Preakness Day?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Preakness Day?

Postby henthorn » Sat May 21, 2005 4:21 am

I can't believe everyone here is as ho-hum as I am about the Preakness today. I see no chatter about how the race stacks up. I haven't even checked to see the entries or past performances. There could be some really great performances today to vindicate the failures of the past races, or to cement the public's confidence in Giacomo. I'm guessing this will be a mixed year, with no real standouts until later.
Rocking H

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sat May 21, 2005 5:16 am

The general felling is that Giacomo is bred to be in the Belmont winners circle. That has taken the edge off the TC winner for 05.

But as always you can expect the unexpected as the TB will have their say on who wins what.

May the best horse win and may they all have a safe uneventful trip.
Lets get it on.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat May 21, 2005 7:28 am

Does anyone know how Wilko is doing? Only info I saw was that he arrived at the track, but didn't read anything on his general condition. To be honest, I haven't even checked the final field... yeah, ho-hum is a good way to describe it!

I hope all goes well, too... I'd like to see Giacomo win, so we have some hope of a Triple Crown this year, but guess we'll see! :wink:

Linda in TX
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Preakness Day?

Postby Linda in TX » Sat May 21, 2005 9:14 am

henthorn wrote:I can't believe everyone here is as ho-hum as I am about the Preakness today.

The field is rather ho-hum. Perusing the past performances yesterday I had the feeling I was looking at the entries in a $40K claiming event rather than one of our Classics.

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat May 21, 2005 9:39 am

Has anyone ever won both the Ky Derby and Preakness with a closing style like Giacomo? I've always felt the closers don't use up as much energy as the front-runners, just because they can relax and draft in behind horses. And they have the late run to look forward to instead of just trying to hold on to the lead, which could be boring, and while they are already weary.
Rocking H

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 22, 2005 7:29 am

The TB will run front or behind like their ancestors did, as this is an inherited trait.

When a breeder plans his matings in hope of breeding a Derby winner, the result will be a Derby winner.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio