Very Weak Pimlico Special

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

chicago78
Maiden Special Weight

Postby chicago78 » Mon May 23, 2005 12:58 pm

I still don't think it was that bad of a field. Second of June and Badge of Silver scratched, probably due to weather, which did soften it up a bit. And time has nothing to do with the quality. The track was real heavy. Eddington looks like a legit mile and a quarter horse. And he beat a group of horses that were very accomplished in the mud. The competition was a combined 10 for 17 with 3 second place finishes on off tracks. Eddington's going to be very tough for the rest of the year.

The most interesting thing about him, in my opinion, is that he's getting better with age and racing. If you look at Unbridled's grade 1 winners, I think all of them with the exception of Eddington won their first grade 1 at two or three. Unbridled was a very good sire, and his horses usually showed whether they were brilliant or not very early on. His best horses have been absolute freaks. But not for a long time. Unbridled's Song, Halfbridled, Empire Maker, etc. Anees, Red Bullet, and Grindstone ran one big race and were never heard from again.

Really the only horses of his that sustained careers were Banshee Breeze and Manistique, and now Eddington. If you go through his progeny records, it's basically unraced horses and millionaires. Not too many 200k and 300k earners. It's to the credit of the people handling Eddington that they have kept him sound and racing for two years. If he stays healthy, I would think that he's going to be a very tough horse the balance of the year.

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Mon May 23, 2005 1:57 pm

Unbridled at a glance....(died in 2001)

Foals of Racing Age 582
Starters 406 (70%)
Winners 254 (44%)
Stakes Winners 42 (7%)
Graded Stakes winners 22 (3.8%)
Starts 4,621
Wins (/starts) 737 (16%)
Earnings $42,993,114