Luaks and Frankel back to reality

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

jim10366
Weanling

Luaks and Frankel back to reality

Postby jim10366 » Sun May 22, 2005 1:01 pm

BOBBY FRANKEL (Trainer of High Limit, 5th) – "He ran good, didn’t he? Where did he finish? I think he was fifth. If Lukas’ horse wasn’t with him he would have won, and where did his horse finish?"

Yup he would have won Mr Frankel. How dare Going wild try and run with your horse. :lol:

D. WAYNE LUKAS (Trainer of Going Wild, 14th) – "Those fractions were too much for my horse. I don’t think he’s got the quality for these. He’s one-dimensional.

Really? Thanks for finalllllllllly figuring that out.

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Sun May 22, 2005 1:19 pm

As for Going Wild, it's pretty sad that people who have never even touched the horse can figure him out sooner than the trainer.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 22, 2005 4:02 pm

Theres vintage years and lean years, If Lukas and Frankel cant stand the heat in the kitchen Its time to leave.

I just saw both of the rebels slip out the back door of the kitchen heading for fresh air. LOL.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

hdembski
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hdembski » Mon May 23, 2005 6:45 am

Lucas is reminding me of Jerry Rice lately. He should quietly give way to the other trainers. He was only relevant when being hand fed the top bred horses year after year. Frankel should be quiet too, he had 2 horses in Belmont's feature and should have won for fun yesterday. He's not quite as invincible as he wants to believe. Still, he gets the best bred horses and has all the top riders on board, betting wise you always have to use him. High Limit had no shot and only EGO had him in that race that he had no chance of winning.

HR LLC
Starters Handicap

Postby HR LLC » Mon May 23, 2005 7:18 am

I dont think Lukas is done. He still has something left. I think he should give up on the Triple Crown trail when he knows he does have the horse to compete. Missing the Triple Crown races to him is to much. He ran Buckle Down Ben in the KY Derby when he know the horse would not beat the ambulance around the track....

hdembski
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hdembski » Mon May 23, 2005 7:36 am

I respect what Lucas has done in the industry but i think he rarely has the horses best interest in mind. If i was the owner of going wild i'd never have raced that horse in the preakness. Wild needs shorter races or even turf and easier competition. I really don't think anyone would think less of Lucas had he passed on the preakness. He still gets some well bred horses but he's not much of a factor anymore.

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Mon May 23, 2005 8:06 am

As much as everyone talks about Lukas (and I have been guilty of the same - and paid for it with Cat Thief!) one must also remember that the sacrosanct owners of Going Wild have a say, and they rarely miss a dance whether they are bringing a wallflower or not.

When I saw Criollito in a $3500 claimer at River, a few years after he had run competitively in G1's for those owners, I realized that they love the sport not the horse.
Roving Boy

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Mon May 23, 2005 11:44 am

I'm curious, Roving Boy. If you had as much money as the Lewises and as many horses, what would you do with all the ones that didn't go to stud? They can't all become the Lewises' pets. Maybe some of the OTTB rescuers could keep constant touch with these large stables and their trainers so that some of the horses with back class could be sent to them.

The trick for potential buyers after the expensive stables are done with their horses is to have an IN with them or their trainers, and know which ones still have some race left in them, or the athleticism and attitude to become family horses or hunter/jumpers.

I remember one of the successful trainers at Remington Park in years past had family ties with the farm in Florida that stood Relaunch, and she got alot of their rejects to train. They were very successful runners at our regional track, out of the limelight.
Rocking H

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Mon May 23, 2005 1:23 pm

Valid point Henthorn, that is a lot of horses to deal with; some of them will have to filter down the claiming ranks. However, a horse that had won a graded stakes for me is one I would want to protect a bit...assuming I had the money. That is what burned me about the Criollito situation, the Lewis's were notified the horse was in for that level and they did not do anything about it.
Roving Boy

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Mon May 23, 2005 1:39 pm

Both Lukas and Frankel will re-surface when the pendulum swings their way.

The cycles of stallions getting hot and the mares cooling off, goes together.

This business is either all good or all bad, right now both Lukas and Frankel have a big black cloud above their barns.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio

jim10366
Weanling

Postby jim10366 » Mon May 23, 2005 6:31 pm

Even though the owner may not care, the trainer must take an oath to put the horses health, interest and safety ahead of the sport and financial interests.

Especially someone of Lukas position and stature does not have to take orders from any owner