own part, or to go down to the winners circle, someday maybe!!! I'll be looking for HISTORY!!!

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Sat May 14, 2005 10:21 am

Thanks for the kind words about History. She's a nice filly and I'm delighted to have her. To tell the truth I had no idea she had any crosses to Phalaris in her pedigree, much less 17. Probably heresy to admit on this forum, but as a breeder and an owner, I'm much more interested in what the families have done in the last 3-4 generations than what they were doing a century ago.