Kudos to Zito - re: his post-Derby & Preakness demeanor

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 29, 2005 2:41 pm

Spectacular Bid's farrier was flying out from the east coast to shoe the him on race day and the weather didnt permit so the filght was cancelled.

Richard Anderson our local farrier at SA was called upon to shoe SB, and it had no effect on SB, as he won big.

If a farrier makes a mistake and trims to close it will effect the outcome on race day.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Sun May 29, 2005 3:52 pm

Hi Madelyn,

Actually, I have (for football) worn new cleats and like them new. I also remember loving the feeling of spring in my run as a kid in new sneakers. Now I don't know that there is any connection to horses with human shoes or how a horse might feel in theirs.

I asked the question because I know a number of trainers who will shoe on race day. Not that they are dogmatic about it, but if they feel that a correction can assist the horse, it's a good thing to do. I've seen some dramatic improvements with changes made by a good farrier. Mud caulks is pretty sure sign that the horse has been shod recently (save Mike Hushion and his adoration for high heels).

Racerx's comments made it seem that he (she - sorry?) knew a good or a number of good reasons not to shoe on race day and I was simply interested to hear those reasons.

Can't say a thing about show horses, not my field, but any trainer who knowingly allows a horse to be shod that they know gets sore from the process is a jerk.

Regards,

Pete

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 29, 2005 6:23 pm

Years ago when the farriers wanted a raise from 12.00 to 18.00, Rex Ellsworth got mad and had all the shoes pulled off his TB and ran them with no shoes and still won races. LOL

If Ellsworth was alive today he would still be running them with no shoes as the farriers are getting 125.00 and up per TB.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:38 pm

hi guys

Is it possible that Nick Z has been watching his P's and Q's in a conscious effort to alienate no voters (if at all possible) in hopes of garnering the necessary votes for selection and induction into Racing's Hall of Fame ?

Maybe that's why he's been such a diplomat...and arguably such a boring Mr Nice-guy in the last year or so.

Regardless...now that it's a done-deal...maybe post induction-ceremony he'll get back to being the colorful and spicy guy (at least to some extent) that otherwise seems to have become like a contender for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Arguably the old Nick was a lot more fun when he was less predictable...but maybe his selection for the 'Hall' has overwhelmed him...and he is a changed man.

Congrats to Nick...he obviously did what it took.

Respectfully