Am I really stupid?? Why would a trainer do this??

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

sstacy19
Allowance Winner

Am I really stupid?? Why would a trainer do this??

Postby sstacy19 » Sat May 28, 2005 10:44 pm

Ok, say you have a horse, now this horse was running poorly before you became his trainer and then vola you found out how to make him want to run and he starts doing well...moving up from a loser at $7500 claimer to a winner at $12500..so you keep uping his class..and then he comes in 6th in a$40+ thousand allowance race, so what do you do next with your low claimer??? YOu run him in a G3 stakes race against horses who could eat him for breakfast!! Not only do you pay a decent amount of money to get your horse in the race but, you also enter him in a $51,000 alw race for 2 days later. (He has not been scratched yet). Why would you do this to him? Why would you let him run dead last in a mile race (a distance he is not used to winning at, on the grass-keeping in mind he has NEVER started on the grass??) Is this really the race he should of been tested on the grass in? a guppy in a pool of sharks? Maybe I am really dumb here but I think that it was poor judgemet on the part of the trainer, he should of been scratched from the mile long grass G3 race and kept in the 6 furlong alw race in my opinion. (Ok I am mad because he is my mare's half sibling- and I was very impressed with the work his new trainer has done to improve him overall). Sorry just venting out loud.
"The blood runs hot in the Thoroughbred and the courage runs deep.
In the best of them, pride is limitless. This is their heritage and
they carry it like a banner. What they have, they use."

---C. W. Anderson

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Sat May 28, 2005 11:59 pm

There's others members that could give you a more correct answer.
here's my thought,some horses that suck on dirt can be better on grass,
or else the trainer needs to keep the horse active to pay for his new boat :D hehehe

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun May 29, 2005 6:18 am

what is horses name? is the horse in today? Cant comment till i see the form on the horse.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 29, 2005 7:20 am

When the trainer ran the horse over his head, he could be testing the TB ability to run on grass and giving him a condition race for a tightner, as his next start is already planned.

What is the win % of the trainer? Is the trainer a clever trainer at the claim box?

Some class TB that have problems will be dropped down in class and run poorly, until a clever trainer sees the problem and claims him and now the problem is solved by the new trainer and the old class TB moves up the class ladder and starts winning.

You have to find out what makes these TB tick, equipment changes, nervous needs a goat, doesnt like the inside post, doesnt like the groom, misses his old barn, his feed tastes different than his other barn.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Sun May 29, 2005 10:11 am

You're assuming that was the trainers decision.

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Sun May 29, 2005 4:16 pm

Hi Stacy,

It used to be more common to race and come back on short rest, but two days is VERY short rest.

No Bias did it long ago (like 1972?), using an allowance tightener to win the Fall High Weight H two days later.

Yuki, I don't know that the trainer makes more money if the horse doesn't win. Had the horse won - the trainer would have deserved a new boat :)

Louis correctly points out that some horses can be dramatically better on one surface or another. It's good policy to try a horse on turf when they're sharp. G3 is a tough race to try though. Sounds like the trainer or owner or both got too ambitious.

Regards,

Pete

lilli
Newborn

Postby lilli » Sun May 29, 2005 7:07 pm

my, my....are you asking about Treffinity entered at Monmouth on the grass in a grade 3 Red Bank and then entered 48 later in a NJ Bred Allowance? It's got to be the right horse, otherwise, there are two trainers out there that think alike.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun May 29, 2005 8:02 pm

i would think that they were hoping the Grade 3 race would come up light but if it didnt they had a backup plan and entered him in the Allowance race for Monday.

But they ran in the Grade 3 race so im assuming they are going to scratch out of the race tomorrow. Hes 10/1 ML.

He was 20/1 ML in the Grade 3 and 10/1 ML in the allowance race.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Mon May 30, 2005 2:41 pm

He was scratched today