Smarty Jones featured on OLN (Outdoor Life Network)

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Final Voyage
Yearling

Smarty Jones featured on OLN (Outdoor Life Network)

Postby Final Voyage » Sat May 14, 2005 7:24 pm

The show is called FEARLESS. :D Its on right now, again at midnight (central standard time) and a few other showings. Please excuse me if anyone else has already posted this information. :oops:

They are featuring the career of Smarty Jones and his bid for the Triple Crown. :!: Pretty good background on the horse's owners and good info on racing in general.

http://www.olntv.com/showviewer.asp?sid ... 93573#desc

Hope this link to the OLN show view works. :idea:
All Roads Lead Home When You Know Where Your Going... And Sometimes When You Don't!

citation011
Weanling

Fearless and Smarty Jones

Postby citation011 » Sun May 15, 2005 12:19 am

Thank you for the heads up(your OLN link does work)- I just caught the midnight version- It was awesome- Smarty is greatly missed(what a horse). I toured Three Chimneys the day before the Derby and had the pleasure of checking Smarty out up close and personal- He is some specimen!

Final Voyage
Yearling

Postby Final Voyage » Sun May 15, 2005 11:14 pm

Lucky you!! :mrgreen: HOpe i can get to Three Chimneys and see him someday! I was most touched by the Chapman's history and the connections about "recovering :oops: alcoholics" between them and jockey Stewart Elliot.

I had to admire how they kept Stewart Elliot up on Smarty when Derby time came despite his inexperience with Churchill Downs and the Derby. Lesser folks might have chickened out when coming in with such a" big "horse and important race. Gotta admit i was one who felt Smarty got "cheated" when a little "Bird" swooped in and stole his crown!!

I liked how they mentioned Smarty was the first horse to go undeafeated into the Derby since Seattle Slew, and that Smarty stands stud where Seattle Slew did. :D
All Roads Lead Home When You Know Where Your Going... And Sometimes When You Don't!

citation011
Weanling

Postby citation011 » Mon May 16, 2005 6:48 am

The story behind the Chapmans was very interesting. I was a little surprised to hear that Elliot's mount was ever in doubt. It also struck me as funny how the Chapmans responded to Servis and his Arkansas route to the Derby. It is very neat that Smarty resides in the very stall that once belonged to the great Slew. I have several nice pictures of Smarty- if you would like-send your email address and I will pop you a couple over.