Will Zito's horse win the Belmont Stakes?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Keith
Grade III Winner

Will Zito's horse win the Belmont Stakes?

Postby Keith » Tue May 24, 2005 3:42 pm

Nick Zito definitely suprised everyone when he won the Belmont Stakes with Birdstone upsetting Smarty Jones. His stable has not done it so far in the Triple Crown races this year and he is overdue. Zito is tough on his home grounds and I would not be suprised if he rebounds. Smarty Jones looked unbeatable last year as Afleet Alex looks nearly unbeatable leading into the Belmont S this year. Will Zito win again?

Keith

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Tue May 24, 2005 4:49 pm

hi Keith

You ask..."Will Zito win" the Belmont?

I ask...with who?

Respectfully

HR LLC
Starters Handicap

Postby HR LLC » Tue May 24, 2005 5:10 pm

Unless they switch Giacomo, Afleet Alex, Dont Get Mad or Buzzards Bay to Zito's barn, I doubt he will win the 2005 Belmont Stakes.

Keith
Grade III Winner

Have you forgot about Bellamy Road

Postby Keith » Tue May 24, 2005 5:45 pm

If Bellamy Road runs he has a chance and there is Sun King, High Fly, Andromeda's Hero. He also has Pinpoint who won the Sir Barton S. Zito does have a chance. He did run first and third last year.

Keith

HR LLC
Starters Handicap

Postby HR LLC » Wed May 25, 2005 1:36 pm

[quote]If Bellamy Road runs he has a chance and there is Sun King, High Fly, Andromeda's Hero. He also has Pinpoint who won the Sir Barton S. Zito does have a chance. He did run first and third last year.

Keith[/quote]

At this point, Pinpoint and Andromeda's Hero gives him the best chance out the group you named. Sun King has lost by double digits in his last 3 races, High Fly was done on the backstrecth at Pimilco and I doubt if he runs in the Belmont and Bellamy Road cant breathe and run at the same time...

Do you really think Bellamy Road, High Fly or Sun King will turn their current form around in 3 weeks?

jim10366
Weanling

Postby jim10366 » Wed May 25, 2005 2:39 pm

Zito has already clearly stated after the Preakness that High Fly and Sun King would be freshened for summer races and not run in the Belmont. Bellamy road will not resume training for another 2 weeks and is going for the travers.

Sun King has not even won a mile and an eight race. He hung badly in the champagene and Breeder's cup and seems to have distance limitations.

Noble causeway's surgery is apparently a minor one and he may be ready. Zito did not rule him out. If he indeed entrapped his epiglottis in the Preakness then his performance from last to sixth is a remarkable one.

Pinpoint won the sirbarton. If he runs he will have to win the Belmont wire to wire as that is his style.

Indy storm won an allowance on Preakness day and may be pointed. Has the breeding.

Andromeda's hero appears to be a mirror image of Birdstone. Both ran horribly in the Lanes end and finished 8th in the derby.

So in summary his options are the front runner pinpoint who may turn out to be lone speed, and 3 deep closers in andromeda's hero, indy storm, and noble causeway.

Zito can certainly win with any of these. He has won the Belmont and finished 2nd 8 times.

His secret is to train his horses over the deep oklahoma training track at saratoga which is notorious for building stamina quickly.

One could clearly see that inside the final furlong of last years Belmont. Empire maker spent time there after the Derby as well as have many Belmont winners.

Neither Smarty Jones nor Funny cide did. Afleet alex and Giacomo will not either.

AfleetAlex
Weanling

Postby AfleetAlex » Thu May 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Andromedas Hero is running! I like him (but not as much as i like alex!) he is my second choice if he goes. But as of now he is. I think the added distance will help.
And BEGONE is GONE!

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 am

Afleet Alex ran the Preakness in a time that most TB will never do, and he did it with trouble. Nick Zito's TB cant even warm up to AA.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio